HSC and Family Pressure/Expectations (1 Viewer)

Do u have family expectations to live up to

• Yes (from who in family in particular)

Votes: 115 57.5%
  • No (god i hate u lol jkz lucky people)

Votes: 85 42.5%

• Total voters

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Re: Pressure From Parents

my parents don't really pressure me.
It's pretty much all up to me to keep myself on track and focussed.

The way it should be i rekon.

bassistx

HSC

misbahf said:
My friend was telling me that one guy that went to her tutoring college got a UAI of like 99.95 or something like that and his parents forced him to do medicine.

At his graduation after finishing the SEVEN year degree he handed his parents his degree and was like:

"Heres your medicine degree, I'm going to do engineering"
Fuck me dead.

The incentives over here are "a good paying job" lol!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Parents should not pressure but encourage their children to take the right direction - the way in which they would like to pursue their careers. My parents try to pressure me in many ways but there is just no way I would fall for that. My parents are typical Asian in that sense - they would wish that I either do medicine degree, law degree or actuary degree (purely based on salary and job status).

However, I pretty much like to become counsellor or teacher who can help students overcoming their academic barriers and reaching their true potential. There is no better feeling than seeing those kids achieving the highest standards despite the fact they were disadvantaged in some ways (English problem, family problem, financial problem and etc.)

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC

I'd say I have pressure from my dad (especially in regards to maths) but encouragement from my mum.

But of course if I do well its not because of them, its because I want to and deep down a parent can push their child as much as they like but if the childs heart isnt in it then they wont perform.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

lyounamu said:
Parents should not pressure but encourage their children to take the right direction - the way in which they would like to pursue their careers. My parents try to pressure me in many ways but there is just no way I would fall for that. My parents are typical Asian in that sense - they would wish that I either do medicine degree, law degree or actuary degree (purely based on salary and job status).

However, I pretty much like to become counsellor or teacher who can help students overcoming their academic barriers and reaching their true potential. There is no better feeling than seeing those kids achieving the highest standards despite the fact they were disadvantaged in some ways (English problem, family problem, financial problem and etc.)
Thats really nice, that your soley focused on helping others.
Do your folks will care if you don't do one of those crazy fields.

mind you medicine is pretty much the epitome of helping people.

bassistx

HSC

risole91 said:
Thats really nice, that your soley focused on helping others.
Do your folks will care if you don't do one of those crazy fields.

mind you medicine is pretty much the epitome of helping people.
Babe, the mind and soul needs help just as much as the body.

kthxbambi

HSC

haha i dont live with my parents =) but the three mates i do live with did their HSC last year, so they keep me at it.
it's useful living with them though, like having a whole book of past examples whenever you need it

BackCountrySnow

HSC

kthxbambi said:
haha i dont live with my parents =) but the three mates i do live with did their HSC last year, so they keep me at it.
it's useful living with them though, like having a whole book of past examples whenever you need it
cool, that sounds mad. Don't know when i'll move out though, I have a lot of freedom at home anyway.

lyounamu said:
My parents are typical Asian in that sense - they would wish that I either do medicine degree, law degree or actuary degree (purely based on salary and job status).
Yeah, it's kinda lame how most asian parents all want their kids to do those degrees. Sure there's a lot of potential in those fields but if you don't enjoy it you will never have the drive to do well anyway.

A lot better off letting the kid do what he/she enjoys. That's what my parents are doing and that's the way I will raise my kids.

back on topic!

a lot of my friends say they feel as though their parents compare them with their siblings. Especially the ones who have siblings that did outrageously well for the hsc.

I don't have any older siblings but if i did i dont think i'd feel as though i would have to one up them...

xJennax

HSC

My parents want me to do well, but we don't really discuss assessments and exams and stuff so they don't pressure me to do it.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

BackCountrySnow said:
Yeah, it's kinda lame how most asian parents all want their kids to do those degrees. Sure there's a lot of potential in those fields but if you don't enjoy it you will never have the drive to do well anyway
It's not just common among Asian parents. I think they apply to whole range of parents.

Aplus

HSC
N/A

kthxbambi said:
You ran away or something?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

theshortykatt said:
im completly aussie and i have the pressure to do well from my parents!!
i also have an older sibling who got 95..... no pressure

i guess the most pressure is from myself

social life?? what is that?? lol, school dictates my life..

ive started with the bribes to study. hehehe

and i want to do medicine (haha i know im crazy.)
Ouch, shoud've done standard english, would've raised your chances ridiculously.

good luck though, nothings impossible :D

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

tommykins said:
Ouch, shoud've done standard english, would've raised your chances ridiculously.

good luck though, nothings impossible :D
do you mean advanced?

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

bassistx said:
Babe, the mind and soul needs help just as much as the body.
this is true.

but i mean if your retarted and depressed, your still not 6 foot below ground

guruj790

HSC

MICHAEL1990:
"" my parents are well off. Both held and still do Senior Executive Positions and owned companies.

BUT WOULD NEVER BUY ME SOMETHING LIKE THAT!!!

as my mum always says, it has to be EARNED not given Michael otherwise you wont know the real importance. ""

mummy's boy that's what you are. just take the money for yourself u bad arse

michael1990

HSC

guruj790 said:
mummy's boy that's what you are. just take the money for yourself u bad arse
HA HA HA

i am a Mummy's boy i can't lie. But i really can't be a Daddy's boy, i never see him lol

So have to be a Mummy's boy.

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC

parents that give their children heaps of pressure need to be told to GET FUCKED

we're human beings, not slaves of theirs

the end
and yes I am an asian with stereotypical fucked up asian parents who are like "YOU DO THIS YOU DO THAT OR ELSE I PUT YOUR HAND ON FRYING PAN!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAH"

G-Dawg

HSC

cbadvanced said:
parents that give their children heaps of pressure need to be told to GET FUCKED

we're human beings, not slaves of theirs

the end
and yes I am an asian with stereotypical fucked up asian parents who are like "YOU DO THIS YOU DO THAT OR ELSE I PUT YOUR HAND ON FRYING PAN!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAH"

woooo
someone has to take a chill pill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)