How to study for a 90 ATAR in the 2014 HSC? (1 Viewer)

Capo

HSC
I'll be year 11 next year and I feel like I should step up my game for year 12. Can anyone give me some advice on studying? I'm aiming for a 90+ ATAR.

Thanks in advance.

Flauntastic

HSC
I'm willing to bet you'll get 90+ simply because you are posting on here now and are actually concerned about your future outcome.

Capo

HSC
I'm willing to bet you'll get 90+ simply because you are posting on here now and are actually concerned about your future outcome.
Yeah well I was told yr 11 would be alot different from year 10 and my school didn't tell us jack about how to actually prepare for preliminaries in advance

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
To put simply, in Year 11, put about 50% of your time in Maths because the skills carry on to Year 12 (significantly) - it mostly involves practice.

It depends on your subjects as well. Say, for Chemistry, you need to carry on the knowledge of calculations and some other things.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
I'll be year 11 next year and I feel like I should step up my game for year 12. Can anyone give me some advice on studying? I'm aiming for a 90+ ATAR.

Thanks in advance.
If you know your English texts for next year (possibly? but judging by what you've just said...), reading them over the holidays is viable.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
If you know your English texts for next year (possibly? but judging by what you've just said...), reading them over the holidays is viable.
No. Doing that is absolutely pointless, it's English... there's no point in getting ahead in texts for year 11. Try learning the important maths concepts of year 11, which will carry on into year 12 (e.g. calculus, trig).

Peeik

HSC
Determination and consistency are key elements of getting >90. When you learn something new but dont understand it, you need to be determined to find ways to ensure you get the concept (whether it'll be asking friends, teacher or looking it up on the net). By adopting this attitude consistently for the next two years, theres a good chance to >90 or even >95.

Rawf

HSC
No. Doing that is absolutely pointless, it's English... there's no point in getting ahead in texts for year 11. Try learning the important maths concepts of year 11, which will carry on into year 12 (e.g. calculus, trig).
+1 English is useless. Don't focus on that next year. Just know how to structure an essay and that's all you need to know.

Also, make sure you have a good subject selection. Doing subjects like standard english, general maths and community and family studies might not get you too far.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
+1 English is useless. Don't focus on that next year. Just know how to structure an essay and that's all you need to know.

Also, make sure you have a good subject selection. Doing subjects like standard english, general maths and community and family studies might not get you too far.
That's a load of rubbish. You can still achieve top marks with shit scaling subjects, you just have to ace them. I am doing all of those subjects you listed (with great regret) but i'm still on track for 90 +, but their is obviously less room for error.

A few years ago at my school, a girl did really average subjects (general maths, standard english, cafs, hospitality, sor1, music 1) but smashed them and achieved a 98 atar. Its possible, but you will have to basically get a band 6 for nearly all your subjects to have a chance.

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
As previously said, focus on understanding all of your maths content.

nifkeh

HSC
maths is important, and one you can actually accelerate in earlier

whereas english you can't really. the only thing that counts in english 'learning' is how to structure an essay to get the top band. if you are doing orals in year 11, it's best to pay attention to the feedback and delivery from because if you repeat the same mistake in year 12 orals you are going to get the same crappy mark lol. but at least it's only 1 assessment so it shouldn't wipe you out too much

and for sciences - best to pay attention, some concepts are talked in more depth in year 12 so you shouldn't just treat year 11 as a bludge year because it counts, you learn how to improve and study and also what to drop and what subjects to work on etc

if you are doing humanities it doesn't really count in terms of added knowledge but you will know how to answer questions better and how to structure an essay. hopefully you learn how to study well too lol

Capo

HSC
Thanks everyone! =)

I heard Economics is pretty hard haha.. Business reports sounds pretty hard to write.

How long did you guys study each day when you guys were in year 11/12? And where ?

deswa1

HSC
Year 11- probs between 30 mins to 1 hour a night (however long it took to do homework- I didn't revise stuff or anything during term). A few days before exams, maybe 3 hours a day.
Year 12- probs around 3 hours a night. During exam blocks, around 7 a night. A few weeks before trials, around 6 hours a day. Before HSC I did less because I became more lazy haha.

It helps if you like your subjects- I enjoyed all my subs except for english (and even some of that was alright) so that made it heaps easier- like smashing out a past paper in 4U was fun because I could pump the music and do some interesting questions etc.

And I studied at home

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
90+?

Some people would only study before exams for that.

It depends who you are.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
90+ is really dependent on you capabilities; for some, it may be just paying attention in the year, some it may mean "cramming" around exams, some cramming for assessments/exams and some it requires a solid amount of effort to achieve. Just don't buy in too much into the hype people build snr school up to be.

Umm in Yr 11 I was pretty lazy with my study habits still a step up from Yr 10 though, but I picked them up way more in Yr 12. My study habits fluctuated a fair bit (stacks at some times, moderate sometimes, and also none when I was overseas).

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
That's a load of rubbish. You can still achieve top marks with shit scaling subjects, you just have to ace them. I am doing all of those subjects you listed (with great regret) but i'm still on track for 90 +, but their is obviously less room for error.

A few years ago at my school, a girl did really average subjects (general maths, standard english, cafs, hospitality, sor1, music 1) but smashed them and achieved a 98 atar. Its possible, but you will have to basically get a band 6 for nearly all your subjects to have a chance.
Those are exceptions mate. That being said, subjects like them are NOT advisable if you're aiming for a 90+ atar. But yes, working extremely hard can achieve such an atar.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)