How To Get Your Dream ATAR (1 Viewer)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Sleep. Dear heavens, sleep!
I did an english exam after a night/morning of gaming and felt awful - ending up falling asleep half way through it and getting a crappy mark lol. Thankfully that was in year 11, not in year 12.

If you're in year 11, find your best study method. That is, work out where you study most effectively - I for one worked out that the table in the meeting room at my house worked better for me then my table in my bedroom. Work out whether you prefer typed or written notes and work out some filing/organising system for said notes. Try different combinations of making notes/doing past papers/question and see what works best for you, for each subject.

Try and work consistently, even if it is in short bursts. It'll make your life a lot easier! And bursts of about 45mins is a good guide if you can't study for that long; you'll actually remember more if you do short study blocks with little breaks in between ^^

If you're a crammer and cannot/refuse to change your ways, at least try to make notes. You may be able to cram in last minute practise questions but you WILL not be able to quickly write notes - i learnt that the hard way when i started writing notes a few days before the trials LOL. I strongly suggest making a small study group (about 3 people is a good number; too big and it'll fail) and you guys can split up the syllabus and trade notes every few weeks. It'll be much quicker :)

Oh and if you're a tad unorginised like me, just make mental lists in your head for the next two weeks or so. I tried the hole make a calendar nonsense and it really did not work - thinking that far ahead and making plans always failed because i'd either forget or the plans would get changed. Make sure that you do the things on the lists! Making friends with people who ARE organised and can tell you what is due etc will also help.

By the way, unless you LOVE studying/are going for 99.50+ you won't need to study every minute of the day. As i said before, just make lists that you have to complete for the day/week and if you finish early, take a break and do whatever you want to :)

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
And when you're on your deathbed you'll look back and think 'God damn I was such a fag!'

Also ew I didn't realise annabackwards went to unsw wtf.

ya_mum

'When there's a will, there's a way' - MOI
HSC
Sleep. Dear heavens, sleep!
I did an english exam after a night/morning of gaming and felt awful - ending up falling asleep half way through it and getting a crappy mark lol. Thankfully that was in year 11, not in year 12.

If you're in year 11, find your best study method. That is, work out where you study most effectively - I for one worked out that the table in the meeting room at my house worked better for me then my table in my bedroom. Work out whether you prefer typed or written notes and work out some filing/organising system for said notes. Try different combinations of making notes/doing past papers/question and see what works best for you, for each subject.

Try and work consistently, even if it is in short bursts. It'll make your life a lot easier! And bursts of about 45mins is a good guide if you can't study for that long; you'll actually remember more if you do short study blocks with little breaks in between ^^

If you're a crammer and cannot/refuse to change your ways, at least try to make notes. You may be able to cram in last minute practise questions but you WILL not be able to quickly write notes - i learnt that the hard way when i started writing notes a few days before the trials LOL. I strongly suggest making a small study group (about 3 people is a good number; too big and it'll fail) and you guys can split up the syllabus and trade notes every few weeks. It'll be much quicker

Oh and if you're a tad unorginised like me, just make mental lists in your head for the next two weeks or so. I tried the hole make a calendar nonsense and it really did not work - thinking that far ahead and making plans always failed because i'd either forget or the plans would get changed. Make sure that you do the things on the lists! Making friends with people who ARE organised and can tell you what is due etc will also help.

By the way, unless you LOVE studying/are going for 99.50+ you won't need to study every minute of the day. As i said before, just make lists that you have to complete for the day/week and if you finish early, take a break and do whatever you want to
epic advice anna

ya_mum

'When there's a will, there's a way' - MOI
HSC
By the way, unless you LOVE studying/are going for 99.50+ you won't need to study every minute of the day. As i said before, just make lists that you have to complete for the day/week and if you finish early, take a break and do whatever you want to
what about if someone were to, say, aim for, say, 99.95 ATAR? what would you do if you could do it again?

FrozenSky

HSC
To achieve your dream atar just party with your books every single day.
Don't worry about sleep, i did my english test with a can of V and no sleep :)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Also ew I didn't realise annabackwards went to unsw wtf.
You must be blind.

what about if someone were to, say, aim for, say, 99.95 ATAR? what would you do if you could do it again?
I'd do it all over again; i got everything i wanted with my ATAR. Managed to get into uni and my dream course, got an the one scholarship (and others) that i wanted and pleased my family without compromising much of my social life.

But, if i were to aim for 99.95 instead in order to get the Scientia scholarship i guess i would do a few things differently.

I'd make a weekly list of things i would have to get done and actually do it; would mentally break down the weekly list in my head and work out what i had to do each day. I would of course study much more consistently (rather than periodic cramming sessions) and would start revising a lot sooner before exams.

I'd still go out but would not do all nighters unless it was a major occasion and it couuldn't be helped so that i would be able to keep a consistent and healthy sleeping pattern. I guess i wouldn't go out as much in order to get what i needed done.

I'd also take my teachers up on their offers to mark and comment on any extra practise essays/exams that I do. I'd make notes and update it weekly, rather than making them after trials for HSC exam use only.

Other than that, i wouldn't know what i would change if i wanted a 99.95 ATAR. I guess the main thing is study consistently, make notes as you learn things and don't go out late too often :)

mecramarathon

HSC
have a good teacher

or "join" a class who has a good teacher

or get a motivating tutor

or form private study groups with your friends

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)