hurrah for history nerds :D (1 Viewer)

narrator

HSC
N/A
i do both ancient and ext and really enjoy both, how anyone could not like ancient i don't know

i say hurrah for history nerds

fish_monger

History Nerds unite!

I love this subject! It is amazing (and I don't mean to boast, but I'm top of my class!:D )
We did Xerxes for our personality study, Sparta:To the battle of Leuctra for our ancient society, and we did The Greek World 500-440 Bc and New kingdom egypt form Amenhotep III to Ramesses II for out Historic Periods.
I loved the Egyptian bit the best, and I would have liked to do some rome. I wasn't too keen on all the greek stuff, though nobody could argue that Sparta wasnt interesting.

Samaximus

HSC
Hello.
It would be greatly apppreciated if anyone had reliable notes on the social class structure of the Spartan society or even a few historian names who wrote about the spartan social classes (specially the 4 separate inferior groups). Thanks heaps.
Peace

ancient_nut

I love love love Ancient History. I read it in my spare time, I think about it a lot, I'm studying the max my uni will let me. (no, I don't have a life :p)

I did Mycenae, Greece 500-440, Caesar and the Fall of the Republic in year 12. I looked forward to Mycenae and Greece the most, and they were the ones I enjoyed the most. Since leaving school I've studied Archaic Greece, Power and Persuasion (Near East and Rome), modern and ancient thinkers and their impact upon (primarily ancient) history, the development of Roman imperialism, and "The World Alexander Made" (tracing the rise and fall of Macedon). Next year I'm doing even more :p

I now have a history library at home (OK, it's just over a bookshelf, but it's still impressive). I own far too many books for my own good and Abbeys (the best bookstore in Sydney for Ancient History) loves me because every time I go in there I blow all my money :p

ancient_nut

Social Classes in Sparta

I don't know as much as I should on this area but a great book to read is one by Luraghi and Alcock on the helots- it reexamines all the information we have. See "Texts to Use Instead of Pamela Bradley" for the title, classics_chic has obviously read it as well :p

Gummy_bear

HSC
I think i would of found ancient history more interesting if i didnt have to kearn so very very much! i am interested in it, i love egypt and...hmm, some aspects of rome.
i loved doing history in years 7-10 because it was so fun! i got to make my own pyramid and i worked so hard on it! :)

i wish they could make ancient more fun for the HSC..
apparently for 2006 HSC pompeii is going to become a core thing to study which every has to study. i would of loved that! pompeii is probibly my fav ancient thing of all time! my dad went there when he was a kid and he has these really old booklets that fold out and show pictures of all the stuff there, theres one of a person on the ground reaching their hand out. amazing! very sad that it happened, but very cool that it still stands today!

Samaximus

HSC
Thanks heaps ancient nut. i think that source would be just wonderful. tx again.
peace

a8o

HSC
For me:

Rome > Greece.
The HSC has a void from, I dunno, 300AD through to 1700AD. We need another history course!

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
I was called the 'history-nut' at my school last year...Mainly cos i loved history (though modern history i find kinda boring) ..also the usless facts involving Egypt. And the fact that my dad does Roman Reenactment & we both do Medieval Reenactment. I love the medieval era...in fact another reason why im the 'history-nut' is the fact for my Industrial Technology major project, i made a A-frame Viking Tent & two medieval chests that i can use for the reenactment....

Oh crap...i am a history freak..meh!

If anyone is interested in Reenactment..there are group that do different eras go too;

http://www.arlho.net/index.html

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
I absolutely adore ancient history. I thought the hsc course was really enjoyable, but i could understand why some ppl would think of it being boring with all that information to have to go thru. But i had an awesome teacher who really helped to motivate me so i cant really say that was the case for me.

I'm really into the roman, medieval, and renaisance periods tho i like a bit of greece too . Im gonna do some history units at uni this yr, hopefully if things go right i mite even major in it.

Long live history nerds!! :D :D :D

Last edited:

Clarebare

HSC
History is the best subject ever - especially ancient. I look forward to every lesson and don't even mind doing all the homework I get. I have a really cool teacher, and when it's hot or when we have anc last period on a friday, she lets us watch history videos. They're great.

X

xeuyrawp

malayz_angel said:
these guys (eg Herodotus) didn't have people whose styles they could imitate or whose methods they could copy...all of their history work was their own and led to shaping heaps of other historians later.
That's interesting.

What do you say about the thousands of literary sources that were written thousands of years before Herodotus?

