I bombed out, please help me. (1 Viewer)

E-Dog

Long Member
HSC
Hey guys. I got way below what I was expecting for my UAI. I'm not blaming anyone but myself, and now it's time for me to fix my own mistakes. My dream is to go to Sydney Uni to study engineering. Please offer you advice on what I should do. I was expecting around 85, which is what I needed for the degree I wanted (Flexible First Year Engineering), and I somehow got 73.35, even though I really didnt think my exams or school marks were bad.

What are my options? Is it possible to enrol in a science degree at USyd then transfer to engineering? Or what about doing the first year at another uni (probably UWS, or UTS if I get in), and then transferring to Sydney?

Remember, this is more than just my first preference. Engo @ Sydney is my dream. Please offer your advice.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
E-Dog said:
Hey guys. I got way below what I was expecting for my UAI. I'm not blaming anyone but myself, and now it's time for me to fix my own mistakes. My dream is to go to Sydney Uni to study engineering. Please offer you advice on what I should do. I was expecting around 85, which is what I needed for the degree I wanted (Flexible First Year Engineering), and I somehow got 73.35, even though I really didnt think my exams or school marks were bad.

What are my options? Is it possible to enrol in a science degree at USyd then transfer to engineering? Or what about doing the first year at another uni (probably UWS, or UTS if I get in), and then transferring to Sydney?

Remember, this is more than just my first preference. Engo @ Sydney is my dream. Please offer your advice.
Do engineering in another uni and then transfer (I think 73 might be good enough if you get extra bonus points)

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
maccas.

jks lad.
transfer, just as the great namu said

E-Dog

Long Member
HSC
I get the impression though that USyd is pretty exclusive. Would they accept a transfer from UWS or UTS?

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
E-Dog said:
I get the impression though that USyd is pretty exclusive. Would they accept a transfer from UWS or UTS?
if you get good enough marks yes. its not like USYD will always think 'good lord a student of UWS *monocle almost falls off* i say, have jeeves set the hounds on them!'

erm

HSC
Engineering at USYD is nothing special. Why is it such a dream?

doink

Clone
HSC
ye dude engineering at usyd is fairly sub-par to begin with, go to UTS or something and transfer after a year if u still want.

E-Dog

Long Member
HSC
For me, university isn't going to be another school. It's as much about the experience as it is about the learning. Sure, UTS might be a bit better for engineering. But its campus is a skyscraper. A pebblecrete skyscraper. It's depressing, and I want to be able to enjoy my uni life.

E-Dog

Long Member
HSC
Exphate said:
You asked a question, and you got honest answers.

Harden the fuck up. You did shit. Either take the options available or don't bother asking.
Dude, I'm haven't complained about any of their answers. I was merely addressing a point about why I don't particularly want to go to UTS. I appreciate people's advice on the issue. Why don't you go and harass someone else. If you don't have anything constructive to say, then I don't want to hear it.

HSC
E-Dog said:

hey man, just wondering if ur sure thats ur uai?
perhaps theres just a total miscalculation?
maybe u should contact the uac and ask them about it if u think its wrong.

sory, got nothin else to advise on the problem. yeh if i were u, i'd probably try and study a science degree at usyd then try and transfer later if u really wanna study at usyd.

engineering

HSC
N/A

piitb

HSC
if you pass every subject at UWS (maybe a couple of credits for good measure) then you would pretty much get in to Usyd engineering.

if you fail a subject (quite common for first year engineering) then be prepared to stay at UWS for the remaining 4/5 years.

basically for 73 uai, u can get into many courses which would ultimatly allow u to transfer to Usyd engineering

you could try 511795 B Computer Science & Technology 76.05

Last edited:

concubine123

HSC
N/A
dude goto uts.. they will take you easy.. i transfered there after a year of uws with a uai in the low 50s. They just overinflate their uai's to look good. Goto uts then transfer. simple!

kara42

HSC
Sorry that you didn't get the UAI you hoped for.

You never know, if you decide to do it at another uni and then transfer, by the time you're ready to transfer you might have decided that you hate it and want to do something else.

I hope whatever you choose to do works out for you!

Scissors

HSC
dude, do engineering at uts.

heaps of people get in with uai's of 70-75.

Joel8945

HSC
E-Dog said:

What were your marks for UAI (i.e. your subject scores)? I did VCE so my UAI knowledge probably wont be too good but my thoughts are why did you get significantly lower than 85! You should have done more scientific subjects such as chemistry instead of music and another maths. As for doing what you love your going to have to choose a uni with an UAI in your range because at the end of the day if you want to engineering you'll do it anywhere!

Last edited:

sunken eyes

HSC
Both unsw and uow have excellent engineering faculties and social aspects. I've been at USYD and love the uni, but you should consider other uni's as well, the strong points of USYD are not unique to it among other uni's.
But a transfer is you're best bet, and whoever said USYD was exclusive is wrong. Just work your ass off and if you deserve it I'm sure they'll consider you.
I would also go and talk to the head of the discipline you want to study. The engineering departments are all relatively small compared to other courses, and they can probably best tell you what they want to see and maybe even fudge things a bit given the less formal nature of engineering admin. All the heads want committed students, I know mine would have pointed you in the right direction if he took you seriously. Hear it from the horse's mouth rather than internet anons.

doink

Clone
HSC
Go UTS and in your breaks go hang out at USYD and pretend to go there, noone will know that way you can enjoy your uni life.

In case you are wondering USYD isn't exactly Club 57 and its only for 4 years after which you will forget all about what the fucking building was made of.

E-Dog

Long Member
HSC
Hey Ya'll I just got into mechanical/mechatronic engineering at UTS so yay! no worries in the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)