• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How to answer the 5-6 mark question from AOS Paper 1? (2 Viewers)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
at my school, but we used student numbers (half yearly), and everything was marked in comparison to the marking criteria, so it will apply for the HSC and trial examinations, especially because the trials are being marked by the teacher that marked the half yearly exams.

All i'm saying is, as long as you answer the question, with a structure that the marker can understand, then i don't see why you won't get full marks (i did get 15/15 for section 1).

Quality > Quantity.
Was the marker a HSC marker?
Yeah, but the English criteria is very much open to interpretation.
That's a bit shit, since your externals are marked but two different teachers your internals should too.

Yes, quality > quantity, but the way you set things out is proportional to how well you can explain/how well the marker can understand.

irenefu

HSC
Ahhh fck fck fck . Anyone know for the extended response, are we allowed to partially agree, and contradict the quote, if our text doesn't support it ?

George121

HSC
Was the marker a HSC marker?
Yeah, but the English criteria is very much open to interpretation.
That's a bit shit, since your externals are marked but two different teachers your internals should too.

Yes, quality > quantity, but the way you set things out is proportional to how well you can explain/how well the marker can understand.
Yes, she was a HSC marker.

i completely agree with you in the sense that it is easier for the marker to understand, but if you can still answer the question by referring to the same texts in the same paragraph, then i don't see why you won't be awarded the same marks as some one who answered the question in 3 pages, when you only used one.

But then again, it all depends on the question, and how it asks you to answer it. It may say compare the texts, it may say show how they are different, or you may have to say how they compare and contrast the ideologies of belonging/not belonging. I just think that both approaches to answering the question can be taken if you provide enough quotes and techniques to support your answer, but it all depends on how strong a writer you are, especially under the pressure of examination conditions.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Ahhh fck fck fck . Anyone know for the extended response, are we allowed to partially agree, and contradict the quote, if our text doesn't support it ?
if the question says discuss or "to what extent do you agree" etc. then yes of course you can

George121

HSC
belonging can only ever say "show how they belong, show how they dont belong, or show both"

just try to incorporate both ideas, and use more support on the theme that answers the question, and the one that doesn't, you can mention how it is a consequence, and then relate back to the question.
I personally think it's easier to agree, rather than disagree

irenefu

HSC
Ohh no, I was referring to Section 3. Like if they use the quote:“Acceptance leads to contentment and self-realisation”. And ask you "How is this reflected in your prescribed and related texts".

Because in Modern History, I sort of disproved/disagreed with the quote we were given for the extended responses, and got a shit mark for not mentioning anything that was on the teacher's rubric. =|

George121

HSC
Ohh no, I was referring to Section 3. Like if they use the quote:“Acceptance leads to contentment and self-realisation”. And ask you "How is this reflected in your prescribed and related texts".

Because in Modern History, I sort of disproved/disagreed with the quote we were given for the extended responses, and got a shit mark for not mentioning anything that was on the teacher's rubric. =|
if it has been previously used, then it is highly unlikely to be used again :p
attempt to answer the question with what material you have, and try to say how avoiding "quote/question" can lead to the consequences of "your opposing quote/information" if the question doesn't support the information you have prepared

Remember, its only out of 15. Don't stress too much about it (like me) and just go into the exam, and during the 10 minutes reading time, try to think of ways to make your points match the question, and if it does match, then you may score yourself 15 :D

Goodluck!

madharris

HSC
N/A
Write a mini essay

Small intro introducing both texts

Para 1: both texts, include 1 theme/ similarities (depending what question is)

Para 2: both texts, include 1 theme/ differences (depending what question is)

1-2 sense conlusion

George121

HSC
Write a mini essay

Small intro introducing both texts

Para 1: both texts, include 1 theme/ similarities (depending what question is)

Para 2: both texts, include 1 theme/ differences (depending what question is)

1-2 sense conlusion
using just 1 theme/similarity or difference won't score you 5 marks, because it won't show that you fully understand the concept of belonging (or what the question asks).
You need at least 5 strong points which answer the question (i would use about 7 as a back up)

irenefu

HSC
if it has been previously used, then it is highly unlikely to be used again :p
attempt to answer the question with what material you have, and try to say how avoiding "quote/question" can lead to the consequences of "your opposing quote/information" if the question doesn't support the information you have prepared

Remember, its only out of 15. Don't stress too much about it (like me) and just go into the exam, and during the 10 minutes reading time, try to think of ways to make your points match the question, and if it does match, then you may score yourself 15 :D

Goodluck!
Haha ohh okay. Yeah I'm going to be doing some breathing exercises tonight and before I go into the exam tomorrow. thankyouu so much for the tips!:)

tambam

HSC
Intro line
First text analysis (can pretty much copy question a/b/c/d)
Second text analysis (can pretty much copy question a/b/c/d)
Third text analysis (can pretty much copy question a/b/c/d)
Conclusion line

Dat's it.

