HSC 2017 Predictions/Preparation Thread [Biology] (1 Viewer)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Post predictions for the biology exam or discuss thoughts relating to the upcoming exam.

I reckon we'll get the 8 marker which AGAIN combines 2 modules together e.g last time it was maintaining a balance and blueprint of life. I think it could be on scientists or technologies (e.g. reproductive)

HSC
QX. Both plants and animals have unique structures which facilitate the transport of materials, for example, glucose and water:
a) Identify 1 type of blood vessel and describe its structure (2)
b) Describe the process of water transportation in plants and identify the structure involved (4)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
QX. Both plants and animals have unique structures which facilitate the transport of materials, for example, glucose and water:
b) Describe the process of water transportation in plants and identify the structure involved (4)
a) Arteries consist of 3 layers including thick muscle, connective tissue, and elastic fibres. Then I'd probably include a labelled diagram.

I'll let someone else answer b) but in short it's the transpiration theory through the evaporation-tension-cohesion mechanism, involving xylem.

Hopefully we get these :D

By the way feel free to post questions here to assist everyone with preparation.

Last edited:

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
I think it has already been asked or maybe I did it in some trial paper. This questions looks very familiar.

Mathew587

HSC
I think it has already been asked or maybe I did it in some trial paper. This questions looks very familiar.
yeah thats already been an hsc q like twice lmao free marks if it shows up

HSC
QX. Describe the timeline of human understanding in the cause and prevention of malaria. In your answer include at least 2 scientific figures who have contributed to this understanding.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
what q was that btw? i'm kinda bad at beadle/tatum thats why :)
It was something where you had to analyse the work of Beadle and Tatum, their conclusions, and how their work related to genes and phenotypic expression as well as the use of a transgenic species as an example while applying Beadle and Tatum's work with phenotypes/genes to the example.

LADislav

HSC
b) In plants, water is passively transported from the roots to the leaves via the XYLEM by an evaporation-cohesion-adhesion mechanism (transpiration stream theory):
- EVAPORATION of water from the leaf cells through the stomates initiates the pull of a ‘transpiration stream’. Water is then drawn up the xylem vessels to replace this loss.
- The water molecules tend to bind together due to the COHESIVE properties of hydrogen and oxygen, thus forming a continuous column in the xylem. The water molecules also stick to the walls of the xylem vessel due to the ADHESIVE properties of hydrogen and oxygen. This combination of adhesive and cohesive forces, together with the suction pull of the transpiration, creates the transpiration stream which transports water upwards from the roots to the leaves.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
b) In plants, water is passively transported from the roots to the leaves via the XYLEM by an evaporation-cohesion-adhesion mechanism (transpiration stream theory):
- EVAPORATION of water from the leaf cells through the stomates initiates the pull of a ‘transpiration stream’. Water is then drawn up the xylem vessels to replace this loss.
- The water molecules tend to bind together due to the COHESIVE properties of hydrogen and oxygen, thus forming a continuous column in the xylem. The water molecules also stick to the walls of the xylem vessel due to the ADHESIVE properties of hydrogen and oxygen. This combination of adhesive and cohesive forces, together with the suction pull of the transpiration, creates the transpiration stream which transports water upwards from the roots to the leaves.
Nice answer but I'd recommend including tension in the xylem column from evaporation

Snowflek

HSC
Do you guys think they will ask much about the brain in the communication topic?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)