HSC plus problem :( (1 Viewer)

kbsb

HSC
with HSC plus, you are allowed up to 5 additional points on your ATAR rite....so technically if someone got 96 ATAR and got 4 additional points (becomes 100 or 99.95) and someone else applying for course got 96 ATAR but 5 additional points (thus 101 ATAR, even though its not possible) will both ATAR's be written and considered as 99.95 or will the 101 ATAR (lol) be considered better in the selection process...

astroe

HSC
There are enough spaces in the courses for HSC Plus applicants.
Theoretically the real cutoff for the course should be 5 less than the actual one, due to HSC plus scheme.

I remember there waa some SMH article awhile back saying the whole bonus points system just makes the courses seem more 'prestigious' by having such a high ATAR cutoff, yet having these bonus points allowances.

In regards to your question, I'm not too sure who would be considered first, but as far as the requirements are concerned, both people have made it into the course as there are adequate places for them.

This is why courses like Law aren't included, there isn't enough room due to the current high demand, whereas Commerce is included for example.

Tim035

HSC
There aren't many (if any) courses that give bonus points where someone with an ATAR >95 would not get in.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
with HSC plus, you are allowed up to 5 additional points on your ATAR rite....so technically if someone got 96 ATAR and got 4 additional points (becomes 100 or 99.95) and someone else applying for course got 96 ATAR but 5 additional points (thus 101 ATAR, even though its not possible) will both ATAR's be written and considered as 99.95 or will the 101 ATAR (lol) be considered better in the selection process...
I'm not sure about the other universities, but at UNSW (according to one of the recruitment staff at the open day), all ATARs are capped at 99.95 - no matter how many HSC Plus, Educational Access Scheme or AAA Scholarship points you get.

runnable

HSC
HSCPlus does not apply to a number of courses such as Law, Medicine and Commerce (International). It does not add to your ATAR, it just reduces the cut-off.

imoO

HSC
Say in the event that two students are vying for one last spot.

Person 1 does NO subjects that are relevant to that course, so they are not eligible for HSC Plus. Person 2 does, but he/she has an ATAR that is 5 points lower than person 1. When HSC Plus is considered, they both have the same ATAR. Who gets accepted?

Using common sense I'd think the person with the higher ATAR without considering HSC Plus would, but I just wanted to ask...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
From my understanding, I think there are two separate pools of applicants. They first considers all applicants with the highest UAIs (points from HSC PLUS not included) and gives out offer to these applicants, the lowest UAI to be accepted becomes the published cut off.

Then, there are reserved spots in the course that caters the HSC bonus Plus scheme and all of the applicants who didn't get in via the above method will compete for these spots. The highest UAIs (with the bonus points) will be offered a place.

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Say in the event that two students are vying for one last spot.

Person 1 does NO subjects that are relevant to that course, so they are not eligible for HSC Plus. Person 2 does, but he/she has an ATAR that is 5 points lower than person 1. When HSC Plus is considered, they both have the same ATAR. Who gets accepted?

Using common sense I'd think the person with the higher ATAR without considering HSC Plus would, but I just wanted to ask...
I think they would give a place to both of them. An extra place would not make much of a different.

Last edited:

4theHSC

HSC
To even attain bonus points, you need to get like band 5s/6s in reasonably challenging subjects.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
To even attain bonus points, you need to get like band 5s/6s in reasonably challenging subjects.
The subject has to be related to the degree, it doesn't neccesarily have to be challenging.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
To get around say 90, which is 5 below BComm entry mark, then you'd need to be pulling B 5's anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)