HSC suicides and depression (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
We had a year 12 student at our school a few years ago commit suicide, around term 2 sometime.

She did write a letter addressed to the school population, but I was away on the day they read it over the PA.... so I'm not entirely sure why she did it/what was going through her mind etc.

Personally I feel that there is always hope no matter what the situation, and always space for change - especially at such a young age. I think if anyone is stressed out to the point they are seriously considering suicide as an option - they need to leave school quick smart. They need to give themselves some time and space to breathe.

The HSC is not the end of the world. And no one should make it the end of their world.

There's nothing more tragic then the loss of a young life, especially when the young person themself was the one who decided their life was not worth living.

It is definately NOT the answer.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
_DeathlessOne_ said:
OMG it looks like its that time of year again where I recite the story about the kid who collected enough string twine from his answer booklets and hung himself in the toilets during an exam.
That's awesome.

The string... I mean. Good times.

taki999

HSC
^ fucken troll...
Guess take a deep breath! Go outside for a while if your feeling a bit stressed.
HSC isnt worth killing yourself.

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
taki999 said:
^ fucken troll...
Guess take a deep breath! Go outside for a while if your feeling a bit stressed.
Why is everyone calling what971 a troll?

For fuck's sake, she was here before you.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
etc. etc. etc. said:
We had a year 12 student at our school a few years ago commit suicide, around term 2 sometime.

She did write a letter addressed to the school population, but I was away on the day they read it over the PA.... so I'm not entirely sure why she did it/what was going through her mind etc.

Personally I feel that there is always hope no matter what the situation, and always space for change - especially at such a young age. I think if anyone is stressed out to the point they are seriously considering suicide as an option - they need to leave school quick smart. They need to give themselves some time and space to breathe.

The HSC is not the end of the world. And no one should make it the end of their world.

There's nothing more tragic then the loss of a young life, especially when the young person themself was the one who decided their life was not worth living.

It is definately NOT the answer.
That's terrible :(
I agree with everything you say there Collette...
There are reasons for living and everyone can find hope....

taki999

HSC
yeah...with unneeded output =/

do you really think that irony is needed when you heard people from dying in such cases as they cant handle all the stress

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
taki999 said:
^ fucken troll...
You don't understand, the string was awesome. I tied one of the longer ones around my wrist as a lucky charm, I purposely requested more booklets so I could get my hands onto more string. The string is awesome, when the HSC comes along, you'll understand, young 06er.

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
taki999 said:
do you really think that irony is needed when you heard people from dying in such cases as they cant handle all the stress
Make some more sense? :)

passion89

HSC
The year 12 period is a stressful time for all but it shouldn't be something worth dying over. My friend was very intent on suicide and it took the effort of a LOT of people to talk him out of it.
He now sees councellors and everyone still worries about him but he has come a long way. I was so shocked to hear about his depression because personally, I don't think the HSC is something that can truly make or break your life (though the mentality is usually exactly this).

If you are finding it EXTREMELY stressful, talk to someone - anyone! One of my friend's problems was that he didn't think he could talk to anyone and through this, his depression escalated.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
This is kinda sadistic, but when one one commits suicide or gives up, thats one less person to compete with in the HSC, thats if theyre better than me ...

and of course ...

volition said:
I never contemplated suicide during my HSC, and that's the way it should be. There are always backdoors in to things anyway, there's no need to go and kill yourself over the HSC.
and ..

airie said:
I sometimes feel really depressed now in Year 11 already. Not to the extent that I wanna kill myself though
i have the exact same view, except i experience frustrating lows and proud highs in year 11 ... oh yes go me in chemistry, physics and ipt !!

Last edited:

turtleface

HSC
When I was in high school, the teachers used to tell us that VCE/HSC wasn't the be all and end all. I thought they were just saying that to make those who got poor grades feel better, but its true. You always have opportunities to follow your career dreams, no matter how old or how crap you went in HSC.

Although people used to tell me this before I graduated, I thought they were full of crap and were making excuses for failure. But its true: HSC is such an insignificant event, whose importance is far overstated. You'd have to be the biggest weirdo to contemplate suicide over something so insignificant.

Once you're in Uni or a career, you realise HSC was the biggest overrated piece of crap ever.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
the ppl that talk about it do it less.. the ones that dont .. are the ones tat always surprise u.. they normally do it..

cos gettin support and help makes a difference...

taki999

HSC
You don't understand, the string was awesome. I tied one of the longer ones around my wrist as a lucky charm, I purposely requested more booklets so I could get my hands onto more string. The string is awesome, when the HSC comes along, you'll understand, young 06er.
icic...i it just sounded really weird why you talked about string...
So does the string work?? Kinda reminds me of the red string/band Cloud from FF AD has...

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Nakashima said:
Make some more sense? :)
I also found it hilarious that he thought it was real. hey taki, the string, it's harmless.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
it's not really from the hsc itself that makes people contemplate suicide, but the actual stress assosciated with schooling and external factors that you don't know about. so i hardly doubt that anyone has the ability to say "wow that person's emo coz he tried to suicide" without even knowing the person properly.

and yeah, i have contemplated suicide, but realised it wasn't worth it. what would it achieve? i'd be dishonouring my family, i'd be leaving my friend's behind. What good comes out of that? Escaping temporary pain? I'd rather live life.

ediisjoz

HSC
I havent thought about suicide, but i understand why people have or want to do it.

I find it too stressful for people our age.. i think that its not fair, howeverm i understand why we need to do it.

i think stress placed on people by parents is just insane. my parents are great with what i want to do - i'm even going to be my dad's dental nurse, so i'm kind of set, and the only thing they expect is that i try my hardest, yet i always feel as if i am the let down of the family, which really hurts.

tigerlily**

HSC
i would say ive experienced your position before. getting depressed because i think im not 'good enough'. This whole getting the top UAI thing is just simply to test your effort ability and how much your can put into it. Sure, everyone can get 99.7 if they work hard. At the end of the day, the UAI digits does NOT determine how smart your are. You're already making an effort getting through it, so keep it up.

sleepplease

HSC
a mate of mine recently hung himself over the hsc - thought he was useless, thought he was letting his family down etc.

ediisjoz never feel like you are letting your family down. they love you for YOU not because of some mark. your UAI is not who YOU are.. *hugs* hang in there, not too much longer :)

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
I know this might sound really insensitive but there are girls at my school who tell people that they want to commit suicide just to get attention. Thats why nobody suspects the quiet ones.

All the assessments in term 2 are putting alot of pressure on everyone, and more than once, I've thought about suicide because i'm too scared of failing which is kind of sad i guess and my history teacher keeps making us compete against each other which makes it even worse. But yea, I'm too scared to do it anyways and theres too much to live for and I can't wait when the HSC is over and we can laugh about how overrated it was, like turtleface said.

Last edited:

taki999

HSC
^ for a second after reading it i was thinking *im gonna slap you across the face* for not thinking aside...

what971: yeah yeah i know the string is a good luck charm...but the way you worded like scared the crap out of me!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)