How to find out your overall rank in the state for a subject (1 Viewer)

D94

HSC
N/A
They would've had to pick between MX1 and EX1. Because the two started with the same amount of popularity.

And there it appears EX1 came out as more popular in the long run.
Well no because you need one more unit to get 12 units so you could either run both at the same time or at complimentary times offsetting with another 1 unit subject in year 11.

That's just lazy planning by the school. My school ran 8 extension courses, for which only 3 were ran outside normal hours (MX2, EE2 and Ext History, which is fair enough since they are HSC year only courses).

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Doesn't it seem a but ridiculous that your school can't fit in MX1 in standard hours? Sure your classes or school may be small, but schools covering 20+ subjects with more students have no issues, so either you don't have enough school periods per day or your school covers too many hours per subject. 200hours is the indicative for a 2 unit course so that's around 5 hours per week.
m8 I couldn't even get them to give me ancient history or senior geo
let alone run an ext on the timetable lol

leehuan

HSC
Well no because you need one more unit to get 12 units so you could either run both at the same time or at complimentary times offsetting with another 1 unit subject in year 11.

That's just lazy planning by the school. My school ran 8 extension courses, for which only 3 were ran outside normal hours (MX2, EE2 and Ext History, which is fair enough since they are HSC year only courses).
Subject lines are judged by popularity. There is also a (strange) push for 13 units in preliminary at some schools.

Running both at the same time, for her school, I suppose is possible. But it can easily clash with another preferred subject.

Of course people dropped at my school but initially people who wanted to do EX1 had 15 units because they wanted to do everything available on the lines.

EX1 had multiple interests. Some wanted to do the science, some wanted to do the humanities. Some elected the performing/creative arts.

D94

HSC
N/A
Subject lines are judged by popularity. There is also a (strange) push for 13 units in preliminary at some schools.

Running both at the same time, for her school, I suppose is possible. But it can easily clash with another preferred subject.

Of course people dropped at my school but initially people who wanted to do EX1 had 15 units because they wanted to do everything available on the lines.

EX1 had multiple interests. Some wanted to do the science, some wanted to do the humanities. Some elected the performing/creative arts.
I know how the lines worked. But popularity is beside the point - you can't just run one extension course in yr11 without a 1 unit course also running (13 units is a side issue, not relevant to the general discussion). If that ext course can run, then you can run another extension course during standard hours, regardless of popularity.

Sure it might not always work out, but having gone to a school that could fit 20+ subjects incl. Ext courses, gives the impression that the school in question could have planned better.

Also, what if students want to do extension 2 courses, or extension language or history courses? Those would have to be run out of standard hours, or just not offered. Seems like a rather shit school if the latter.

leehuan

HSC
I know how the lines worked. But popularity is beside the point - you can't just run one extension course in yr11 without a 1 unit course also running (13 units is a side issue, not relevant to the general discussion). If that ext course can run, then you can run another extension course during standard hours, regardless of popularity.

Sure it might not always work out, but having gone to a school that could fit 20+ subjects incl. Ext courses, gives the impression that the school in question could have planned better.

Also, what if students want to do extension 2 courses, or extension language or history courses? Those would have to be run out of standard hours, or just not offered. Seems like a rather shit school if the latter.
They managed to squeeze in MX2 for the end of the Yr 11 year. Then they accidentally messed up the teacher's timetable which is the only reason ours got shifted to before school. I never exactly argued against your point for the HSC only courses either.

Does her school offer 20+ subjects? I'd argue it's easier to fit it in with <20 because that promotes less collisions.

Schools want to cater for the needs and interests of students the most. Since compromise is beside the point, why must a 1 unit course exactly run as well as an Extension course, specifically, both the prelim allowed extension 1 courses?

I'm comparing this scenario to how our school offered MX1 for 4/8 periods on a line then SOR1 for the other 4/8 for now. Cool. They fit in SOR. Not surprising because I went to a Catholic school but ok.

Where can you slap in EX1 now?

You can't possibly just put EX1 to collide with MX1 OR SOR1. The alternative was that MX1 got sliced into the after school time slots and EX1 had the better outcome. They judged that by only popularity, and a certain trend that had followed for a while.