Or did the Greeks create history as well as Western intelligence? :rolleyes:

edit:
a8o said:
For me:

Rome > Greece.
The HSC has a void from, I dunno, 300AD through to 1700AD. We need another history course!
The path from Late Antiquity through the Medieval towards Early Modernity would be impossible to translate to an HSC compatible course.

They could probably do a bit on the Byzantine empire, I guess, but it wouldn't be as functional as the present options.

Last edited by a moderator:

pirate!

HSC
well, all i can say to all you people with mildly good teachers at the least; i hate you. i was quite interested in it, hence why i chose this subject. but no, they give us the single crappest teacher in the school. i remember someone else saying they had a shocking teacher, well i really think mine could beat yours. She'd probably eat you as well while your at it. She's famous for saying things frequently such as:

"If you get 88, and i scale you up 4 marks, you'll get 96!"

"If you work hard and do your work you could get band 6 or even higher!"

"You can leave this school whenever you want to, now sit down!"

"How dare you do that to me! I'm busting my guts trying to do the best by you!" Said every time anyone does anything.

"OMMMMGGGGGGGGG, ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Shhhhhhhhiiiiiii {never quite finished saying shit}" *promtly runs to the office*- After she figures out the entire year 12 had already been given the question, in 2005, that she set as Assessment Task #2

(After Steve said he has no bed) "I have a spare bed if you want it!"

Apart from frequent things as this, there are the sheets. My school is too poor to buy us *actual* textbooks, so she appears to derive amusement from photocopying. We believe she is the sole reason for deforestation.

However, things have worsened. Not only do the print room ladies hate her, now the library ladies do as well. As she has recently given us a "class project" to do, ie teaching each other, we have all hijacked the freeness of the photocopier, using up many a sheet photocopying booklets for everyone. Subsequently, our Ancient History class has now been banned from photocopying anything to do with this class.

Also, she once attempted to sit casually on a table that was too tall for her, resulting in a bending of the table leg and her falling off, to much hilarity.

From this, I have concluded that my class has the worst teacher. If anyone can beat this seemingly amazing feat (sp?) she has achieved, please post.

pointless

Just around the Corner...wanna go for a walk?
HSC
pirate! said:
From this, I have concluded that my class has the worst teacher. If anyone can beat this seemingly amazing feat (sp?) she has achieved, please post.
you may have the worst teacher but i assure you that you dont have the most ignorant student...an example..

After she speaks to us about the significance of art...

Student: "Miss!... So people painted naked in pompeii with big "dongs" are gods yeah?"
Teacher: "Thats right..."
Student: "So I'm a god?"

The teacher proceeds to shake her head in disappointment.. as the class crack up..

i have a number of quotes from this particular student..

Samaximus

HSC
ancient history half yearly exam paper

Hello Everyone. I was just wondering if anyone else has finished their Ancient History Half Yearly Exam and can post theitr test paper for me.
It would be much appreciated.
My email address is Samaximus_2006@hotmail.com
Thanx in advance.

Samaximus C.S.

HSC
PwarYuex said:
That's interesting.

What do you say about the thousands of literary sources that were written thousands of years before Herodotus?

Literary sources yes. Histories...no.
Herodotus was the first to write something approaching a history

X

xeuyrawp

ElendilPeredhil said:
Literary sources yes. Histories...no.
Herodotus was the first to write something approaching a history
Oh dear... I'm glad history has now become so exclusive.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
PwarYuex said:
That's interesting.

Of course not. Herodotus was probably a rambling village idiot (not unlike Hesiod), who went from locale to locale pestering people for gossip and (un)likely stories. The Greeks are given too much credit for institutions that are found in countless other societies - in societies that preceded them AND also in their contemporaries. If anything, it was Western Roman interpretations of Greek ideas that are the foundations of 'Western Civilisation'. In the Middle Ages in the West, it was offensive to be called 'Greek' (because the Latins had decided that the Greeks had become decadent and worthless - this of course continued in the Byzatine period and can be seen right up into the modern world. No one likes those lazy arse modern Greeks, now do they? :) ).

I really wish we could get over this fricken cult of the Acropolis. Can't we simply appreciate the ancient world for what it was rather than digging to China for the roots of 'Western Civilisation'?

Does anyone ever realise that we have records reaching back thousand of years before Greek civilisation was even around? We have some of the world earliest musical notation, the Hurrian Hymns - and guess what - it's thousands of years older than Greek civilisation itself!

Lets leave the Greeks alone for a change.

/rant over/.

HSC
i love ancient history. it's by far the best subject and a helluva lot more interesting than modern hstory

it rox my sox!

go you history buffs!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)