HSC Exam Marking Process (1 Viewer)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
What happens if a teacher looses your exam?

Or what would happen if the whole facility caught on fire, and everyone's HSC exams were destroyed?
My friends english paper went missing in the HSC, and I think they got an estimate for that section.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What happens if a teacher looses your exam?

Or what would happen if the whole facility caught on fire, and everyone's HSC exams were destroyed?
Are you talking about at school or the HSC itself?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The HSC has very stringent processes in place but occasionally an odd paper gets 'lost'. It usually turns up during the ongoing sorting process but in that case an estimate based on the school's marks would be issued as a 'misadventure'.

The same if there was a fire and the entire lot of papers were burnt.

These days though with the papers being scanned very quickly after being written they would still have the papers online if the paper papers were burnt.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
History has been marked online for a couple of years now. Not only online but the markers are able to work at home. Did it that way personally myself and didn't like it. As I have been marking for over 20 years I also didn't apply this year as I knew I wouldn't be appointed and didn't like the process so am looking forward to my first full November at home since the early 1990s.

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
I believe marking online is a lot worse. I personally think so because it defeats the purpose of a written exam and the marking would just be different if you know what I mean

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It doesn't 'defeat the purpose of a written exam' for the simple reason that the students still write the same type of answers. All that is different is that the markers are looking at a screen rather than the student's booklets. The marking criteria and other processes are the same - certainly in my experience. You still have to read the student's handwritten responses.

known1998

HSC
N/A
Re: Explanation of HSC Marks (Moderating)

If I were to do another option topic, different to the one at our school, would that still be marked normally?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

If I were to do another option topic, different to the one at our school, would that still be marked normally?
Yes, they mark whatever option topic you answer the questions to.

trecex1

HSC

Yes, they mark whatever option topic you answer the questions to.
If you were to answer more than one option, do they mark both and take your highest one? I believe some schools teach more than one due to the relative difficulties on the day.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

If you were to answer more than one option, do they mark both and take your highest one? I believe some schools teach more than one due to the relative difficulties on the day.
They take the highest one.

eddydundee

HSC
Hi, my name is Edwin, I would like a rough estimate for my ATAR please

School rank: 167 (2009) and 164 (2010)

Subjects:

1. Standard English: mid 70s (35/154)

2. Business Studies: low 80s (14/76)

3. General Maths: mid 80s (14/125)

4. Senior Science: mid 80s (4/36)

5. Community & Family Studies: mid 70s (16/44)

6. Studies of Religion 1: mid 70s (41/91)

Thank you!

joycehang01

HSC
just reading through this, I was wondering when do the markers start marking out paper? like right after we finish the exam?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)