• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2015 MX1 Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Re: HSC 2015 3U Marathon

Integrand is a computer himself

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

The first helpful thing to notice, is that the range of the cosine inverse function is between and . This means we can't do the old method of cancelling out the inverse cosine and the cosine because this would give us which since is acute would not be valid since it is outside the range.

However, we can still try to apply this by manipulating the expression. First, to give a proper definition of the trick, remember that:

This is true precisely because of the definition of an inverse function, and precisely because that domain is the domain of the original function that we wish to 'invert'.

So proceeding from this, we want to manipulate the given expression into one in which we can use .

Remember that, and , which means
(To see this fact more clearly, imagine drawing horizontal lines in a y = cos x graph below the x-axis, and see that when the line intersects one part of the cosine graph, it intersects the opposite side, symmetrical to )

So that,

After having a more deeper thought about this question last night. I decided to draw it out on the quadrant circle

Now I know a function like cos^(-1) (Cos x) exists for all real x. But in this question we should be looking at the domain as Sy123 said between 0 and Pi.

My thinking regards to this question is based on the trig identity we can derive '- cos a ' from the expansion (sorry I dont know how to write alpha on here just yet). From this, Pi subtract alpha can be derived from the unit circle graph at the solution must be between that range of 0 to Pi, which in this case is Pi-alpha.

Last edited:

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

Differentiate y = x^1/2 using first principles

I've done questions similar to these and I find that the only way to approach it is by rationalising the numerator (Once I've inserted everything into the first principles formula)

Can somebody confirm if there are any other ways to do these types of questions?

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

I am having trouble drawing this diagram for circle geometry.

"AB is a chord of a circle with centre O. The bisector of angle OAB meets the circle at D. Prove that OD||AB

I had a go at it.

rand_althor

HSC

I am having trouble drawing this diagram for circle geometry.

"AB is a chord of a circle with centre O. The bisector of angle OAB meets the circle at D. Prove that OD||AB
Your diagram is correct, but why is angle DBA 90 degrees?

leehuan

HSC

Capture.PNG

Triangle OAD is isosceles with OA = OD (equal radii) so OAD = ODA (base angles)
But OAD = BAD from our question
So BAD = ODA

Hence OD||AB (alternate angles equal)

Last edited:

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A

Differentiate y = x^1/2 using first principles

I've done questions similar to these and I find that the only way to approach it is by rationalising the numerator (Once I've inserted everything into the first principles formula)

Can somebody confirm if there are any other ways to do these types of questions?
Bump

leehuan

HSC

Not that I know of for d/dx sqrt(x) by first principles.

Chris_S

HSC

Hey everyone I am just wandering how common are inverse functions in the paper? Like how many questions involving them will be in it?

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

C is any point on a circle with a diameter AB. P and Q are points on the minor arcs AC and BC. Prove that angle APC + angle CQB= 3 right angles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)