HSC PDHPE Marathon (2 Viewers)

Chris_S

HSC
As I have seen Astro make a marathon thread for engineering I was thinking that one of the best available subjects to study should have one too! As it is a content heavy topic, we should help each other to learn the topics, help our writing style and target the areas we are struggling with! I will start off with an easy question -
Describe the effect of stroke volume and cardiac output on aerobic performance (3 marks)

Remember to highlight or circle the key words as these are where the marks are going to be allocated!

Last edited:

StudyToDeath

HSC
Here I go....

Stroke volume is the amount of blood pumped from the left ventricle per minute. As an adaptation to aerobic performance stroke volume increases. Cardiac output is the amount of blood pumped from the heart per minute. As the resting heart rate decreases and stroke volume increases as a result of aerobic training the body is able to work more effectively. Resulting in more oxygenated blood to cells and muscles as well as enhanced removal of carbon dioxide.

StudyToDeath

HSC
I don't understand subphases(micro and macro). Could you please explain this to me? :D

Chris_S

HSC
- preparation for competition can be divided into manageable blocks called macrocycles and microcycles
- macrocycles are large blocks within a cycle of training that usually last for 3-6 weeks and vary throughout year depending on the phases of competition and training outcomes required. They are long-term planning frameworks, sometimes called an annual plan. Provides overview of what is to happen in terms of long-term training and preparation
- while macrocycles represent an overview, more specific detail is contained in mesocycles and microcycles
- mesocycle represents a major phase of training within a macrocycle or training phase. Each mesocycle should aim to elicit significant improvement in a particular aspect of fitness
- the length of mesocycle vary from 3-8 weeks, with 4 weeks being the most common duration
- microcycle is a shorter training period of about 7-10 days and includes more detailed information on the intensity, frequency, duration and sequencing of a training session. These allow for manipulation of training volumes, intensities and recovery
You don't have to know about mesocycles but are good to get our head around the whole idea!

Chris_S

HSC
Your response is good! I would give it 3! Here is mine -
Stroke volume is the amount of blood ejected by the left ventricle during a contraction. Cardiac output is the amount of blood pumped by the heart per minute. Due to muscle hypertrophy of the heart, more blood can be pumped in a single contraction. Therefore, as cardiac output increases, stroke volume increases and thus more oxygenate blood is pumped to the working muscles at time of high demand. This means that muscles can work for longer which can positively affect/benefit aerobic performance.

Chris_S

HSC
New Question -
Outline TWO socioeconomic determinants that contribute to health inequities experienced by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples (3 marks)

StudyToDeath

HSC
3/3 for your response too! Thank you so much for the explanation :D

ATSI are socioenomcially disadvantage with 50% of ASTI on the lowest income threshold and only 1% on the top threshold. There is a direct link between wealth and health inequalities as they are unable to afford fresh foods, less access to services and medical treatment. Additionally ATSI have lower education rates which contributes to their knowledge of making healthy choices and their occupations are typically more risky resulting in more injuries and illnesses.

Chris_S

HSC
That is good and definitely full marks! But remember though for the first time you say ATSI you have to say Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders and then ATSI in brackets and after this you can use ATSI in the rest of your response. Do you have any questions I can answer?

StudyToDeath

HSC
thanks, I'll do that next time.

Identify health areas where epidemiology may be difficult to measure accurately. 3 marks

HSC
Identify health areas where epidemiology may be difficult to measure accurately. 3 marks[/QUOTE]

A limitation of epidemiology is that it does not measure all areas of health as they are difficult to measure. For example, it is difficult to measure the level of mental illnesses in a given population, such as anxiety and depression. Epidemiology also does not take into account socio-cultural factors that impact health, thus some areas of health are not measured accurately. For example, epidemiology shows that young males are the most prominent group in road accidents, however, epidemiology does not show that young males are more likely to be injured due to risk taking behaviours and negative attitudes towards road safety.

Chris_S

HSC
Nice! These are some of the main limitations of epidemiology if you want to see -
- fails to explain socio-cultural factors that contribute to negative health behaviours
- doesn’t account for quality of life or assess the impact on others

StudyToDeath

HSC
- epidemiology relies on self surveying tools
- epidemiology is difficult to understand and must be interpreted by governments and other organisations. Eg. policy developers making legislation

StudyToDeath

HSC
Exam predictions???

Pretty certain Ottawa Charter will be in the exam

Chris_S

HSC
Yeah I think that it will be the 8 marker for core 1 and with social justice principles! Also think that a question of validity and reliability will appear just to stuff me up!

Chris_S

HSC
Hopefully a good 5 marker on the energy systems like last year but I doubt it!

Chris_S

HSC
Are you prepared for the exam on Friday yet?

StudyToDeath

HSC
Are you prepared for the exam on Friday yet?
I'm still not very confident with Improving Peformance as that was the last thing I learnt. I will work on that. Other than that I know my content well. But I still make stupid mistakes....especially in multiple choice. What about you?

StudyToDeath

HSC
My predictions for the options are (or hopeful for)

Sports med
- Physical Preparation
- one on either children, women, adult and aged athletes
- sports rules and polices

Improving Peformance
- initial planing considerations
- Drugs

Chris_S

HSC
Multiple choice is a killer for me! I got top 3 in my cohort and only got 14/20 for multiple choice where in sports med I got like 28/30

Chris_S

HSC
So you think drugs will be asked not technology?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)