HSC Inspiration - Your School Rank Doesn't Matter (1 Viewer)

studybuddy101

HSC
Hey everyone, so now that the HSC results and ATARs have been released i can, with confidence, dispel the myth that school rank matters.

I went to a school that (going by todays ranks) was ranked in the 560s but managed to achieve a 97.7 ATAR. I know the standards on this forum are fairly high but i hope that figure inspires and reminds any of you in lower ranked schools that you can achieve any mark you want with the right attitude. I see far too often people losing hope, underselling themselves or being downright ashamed of the school they go to simply because it isn't amongst the state's "best".

A school is a school, you'll be taught the same content either way. What matters is your attitude. Go in because you want to learn, because knowledge is going to make you a better person and i can guarantee the results will follow. More importantly, your passion will spread to your classmates and eventually you'll be surrounded by a group of positive thinkers willing to put in the hard yards as a team and not just for themselves.

So congratulations to the class of 2013 today and good luck to all year groups to follow.

Study hard, set goals, stay hungry

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
This is true. My school has fluctuated between 150th-300ish and I managed. Anyone can achieve any ATAR if they understand the system and are willing to put in the required amount of effort. Going to a low-ranked school simply means you have to ensure that your work is marked to actual HSC standards, and attain the highest ranks, which should be quite easy if you're aiming for an ATAR in the high 90's.

Congratulations to the OP for being awesome!

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Same here, I go to a school that droped to rank 590's and I still managed to get a 'good' ATAR. However I did do MX2 and all the Asian subjects

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
This is true. My school has fluctuated between 150th-300ish and I managed. Anyone can achieve any ATAR if they understand the system and are willing to put in the required amount of effort. Going to a low-ranked school simply means you have to ensure that your work is marked to actual HSC standards, and attain the highest ranks, which should be quite easy if you're aiming for an ATAR in the high 90's.

Congratulations to the OP for being awesome!
sorry, stalker tendencies, but congrats on the amazing ATAR and English marks!! Damn, that SR in Eng adv :p

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
OP is truth.

Hard work and pushing yourself beyond barriers will always be merited. You can come from a smallest of comprehensives from the furtherest of regions, and still end up in a uni course mixing with all those kids that did go to those top schools in the end :)

studybuddy101

HSC
For the curious I took a good mix of legal, Eco, maths 2u and 3u, physics, music and English advanced. Hope that also helps with the myth that you can't do well on 13 units. Just put in the effort and love the subjects you do! :)

integral95

HSC
Haha last year my School was ranked in the Mid 600s (only 1 DA credit lol)

But people in my year priorities their studies properly and ended up with students with achieving high band 5s and 6s, thus achieving ATARs of high 90s

While I agree that school ranks doesn't really affect individuals that much, it does give a general idea of the quality of the cohorts in the previous year which could indicate potential dropkicks next year dragging the marks down. This year my school is ranked in the 300s so it shows that school ranks don't affect the cohort.

Thus the myth that school rank really matters is untrue

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Congratulations to OP!

I was in a similar situation.

I went to a low 600+ ranked school and ended up smashing my expectations and underestimated my ability.

The only reason I underestimated my ability is because I went to a low ranked school.

In the end I received 96+ ATAR as well as someone else.

Also, two others received above 91.

Another two got over 87.

In the end our school jumped around 150 ranks. However, this doesn't matter.

It just goes to show that the mark is up to the student.

If the student wants to study, then they will do well.

So in the end, school rank doesn't mean much.

You can get any ATAR at any school.

Plus, I enjoyed the extra's that come with going to a lower ranked school. You can get so many awards and still do well in the final exams. Also, the teachers will put in their best effort towards a lower good cohort, giving you more help than you would get if you were at a school filled with many other smart cookies who need the same amount of help.

EDIT: The myth of being "dragged down" by students in your year can be avoided. If the teachers are fair and have no "favourites", then you will not get dragged down.

Top 3 in a class of mine got B6 and got the same mark.

The 4th person got a 71.

Our assessment marks weren't affected, because the difference between ranks was equal to the difference in marks in the final HSC.
So you can't get dragged down if the teacher marks properly and fairy (we had students getting less than 10% in the trial).

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
To OP, your words are truly golden-congratulations on the awesome effort, don't compare yourself to others in this forum, yes, a lot of people on BOS may have higher marks, but I think you are still brilliant in your own right. You absolutely deserved a very well-earned mark:), and what you say about the paramount importance of having a right attitude and never ever giving up remains true not only in HSC years, but later on in life as well. I truly hope you are happy and proud of your results, and that what ever you decide to study in uni-you will get in and succeed in all your future endeavours-I have no doubt that you will. Best wishes for the future:) (and thanks for such an awesome post!)

Confound

HSC
Tbh if I went to a school ranked 160 at least, with the same amount of studying, I could've reached my goal of 95 for sure. Because I was in a school ranked late 400s, I ended up with 92.75. My assessment marks were very appalling. And I'm 100% sure that if the school was more competitive! my assessment would raise and so would my hsc marks and atar. I honestly wished I had listened to my parents and went to the higher ranked school they suggested

I knows it's possible to get a high atar going to a bad school, every school has those 2 or 3 kids who dominate everything. But you'll never find at least 20 students who get a 95+ atar in one year who went to the same terribly ranked school

Last edited:

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
My school ranked 305 this year some chick pulled 99.7

School rank doesn't matter.

darkness70

HSC
It's only your rank in the school that matters, not the rank of the school. If you're 1st in school, then there's no barriers to getting that 99.95 ATAR

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
You earned that result. School ranks make NO difference.
This. I was very happy with my result, and underestimated myself purely over school rank.

It made no difference in the end, and I still got a very high mark I deserved.

By underestimating myself, I studied a lot harder, thinking I would get a low mark.

That extra study made a huge difference in the end.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
100% truth.

The school I taught at this year was ranked 305.

Highest ATAR was 99.7 followed by 98.90, 98.40 and 98.15.

People who use poor school rank for poor performance show poor form.

My school ranked 305 this year some chick pulled 99.7

School rank doesn't matter.
Anjana is not just some chick :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)