HSC English and Originality (1 Viewer)

So-joo

HSC
(It might be too late to be asking this now) But how do you present 'originality' in an English essay, whilst conforming to the syllabus? How do you know when your originality 'crosses a line', where your teachers will give you in the feedback sheet that your interpretation of the text is wrong?

The most I've ever gotten in an essay is a B+, because I've relied on textbooks and other people's papers to construct my essays, and I've always had the 'mainstream interpretation' when I read the English texts by myself.

nexus_lad_69

Sikkest Lad in Livo
HSC
Uni Grad
(It might be too late to be asking this now) But how do you present 'originality' in an English essay, whilst conforming to the syllabus? How do you know when your originality 'crosses a line', where your teachers will give you in the feedback sheet that your interpretation of the text is wrong?

The most I've ever gotten in an essay is a B+, because I've relied on textbooks and other people's papers to construct my essays, and I've always had the 'mainstream interpretation' when I read the English texts by myself.
Use flowery language and being Shakespeare.

Dat elegance and flair in your writing of essays.

Like, two students can use the same techniques + quotes and similar explanations yet one student gets a bit higher due to their appealing writing style and flair.

This isn't always true but it actually happens.

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
an interpretation of a text is never wrong unless you can't back it up with technical analysis and justifying how the technique conveys a certain view.The only times the marker will criticise your interpretation will be when you can't back up how you came up with that and if this interpretation is not consistent throughout the poem

Bobbo1

HSC
an interpretation of a text is never wrong unless you can't back it up with technical analysis and justifying how the technique conveys a certain view.The only times the marker will criticise your interpretation will be when you can't back up how you came up with that and if this interpretation is not consistent throughout the poem
+1, as long as you have the analysis and evidence there you can't go wrong. Tbh, HSC is more about HOW you write rather than WHAT you write about, as long as you are within the confines of the given question of course.

jenslekman

HSC
+1, as long as you have the analysis and evidence there you can't go wrong. Tbh, HSC is more about HOW you write rather than WHAT you write about, as long as you are within the confines of the given question of course.
you can't really say that - it's a really an equal balance between the two i guess.

such_such

HSC
We learnt originality for EX1, and from what I remember, nothing is 'original' and that all texts are borrowed in one way or another. Basically, they want the writer (you) to have some sort of an opinion. All textbooks and teachers provide you with information, and it's up to you to form your own interpretation on your texts. That's usually what distinguishes an A student from a B student.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)