Hsc in one week! (1 Viewer)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
How's everyone's english studies going today? OR other studies?
enfkhsilgfsh iz demmented I cnt spk prprly anymoar

Lol but seriously It's so fkn boring.
Other subjects good. Haven't seen your essays on the chemistry forums lately, what happened? ;)

HSC
whole day of latin :D = both 2U and 3U
Have fun haha! I have another day of english to get through. 1 essay down, doing another one currently. Although my quotes are in my head, i am going to memorise tehniques and quotes properly, so that i don't blank out in the exam if it were to happen.
enfkhsilgfsh iz demmented I cnt spk prprly anymoar

Lol but seriously It's so fkn boring.
Other subjects good. Haven't seen your essays on the chemistry forums lately, what happened? ;)
hahaha no one is posting questions on the chem forums anymore

mreditor16

HSC
I wish I continued Latin for my senior studies, but I found the grammar a bit boring haha.
the grammar part is the one where I get the most marks, because it is the section where you need most logic haha. but I have to say year 12 latin is completely different to 7 to 11 latin. in 7 to 11, all the latin you do is from a textbook, which is written in latin by author who has designed it such that it can be easily translated into latin. but when you get to year 12, you're reading original latin by famous authors, so you're reading latin that has a target audience of native speakers. so it's a massive step-up. half the time, they're using weird conventions you've never seen before etc. etc. so that's where grammar comes into it - latin is like code which you have to decipher. so that's the reason that boring grammar was taught, it's the cipher (alongside vocab) to the code that you have to break.

but I must say latin is quite valuable subject to learn, especially with my amazing teacher :D and that satisfaction you get from translating by yourself real, original latin from centuries ago :D amazing :)

Have fun haha! I have another day of english to get through. 1 essay down, doing another one currently. Although my quotes are in my head, i am going to memorise tehniques and quotes properly, so that i don't blank out in the exam if it were to happen.
haha good plan :D

HSC
Why isn't maths compulsory. No one is going to use shakespeare or anything from english.

MATHS - you will find the volumes of pools to determine how much water needs to put in.
- complex numbers, without this, no electricity.
- mechanics/physics, without an understanding of this, we would never know anything about forces, nor friction or how to implement these forces into our cars and tyres (friction)

English is pointless

There is more to be listed but have to get back to english :(

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
the grammar part is the one where I get the most marks, because it is the section where you need most logic haha. but I have to say year 12 latin is completely different to 7 to 11 latin. in 7 to 11, all the latin you do is from a textbook, which is written in latin by author who has designed it such that it can be easily translated into latin. but when you get to year 12, you're reading original latin by famous authors, so you're reading latin that has a target audience of native speakers. so it's a massive step-up. half the time, they're using weird conventions you've never seen before etc. etc. so that's where grammar comes into it - latin is like code which you have to decipher. so that's the reason that boring grammar was taught, it's the cipher (alongside vocab) to the code that you have to break.

but I must say latin is quite valuable subject to learn, especially with my amazing teacher :D and that satisfaction you get from translating by yourself real, original latin from centuries ago :D amazing :)

haha good plan :D
Yeah, I know, I realllly regret not continuing studying Latin now for that reason. And I've become a bit more patient now in my senior years too..probably one of my biggest regrets (along with not doing an accelerated subject).

What are you doing for your Latin prep? Just revising grammar/vocabulary or are you memorising a passage?

mreditor16

HSC
Yeah, I know, I realllly regret not continuing studying Latin now for that reason. And I've become a bit more patient now in my senior years too..probably one of my biggest regrets (along with not doing an accelerated subject).

What are you doing for your Latin prep? Just revising grammar/vocabulary or are you memorising a passage?
its completely different in year 12. I've doing past papers, first of all, for my revision - i.e. 2014 trial papers from other schools, because the texts for latin change every year :/

so for latin 2u, you have 16 marks of seen translation, 14 marks worth of grammar Qs, 20 marks of short answer analysis questions, and then two 500 word essay questions (analysis again) each worth 10 marks. and then two unseens, each worth 15, and 5 of those marks for each unseen are on grammar Qs regarding the unseen passage, but these Qs are designed to assist your translation :D

frankly, for seen translation, there is about 1000 lines worth of stuff to cover, so I don't have the time to memorise. I just make sure I am familiar with the content, and then translate on the spot on the day. ofc I've seen it before, but I don't rote / memorise seen translation. also for grammar, you revise by doing questions - grammar in HSC is multiple choice btw.

and then for analysis, you practice past Qs and revise the analysis you have done.

and for unseens, you practice unseens from sources.

for vocab, there is frankly too much. BOSTES has in their syllabus that you need to know this much:

now, I and most people in my class don't have the time to memorise all that. so any words that come up in our seen or unseens that are on this list we memorise. the reason the list above is important is because, in the HSC, for unseens, they will only give vocab that is not on the list. i.e. if a word is on the list above, you're expected to know its meaning and thus its meaning won't be given in unseens. :/

for reference for everyone, here was the 2U exam I had to sit this year :D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6jYtUdI5WXbTVJxbnBqb2FvZTA/view?usp=sharing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)