HSC Biology Marathon 2015 (1 Viewer)

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Lipids are transported in the mammaliam blood as chylomicrons (which are clusters of phospholipids, triglycerides, and cholesterol), which are wrapped in a coat of protein, released in the lymph, and end up passing into the veins.
Pretty good detail there :) i didnt know that they "end up passing into the veins"

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Describe in steps, using a specific example, on how homeostasis occurs in the body. (4 marks)

Last edited:

Chris_S

HSC
Homeostasis is the process by which organisms maintain a relatively stable internal environment. It consists of two stages including detecting changes from the stable state and counteracting changes from the stable state. For example, if the ambient temperature is increased (stimulus), thermoreceptors in the skin (receptors), detect the stimulus and send the message to the hypothalamus (the control centre), here the message is interpreted and sent to the effectors to initiate a response to counteract the stimulus e.g. sweat gland increase sweat production which cools down the body due to the loss of heat by evaporation. Therefore, the response is initiated and the stimulus detected and counteracted.

Did this off the top of my head in like 1 minute so don't judge lol

Last edited:

Chris_S

HSC
I don't think anyone answered this question so I will have a go!
Coagulation, Sedimentation, Filtration and Disinfection are methods used to treat water to make it suitable for drinking.
Select ONE of the four processes and explain how this process reduces the risk of infection from pathogens. (3 marks)

Filtration is the removal of nearly all remaining microbes and any fine mud by passing the water through sand beds or charcoal. It makes the process of disinfection more effective as less chemical is required to remove any remaining pathogens. By reducing the number of pathogens present there is therefore a reduced risk of pathogens causing an infection in those who consume the water.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Homeostasis is the process by which organisms maintain a relatively stable internal environment. It consists of two stages including detecting changes from the stable state and counteracting changes from the stable state. For example, if the ambient temperature is increased i.e. the stimulus, thermoreceptors in the skin i.e. receptors, detect the stimulus and send the message to the hypothalamus i.e. the control centre, here the message is interpreted and sent to the effectors to initiate a response to counteract the stimulus e.g. sweat gland increase sweat production which cools down the body due to the loss of heat by evaporation. Therefore, the response is initiated and the stimulus detected and counteracted.

Did this off the top of my head in like 1 minute so don't judge lol
I'm judging heaps

nah

not bad but the last sentence kinda sounds messy and in the incorrect order

Chris_S

HSC
Yeah really I don't know first time actually doing them! And you judged me! lol

Chris_S

HSC
Nah I am just joking and thanx I appreciate it! What about the example in the answer? Is it good enough?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Nah I am just joking and thanx I appreciate it! What about the example in the answer? Is it good enough?
I was expecting more of a "specific" answer for example how the body detects and counteracts changes when there is an increase in CO2 in the blood which is actually a good example.

Mr_Kap

HSC
Explain how ONE advance in technology has provided support for the theory of evolution

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I was expecting more of a "specific" answer for example how the body detects and counteracts changes when there is an increase in CO2 in the blood which is actually a good example.
His example was still specific

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)