HSC Biology Marathon 2015 (1 Viewer)

Mr_Kap

HSC
Can someone explain what protein synthesis is for me please in a simple way. I'll be forever greatful as we never did it in class.

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC
U serious? lol. You reckon I should learn protein synthesis? Or should i take the risk and leave it out?
One of the most important things!!! I see it all the time in past questions. It's actually pretty interesting.

And yes they require a "simple model" to show protein synthesis lol (jelly beans, lollies, marshmallows). But get down what actually happens via youtube animation first.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
One of the most important things!!! I see it all the time in past questions. It's actually pretty interesting.

And yes they require a "simple model" to show protein synthesis lol (jelly beans, lollies, marshmallows). But get down what actually happens via youtube animation first.
Do you mind mentioning what year/question number you saw a question asking about protein synthesis?

Flop21

HSC
Do you mind mentioning what year/question number you saw a question asking about protein synthesis?
Um... I can't actually find any at the moment lol. Maybe I exaggerated by saying "see it all the time". I know for sure there was one question on it in my trials. And I remember one question when doing practice HSC questions. Sorry, if I see it again I'll post it here.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Um... I can't actually find any at the moment lol. Maybe I exaggerated by saying "see it all the time". I know for sure there was one question on it in my trials. And I remember one question when doing practice HSC questions. Sorry, if I see it again I'll post it here.
Do you remember what the question in your trials was asking?

Chris_S

HSC
To be honest I have done a fair few neap, independent papers and have not seen one single protein synthesis question. However, I still wouldn't risk it as it will be our luck it will be in the paper!

Flop21

HSC
Do you remember what the question in your trials was asking?
"Describe the difference between protein synthesis and DNA replication."

and

"Describe a model of protein synthesis showing the correct processes, and outline one limitation of the model".

Those were the 2 in my trials. Please note I cannot find my actual test, and going off the marking criteria to create the questions above ^.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

and

"Describe a model of protein synthesis showing the correct processes, and outline one limitation of the model".

Those were the 2 in my trials. Please note I cannot find my actual test, and going off the marking criteria to create the questions above ^.
Did you know how to answer them? lol.

el_manu

HSC

and

Those were the 2 in my trials.Please note I cannot find my actual test, and going off the marking criteria to create the questions above ^.

Flop21

HSC
Pic doesn't work, I would love to know the answer to those two questions though.
- Correctly describes a model of protein synthesis including transcription and translation and one limitation of the model (4 marks)

Sample Answer:

Using pipe cleaners students simulate the process to describe a process we cannot see. [I'm actually not sure this is a good sample answer lol]

One limitation of this model is that it does not include the enzymes involved or relative size of the molecules.

So pretty much just describe the process using symbols representing the different cells and stuff. And the limitations would be what was described above^

- Describes one difference between the protein synthesis and DNA replication (2 marks)

Protein synthesis:

1. process involves nucleus, ribosome, cytoplasm
2. process active throughout much of cell cycle
3. end product is a polypeptide chain
4. involves RNA

DNA replication:
1. process takes place within nucleus
2. process active in very small segment of cell cycle-prior to cell division
3. end product is a replica of the DNA of the cell
4. does not involve RNA

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
- Correctly describes a model of protein synthesis including transcription and translation and one limitation of the model (4 marks)

Sample Answer:

Using pipe cleaners students simulate the process to describe a process we cannot see. [I'm actually not sure this is a good sample answer lol]

One limitation of this model is that it does not include the enzymes involved or relative size of the molecules.

So pretty much just describe the process using symbols representing the different cells and stuff. And the limitations would be what was described above^

- Describes one difference between the protein synthesis and DNA replication (2 marks)

Protein synthesis:

1. process involves nucleus, ribosome, cytoplasm
2. process active throughout much of cell cycle
3. end product is a polypeptide chain
4. involves RNA

DNA replication:
1. process takes place within nucleus
2. process active in very small segment of cell cycle-prior to cell division
3. end product is a replica of the DNA of the cell
4. does not involve RNA
So protein synthesis is basically DNA translation?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
What's a simple definition for protein synthesis?

Flop21

HSC
What's a simple definition for protein synthesis?
Protein synthesis is another word for polypeptide synthesis. It's the process where a chain of amino acids is formed (polypeptide chain).

DNA replication is just DNA replication, its results in 2 identical DNA strands.

In the syllabus is actually says polypeptide synthesis is "the process by which DNA controls the production of polypeptides".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)