• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

I need to read something. (1 Viewer)

sydchick

HSC
N/A
Someone give me suggestions, please.

I really want to read Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead or some Raymond Carver or William S. Burroughs but I don't know if I can hack it or not.

I read quite a bit but I don't know if these are outta my league.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
i'm working my way through the top 100 from the bookshop (dymocks? maybe angus and robertson). I'm currently on Raymond Feists "Magician", and surprisingly I'm enjoying it immensely. (although given that its a best seller I guess its not that surprising. )

Maybe try to find a similar list and tick them off - millions of people can't be wrong (generally speaking...)

astroe

HSC
I wouldn't see why any books would be out of anyone's 'league'.
They're written in English aren't they?

astroe

HSC
But it's all down to personal preference. :p
I'm sure there are people who loved War and Peace, albeit a small minority. HAHA.

I mean I understand where you're coming from, reading Stoker's 'Dracula' and Shelly's 'Frankenstein' almost killed me. Don't read those.

Oh, I know, something moderately short and easy, Salinger's 'The Catcher in the Rye'.

pman

Banned
HSC
war and peace is utter rubbish as is to kill a mocking bird....Magician is awesome..angus and robertson do have a great list though I dislike obernewton (but love the rest of the series)

For a really good read, try douglas adams "the hitchikers guide to the Galaxy" trilogy, 6 very good, very amusing books there

sydchick

HSC
N/A
This gives me nothing concerning what I orginally posted.

Have any of you read: Plath, William S. Burroughs, Ayn Rand, Raymond Carver, Hunter S. Thompson.

And, sorry, but I hate all fantasy and sci-fi.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
This gives me nothing concerning what I orginally posted.

Have any of you read: Plath, William S. Burroughs, Ayn Rand, Raymond Carver, Hunter S. Thompson.

And, sorry, but I hate all fantasy and sci-fi.
You don't need extreme planning to read a book. Start reading; if you find your not enjoying it or you don't understand either plow through or put it down.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If you haven't read Orwell, then that's definitely the way to go. 1984 and Animal Farm are two of the best books I've read.

sydchick

HSC
N/A
I love Orwell. Nineteen Eighty Four would probably have to be my favourite book ever. Nothing beats it.

Any suggestions, ashie and absolutezero?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
plath and thompson are good

carver is boring

rand is verbose

_trickster_

Currently High
HSC
Frankenstein i thought was pretty easy to get into actually

and try Cormac McCarthy or Matthew reily if youre daring

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Any suggestions, ashie and absolutezero?
Clockwork Orange would be another good one, though I assume the impact is lessened if you've seen the film. It's currently on my to read list. The Picture Of Dorian Gray would be another good one to check out.

I didn't mind Frankenstein, though I felt it dragged in places...

HSC
Uni Grad
Ah yes, I remember the Picture of Dorian Gray 1945(iirc) movie. I thought it was quite good however haven't managed to check out the book yet by Oscar Wild (iirc again). Though I can only imagine it is also pretty good.

Frankenstein really shitted me with the repetition of 'benevolent', 'countenance', 'abhor' and some others that just felt like she was spamming me. The story was a good one but yeh, quite the dragger.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
'benevolent', 'countenance', 'abhor'
lol. I picked up on 'benevolent' when I was reading it. The others I think I missed.

Ah yes, I remember the Picture of Dorian Gray 1945(iirc) movie. I thought it was quite good however haven't managed to check out the book yet by Oscar Wild (iirc again). Though I can only imagine it is also pretty good.
Ah yes, I remember the Picture of Dorian Gray 1945(iirc) movie. I thought it was quite good however haven't managed to check out the book yet by Oscar Wild (iirc again). Though I can only imagine it is also pretty good. [/quote]

There's a new movie of it to come out soon; best to get in before it coems out.

klaris

HSC
The Picture of Dorian Gray would have to be one of the most beautifully written books I have ever read.

And I've read a lot of books. Highly recommended.

I was hooked from the first word. Literally.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
I read "Roots" can't remember who it was by... Alex someone? Anyway, pretty interesting, its about a slaves journey from africa to America to eventual freedom - but its pretty heavy going in parts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)