HSC marks in relation to SC marks (1 Viewer)

dp624

HSC
nah, there probably isn't much of a correlation, though people who work hard throughout years 7 to 12 will get both good uais and good sc.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
my mark was okay. :eek:
You got 99 in School Certificate Mathematics so there's no need to be embarrassed.

The HSC Mathematics Exam was harder than the School Certificate but you got 100 in that so it seems that you went better in it than the School Certificate.

Last edited:

studentcheese

HSC
I know some people who have worked extremely hard throughout year 7 - year 12, but only got band 3's for the school certificate and 60 uai for the HSC.

I would say that there is some certain correlation. Those who do well in their school certificate, usually end up getting high UAI's. If you look at the school's annual report statistics, students improve on average 2% (can't remember actual numbers..but somewhere around 1% - 5%) from school certificate to Higher school Certificate, so there isn't much of an improvement. Yes... people may improve, but usually those who do well, are able to maintain their results to also achieve high UAIs. The School Certificate is mainly a test on skills and natural intelligence..and that is why the ones who do well in the School Certificate will go on to do well in the Higher School Certificate because their natural intelligence + hardwork in Higher School Certificate will permit them to achieve higher UAIs. (unless someone does well in the School Certificate but their laziness gives them the >60 uai)

lordesf

HSC
i didint do very well in schol ceritificate e.g eng 76 etc and i got band4 in science, and band 5 in geo and history

but ye in the hsc i got 84 in hsc, etc etc and got an uai of 94.85

so i dont think theres much connection..

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
I know some people who have worked extremely hard throughout year 7 - year 12, but only got band 3's for the school certificate and 60 uai for the HSC.
dont think so, unless the extremely hard is different to what i'm thinking

i dont believe that especially since it says THROUGHOUT YR 7-12

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
not very surprising as school certificate doesn't seem to test anything apart from the luck of that person on the day and intelligence to extremely minor extent.
And you think that is different to the HSC?

studentcheese

HSC
dont think so, unless the extremely hard is different to what i'm thinking

i dont believe that especially since it says THROUGHOUT YR 7-12
yeah, I hate it when people say they have done nothing and achieved 99+ I also hate it when people say that they have worked extremely hard, achieving 60 and then they claim that the HSC system is fucked. ;)

Baggygreen408

HSC
don't think you can really make any comparisons, perhaps some, alhtough limited:

English SC is a literary text, HSC English is context based...
Maths SC is half MC, HSC (2Unit) and greater doesnt have any (Yet), and besides, the level fo maths for HSC is more in depth and difficult obviously
Science SC- each science subject varies i guess.
history/geography: have your different branches, but dont think comparisons can be made.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The studies I have read indicate that typically a student's performance in the School Certificate explains roughly 50% of their performance in the Higher School Certificate.

The remaining 50% is attributable to a range of other factors (some known, some unknown).

HSC
Of course it's different. You can actually study for the HSC whilst for the SC, it's more a do you know your basics and have any common sense.
I did a School Certificate 10 week preparation course in year 10. It seems we can be taught common sense. :haha: Oh well I'm not complaining, I did good in the SC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)