• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How to set out a speech (1 Viewer)

tjwhalan

HSC
1) Students are to discuss (in speech format) the following:
*What Ideas this text presents about the concept of belonging?
*Identify 2 techniques that the composer has used to present these ideas and explain how they have been used to present ideas about BELONGING.
*How has this text contributed to an overall understanding of the concept of belonging?

Im doing a 5 MINUTE speech on belonging and relating it to 'The Dead Poets Society' and I was wandering what the proper 'Speech format was'.

Should i include a definition of belonging in my intro or just shoot straight into the movie?
Do i reserve 1 paragraph for each of the criteria points or how much time should i spend on each?
Also do i repeat the questions in my speech or reword them to just fit in my answer?

also will i lose points if i dont say 'goodmorning classmates and teachers' (I always found that stupid)

So yeah any help would be sweet as! even just a link to a page that explains the format of speeches would be good.

kyokaku92

HSC
Definitely, define in your own words what belonging is before you shoot straight into the movie. Remember it is a speech, not an essay so try to ask rhetorical questions in your speech. You have to prove to the teacher you know your stuff and what you are saying. First paragraph should be your introduction. Since you hate the "good morning teacher and classmates" crap, try "good morning ladies and gentlemen and I thank you for attending today's forum on the Concept of Belonging etc.etc" create your own atmosphere and introduce yourself as a professor of literature or something.

The next couple of paragraphs should be on the text and how it relates to belonging. Don't read out the plot, the marker doesn't give a damn about it. Use quotes and language/film techniques, remembering you must answer the thesis statement you make about belonging. I reckon two thesis statements should be enough.

Finally conclude by repeating your thesis and summarise what you have said. Since it's 5 min it should only be around 750-800 words :pirate:

_trickster_

Currently High
HSC
bump

what if say hypthetically the speech needed to include your core text, an additional material and *drum roll* A PROP

so yeah ive done the definition, how do i intergrate the generalisation and start the main stuff?

h3ll h0und

HSC
i think saying good morning ladies/gentleman is a waste of time. just shoot straight into it. first rite a thesis including definition of belonging, causes, consequences and other aspects of it. then basically just concept example quote technique effect and repeat. however i may be rong because at our school we started off with module C, but if its similar to wat we did in yr 11 AOS then u shud be fine just doing that.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Remember to keep your audience entertained. For example, for my speech on Change, I recited a few Whose Line? Hoedowns to keep them entertained - of course, related to Change.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Try and have a memorable beginning, middle and ending. A speech is one of the few mediums where you can get away with starting with a quote. However, a strong thesis, or an appropriate adage can be fine.

Since you are doing DPS, you could deliver Robin Williams delivers his text in a similar way to how it is done in the film. Even incorporating the "Captain, My Captain" line near the end could make for an interesting conclusion. Just make sure its not being done by others though.

The middle section just needs to be similar to a strong essay format. Something like PEEL: Point, Explain, Example, Link; would work fine.

Be unique. Keep things expressive. Above all, speak with clarity and conviction.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
sikhman said:
Absolutezero said:
Try and have a memorable beginning, middle and ending.
Try and have a memorable beginning, middle and ending.
this is like saying 'try and have a good speech'
No, it refers to where you need your speech to reach a high point; think of it as a wave so to speak.

You want a strong intro. Then you give out your information which will tend to bring things downward, so you counter it with a strong middle. The same is true until the end. If you can get a series of waves, you will have a good speech. A speech that is completely high intensity can be just as bad as one completely low intensity. It's about the balance, and getting your waves right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)