How was your first day of Preliminary? (1 Viewer)

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
My first day was incredibly dicktarded. All the peole in my class I hardly know. Meeting some new students was nice, I have befriended a student who's friend's dad owns Singtel which owns Optus so I am already set for life. It's all about connections. >_>

Kujah

HSC
N/A
mudcake42 said:
Just a question, had extension maths, did you find that it was very much 'understand now learn later'? We flew past lots of stuff and she was really really fast and then set a tone of homework ... maybe because I'm in the top class or something ...

am I the only one finding this?
Haha, our teacher started it slow today, so we could understand everything after that long holiday bludge. Started polynomials, did some examples and got a chapter to do for HW.

nandayo said:
Anybody get the new worksheets for the COMPULSORY, that's right COMPULSORY for all Yr11 students this year Board of Studies "All My Own Work" course? It is such bullshit, they could've just said 'Don't plagiarise kids' - but instead we get plagiarism find-a-words and multiple choices about referencing. Apparently your school will need to sign a sheet saying you've fufilled the requirements of it etc. etc. Better not last for long, or heads-will-roll.
Hehe, did that course last year afetr the SC. Didn't even pay attention, but I still have the booklet :)

simonloo said:
My first day was incredibly dicktarded. All the peole in my class I hardly know. Meeting some new students was nice, I have befriended a student who's friend's dad owns Singtel which owns Optus so I am already set for life. It's all about connections. >_>
Lucky, someone already has free telephone calls in life :)

Armenikum

HSC
I had one free period every week, and then even that was stolen by Extension English classes. So consider yourselves lucky!

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Armenikum said:
I had one free period every week, and then even that was stolen by Extension English classes. So consider yourselves lucky!
My English teacher sounds like she's on helium. Is that lucky?

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
simonloo said:
My English teacher sounds like she's on helium. Is that lucky?
What kind of a question is that? OF COURSE IT IS LUCKY. You can prick her with a pin and see what happens!

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Jachie said:
I can't believe some people don't have any free periods. :shocked: That's certainly not right. I'm really greatful for mine, though it's kind of annoying that mine are 4th today and 1st tomorrow, so I have nothing productive to do in them.
No frees in year 11, 20 frees in year 12 per fortnight. Can't complain.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
No frees in year 11, 20 frees in year 12 per fortnight. Can't complain.
Whoaa.

How many units are you doing? 10?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah, haha. How long is one free equivalent to?

SoulSearcher

HSC
Kujah said:
Yeah, haha. How long is one free equivalent to?
45 minutes, so that equates into 15 hours a fortnight.
Jachie said:
20 frees is amazing. And I thought I had lots. ;)
It's an advantage of accelerating a subject; without removing that subject, I would've only had 10 frees a fortnight.

Last edited:

wynnedoze

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
It's an advantage of accelerating a subject; without removing that subject, I would've only had 10 frees a fortnight.
No-one at our school got offered accellerated, and I know of one girl that did ask. I thought it would have been a good idea to do an accellerated course, get some of it out of the way:)

Heliotrope

HSC
I don't think schools typically offer for you to be accelerated in a subject. Probably because they don't want the hassle of organising everything and then having to keep track of you. It's really something you have to push for. If you can do well in an accelerated subject, it'll be an awesome advantage to have in Year 12. This should be made obvious to everyone, but acceleration isn't something that my school promotes or advertises at all. Funny, that.

If I had any foresight I'd definitely be doing the HSC for one of my subjects this year.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Heliotrope said:
I don't think schools typically offer for you to be accelerated in a subject. Probably because they don't want the hassle of organising everything and then having to keep track of you. It's really something you have to push for. If you can do well in an accelerated subject, it'll be an awesome advantage to have in Year 12. This should be made obvious to everyone, but acceleration isn't something that my school promotes or advertises at all. Funny, that.

If I had any foresight I'd definitely be doing the HSC for one of my subjects this year.
Yeah, I'd probably accelerate as well. It's a shame some schools don't offer it. I would have loved to accelerate in Maths, or Modern History :(

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
I accelereated Modern History. I'm glad I did. But for those who took it up last year, then dropped it, that was such a waste. They could've been bludging

SoulSearcher

HSC
My school's had a program for accelerated maths students ever since one student asked to be accelerated a while back, so you should take the initiative if you don't know of an acceleration program running at your school. You never know, it might just happen ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)