I got 4.5/5 in the HSC doing that.

And I was a Standard English student.

Easy as fuck.
+1
This is the way to go, just copy all the analysis you've done in the earlier sections, don't waste your time re-analysing.
If its compare and contrast belonging in two texts, just do 1 paragraph on each text, make links to the first text in your second paragraph etc.
Stick to the quote/technique/effect per mark rule, though generally if its 5 marks, i would do 6 of those to be on the safe side.
1 page is adequate for the 5 marker.

I did this for all my reading tasks in year 11&12 and got 15/15 for all of them.

George121

HSC
+1
This is the way to go, just copy all the analysis you've done in the earlier sections, don't waste your time re-analysing.
If its compare and contrast belonging in two texts, just do 1 paragraph on each text, make links to the first text in your second paragraph etc.
Stick to the quote/technique/effect per mark rule, though generally if its 5 marks, i would do 6 of those to be on the safe side.

I did this for all my reading tasks in year 11&12 and got 15/15 for all of them.
+1000 (on behalf of everyone else to)

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Both quality and quantity. It really depends on how big your writing is ofc but the very bare minimum 1 page if you have slightly below average size handwriting, just because generally two paragraphs will take up a page at least. I would have at least two solid essay-style paragraphs, and you could go for a third or fourth depending on how many texts they want you to discuss, or if the other two were short. Personally recommend 1.5-2 pages, just because the average person risks the chance of waffling somewhere, somehow, or saying something irrelevant. Sure if you're beast you can get 5/5 with a page or less, but not everyone is able to be concise and understand and pick out the key points of every text. Better to be safe and write a bit extra. One mark lost in S1 is one comparatively difficult mark to get back in S2/S3.

I used Riproot's method, but every paragraph ~1 or 2 links back to another text = full marks.

Not to say other methods aren't valid, but seriously ceebs fully integrating texts, then you don't have to flip around much either.

George121

HSC
At the end of the day, just do what the question asks, and show evidence, and you will score full marks.

It is easier said than done, but it isn't impossible

just remember, trials are like another practice paper for the HSC (that's the only thing that is preventing me from pulling all my hair out for tomorrow and tuesday)

just be sure to keep practicing before the actual HSC exam

irenefu

HSC
Does anyone have any examples of the full mark responses,so I know the approximate standard for a band 6 ?

George121

HSC
Does anyone have any examples of the full mark responses,so I know the approximate standard for a band 6 ?
the best example of a band 6 response would be practice :p

you can try searching the official BOS website i guess, not sure where else you could find band 6 answers

irenefu

HSC
haha it's a little too late to be practising - maybe after trials. Yeah I tried looking on BOS, but their answers were all in dotpoint =|

George121

HSC
haha it's a little too late to be practising - maybe after trials. Yeah I tried looking on BOS, but their answers were all in dotpoint =|
After trials just ask your teacher for sample answers, and then start practicing :p

I'm re-writing my essay one last time then im off to bed (i haven't memorized the main points yet) :(

Good luck with tomorrow, and let me (and everyone else i guess) know how you went/found the exam, and i will do the same :D

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, she was a HSC marker.

i completely agree with you in the sense that it is easier for the marker to understand, but if you can still answer the question by referring to the same texts in the same paragraph, then i don't see why you won't be awarded the same marks as some one who answered the question in 3 pages, when you only used one.

But then again, it all depends on the question, and how it asks you to answer it. It may say compare the texts, it may say show how they are different, or you may have to say how they compare and contrast the ideologies of belonging/not belonging. I just think that both approaches to answering the question can be taken if you provide enough quotes and techniques to support your answer, but it all depends on how strong a writer you are, especially under the pressure of examination conditions.
k.

But like, I'm pretty sure there is criteria for how understandable it is, so she doesn't really know what she's doing (no offence (actually complete offence, she should do her job right, you guys won't be prepared for externals)).
My mini essay was only ~1.25 pages.

Yeah, probs.

+1

see, this one knows what she's doing.

irenefu

HSC
After trials just ask your teacher for sample answers, and then start practicing :p

I'm re-writing my essay one last time then im off to bed (i haven't memorized the main points yet) :(

Good luck with tomorrow, and let me (and everyone else i guess) know how you went/found the exam, and i will do the same :D
Haha will do. You seem like a smart person, I'm sure you'll kill the test.

Goodluccck for tomorrow, and tuesday :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)