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
They managed to squeeze in MX2 for the end of the Yr 11 year. Then they accidentally messed up the teacher's timetable which is the only reason ours got shifted to before school. I never exactly argued against your point for the HSC only courses either.
Not arguing, just raising a few points :)

Does her school offer 20+ subjects? I'd argue it's easier to fit it in with <20 because that promotes less collisions.
I meant my school offered 20+ subjects and had no issues with running ext 1 courses during standard hours. Yes, fewer subjects would inherently result in fewer clashes.

Schools want to cater for the needs and interests of students the most. Since compromise is beside the point, why must a 1 unit course exactly run as well as an Extension course, specifically, both the prelim allowed extension 1 courses?
What I said was if you were to run the subjects during standard hours, you must either have an ext1 course + 1unit or 2 ext1 courses.

I'm comparing this scenario to how our school offered MX1 for 4/8 periods on a line then SOR1 for the other 4/8 for now. Cool. They fit in SOR. Not surprising because I went to a Catholic school but ok.

Where can you slap in EX1 now?
And as before, it seems your school is teaching too many hours per subject. I made a mistake before, it should be 120 hours per 2 units, or 3 hours per week per subject. So at the minimum, you only need to be taught 3.6 hours per day in total. Any more is in surplus, so therefore, going by your scenario, your school is teaching too many hours per course per week. If they ran 3 periods per 2 unit course per week, or 3 periods per 1 unit course per fortnight, that would definitely create more space for other courses.

You can't possibly just put EX1 to collide with MX1 OR SOR1. The alternative was that MX1 got sliced into the after school time slots and EX1 had the better outcome. They judged that by only popularity, and a certain trend that had followed for a while.
As directly above, seems like there are structural issues in how many classes per week are run. That needs to be addressed before you can determine where to fit in other extension courses.

I get what I'm saying is in an ideal situation, but I still maintain your school could have organised the courses better to provide more options for students.

leehuan

HSC
Not arguing, just raising a few points :)

I meant my school offered 20+ subjects and had no issues with running ext 1 courses during standard hours. Yes, fewer subjects would inherently result in fewer clashes.

What I said was if you were to run the subjects during standard hours, you must either have an ext1 course + 1unit or 2 ext1 courses.

And as before, it seems your school is teaching too many hours per subject. I made a mistake before, it should be 120 hours per 2 units, or 3 hours per week per subject. So at the minimum, you only need to be taught 3.6 hours per day in total. Any more is in surplus, so therefore, going by your scenario, your school is teaching too many hours per course per week. If they ran 3 periods per 2 unit course per week, or 3 periods per 1 unit course per fortnight, that would definitely create more space for other courses.

As directly above, seems like there are structural issues in how many classes per week are run. That needs to be addressed before you can determine where to fit in other extension courses.

I get what I'm saying is in an ideal situation, but I still maintain your school could have organised the courses better to provide more options for students.
Okay, sorry for the parts that I legitimately misunderstood :)

It really varies from school to school I suppose. Many schools have very poor faculties/facilities available for the students and many compromises have to be made. I also knew that every unit had indicative hours but I never cared to tally up how much.

It's also slightly more awkward here because we're a 6-period school here, not 5.

Though, I'll reserve my points. Should bring mcchicken here to see her perspective :p

Also, whilst we're here, you're the one I send raw marks to for the databse right?

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC

Yes my school is shit lol (no sarcasm here haha it isn't very good)

Okay, sorry for the parts that I legitimately misunderstood :)

It really varies from school to school I suppose. Many schools have very poor faculties/facilities available for the students and many compromises have to be made. I also knew that every unit had indicative hours but I never cared to tally up how much.

It's also slightly more awkward here because we're a 6-period school here, not 5.

Though, I'll reserve my points. Should bring mcchicken here to see her perspective :p

Also, whilst we're here, you're the one I send raw marks to for the databse right?
My perspective on what? Haha
If I understand correctly, D94 is saying most schools should run their extensions during school by adding more classes to each line? The problem with that is that school's don't have unlimited teachers and classrooms to offer every subject. As I mentioned before, I couldn't even get both histories (we had to pick one) and we couldn't get senior geo to run either.

D94

HSC
N/A
Not more by adding, rather more by reducing the number of existing classes, thereby making room for more classes. The net number of classrooms and teachers don't increase.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Not more by adding, rather more by reducing the number of existing classes, thereby making room for more classes. The net number of classrooms and teachers don't increase.
Oooh okay I understand.

We had about 5 subs per lines and there were 6 lines so....
I don't think there was much to replace
We didn't offer chemistry either lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)