HSC Physics - 2014 Predictions (1 Viewer)

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Yea, I know the type of scientist. But I only remember was Tsikocski (or something like that) who discovered the escape velocity

Last edited:

timeflies

HSC
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/physics-st6-syl.pdf

Check page 14 for PFAs

Don't trust your memory! Trust me! (And the syllabus!)
Check page 38, outcome 12.3(e) for PRACTISING male and female scientist
How can they even check if what you're saying for this question is true? Couldn't you technically say something like your uncle Bob and aunt Laura are physicists and study and research superconductors and how to use them for possible practical applications, elaborate on higher critical temperatures etc and just make it all up LOL

Last edited:

iStudent

HSC
Where can we find resources for PFAs and the practising scientists?

Chris100

HSC
100% agree. Most of my tutoring students never hear about it from their school teacher. But, go through the last 10 years of examinations and I guarantee there are questions relating to them in each exam. Most likely 4+ marks.
So in the 2013 HSC paper, where is the question about australian scientists
cant seem to find it :(

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
The question was on naming a scientist in space exploration and had something to do with that (can't remember now exactly what).

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't mean just that outcome, but all of the PFA and the Skills outcomes which are 11 of the 16 outcomes in the syllabus!

Knowledge and Understanding (I.e the 'dotpoints') are only 5 of the 16 outcomes!

I can't remember the entire 2013 exam, but Q31 (the 7 marker) was based around a PFA. Most of the big questions are.

wagig

HSC
Is it possible for the exam to ask to name an australian scientist and talk about their scientific contribution?
The only scientist I've studied is Goddard, and he's an American.

Also, I'm hoping for many many equations in this exam!

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
How can they even check if what you're saying for this question is true? Couldn't you technically say something like your uncle Bob and aunt Laura are physicists and study and research superconductors and how to use them for possible practical applications, elaborate on higher critical temperatures etc and just make it all up LOL
It may be amazing, as old as we are, but last year we were introduced to this term called 'googling'! :)

They asked a similar question in one of the old school cert exams, which they used Google to check. It was about naming a PRACTICING AUSTRALIAN scientist. It was answered so poorly they ended up accepting Einstein who was neither practicing nor Australian.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
would it be highly "unlikely" though?
Well, it hasn't been asked since the new syllabus came in (13 years), to me that would make it likely! It has to be asked one day! Guaranteed the day it is asked it will be very poorly done! Just like identifying superconductors and their critical temperatures.

I'm pretty sure it was in the preliminary independent Bio exam this year!

photastic

HSC
Well, it hasn't been asked since the new syllabus came in (13 years), to me that would make it likely! It has to be asked one day! Guaranteed the day it is asked it will be very poorly done! Just like identifying superconductors and their critical temperatures.

I'm pretty sure it was in the preliminary independent Bio exam this year!
Nah, the dot point is so simple and straight forward, simply giving away marks tbh if asked.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
It may be amazing, as old as we are, but last year we were introduced to this term called 'googling'! :)

They asked a similar question in one of the old school cert exams, which they used Google to check. It was about naming a PRACTICING AUSTRALIAN scientist. It was answered so poorly they ended up accepting Einstein who was neither practicing nor Australian.

That's really sad..

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Question 7
If you look through a piece of red-tinted glass, everything is seen in shades of red. Similarly, if
you look through a piece of blue-tinted glass, everything will be seen in shades of blue. Consider
the following statements:
(I) The tinting process makes the glass absorb the corresponding colour, i.e. red-tinted glass
strongly absorbs red light, making everything appear red.
(II) The tinting process makes the glass absorb all colours except the corresponding colour,
i.e. red-tinted glass will strongly absorb blue and green, but not red.
(III) If you stack the red and blue tinted pieces of glass and look through them, everything will
look quite dark.
Which of these statements is/are true?
(A) I and II
(B) I and III
(C) II and III
(D) I only
(E) II only

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Question 7
If you look through a piece of red-tinted glass, everything is seen in shades of red. Similarly, if
you look through a piece of blue-tinted glass, everything will be seen in shades of blue. Consider
the following statements:
(I) The tinting process makes the glass absorb the corresponding colour, i.e. red-tinted glass
strongly absorbs red light, making everything appear red.
(II) The tinting process makes the glass absorb all colours except the corresponding colour,
i.e. red-tinted glass will strongly absorb blue and green, but not red.
(III) If you stack the red and blue tinted pieces of glass and look through them, everything will
look quite dark.
Which of these statements is/are true?
(A) I and II
(B) I and III
(C) II and III
(D) I only
(E) II only
Why is this in here?

Its either E or C. I'm more inclined to E because the wording in (III) is not completely correct. You can actually get certain interference patterns which will not filter out the light to make it completely dark.

// EOF; Ctrl+D; Back on topic;

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
Probably transistor or superconductor and michelson morley.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Did the 2013 paper...wasnt bad. There was one question I got rekt, the multiple choice question about the current flow. In Q30, about the development about the changing of electrical propertise of mateirals.. I had mention about transistors.

Anyway, there is a high chance they would be a Michelson and Morley experiment question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)