HSC 2014 MX2 Marathon (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

glittergal96

HSC
Re: HSC 2014 4U Marathon

We have

so at least one term on the LHS must be non-positive. As each of these polynomials is concave up, at least one must be concave up with vertex on below the x-axis. This polynomial must then have at least one real root.

glittergal96

HSC

We have

so at least one term on the LHS must be non-positive. As each of these polynomials is concave up, at least one must be concave up with vertex on below the x-axis. This polynomial must then have at least one real root.
Here is a perhaps cleaner way of presenting this same argument:

Suppose each of these polynomials has no real roots. As they are concave up, this means that they are positive definite.

Then the sum of the three polynomials must also be positive definite.

But the sum of the three quadratics by direct calculation is , which is NOT positive definite. Contradiction.

Tugga

HSC

Could you also do this:

Assume all of the eqns have non-real complex roots. Then by conjugate root theorem and summing product of roots you get a sum of real squares = 0.

Therefore, all the roots must be zero, a contradiction of the assumption.

Axio

=o
HSC

Could you also do this:

Assume all of the eqns have non-real complex roots. Then by conjugate root theorem and summing product of roots you get a sum of real squares = 0.

Therefore, all the roots must be zero, a contradiction of the assumption.
Do all the roots have to be zero just because the sum of their products is zero?

Tugga

HSC

Do all the roots have to be zero just because the sum of their products is zero?

Axio

=o
HSC
HSC 2015 4U Marathon

New Question (Cambridge):

If |z| = r and arg z = theta, show that z/[(z^2)+(r^2)] is real and give its value.

Chlee1998

HSC

You change r to mod z. Then factor z out of denominator which cancels with the top. Then u get 1/ 2rcos theta

EDIT: did u type the question wrongly or did Realisenothing read it wrong?

Last edited:

Chlee1998

HSC
Re: HSC 2015 4U Marathon

The inverse of a nonzero real number is real.
Yes, but what's the point of doing it Realise's way? like in the end he still has to find the real value. I don't think there's anything wrong with my solution? (in the post after the question)

glittergal96

HSC

No-one said there was anything wrong with your solution, he just wrote up what is logically the same thing in a different notation. (With the typo of having the reciprocal of what we actually want, and he didn't finish up by writing .)

I just meant that its pretty obvious what he meant, so picking on the typo seemed a bit petty.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

No-one said there was anything wrong with your solution, he just wrote up what is logically the same thing in a different notation. (With the typo of having the reciprocal of what we actually want, and he didn't finish up by writing .)

I just meant that its pretty obvious what he meant, so picking on the typo seemed a bit petty.
Wasn't a typo, I just flipped it since like you said the inverse of a real number is still real, and I thought it was easier to manipulate when it was flipped compared to the original question.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

Wasn't a typo, I just flipped it since like you said the inverse of a real number is still real, and I thought it was easier to manipulate when it was flipped compared to the original question.
Though looking back on it, there really isn't much difference in flipping it or not lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)