I need to read something. (1 Viewer)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
We've done Plath's poems in enx1, though I haven't read her novel, 'The Bell Jar'. Apparently some schools read it in year ten? It's supposed to be like The Catcher in the Rye. A word of warning though, Plath is a maniac. Her poetry provokes nightmares and increases enx1 student suicide rates. Not sure about the novel though, give it a go.
I'm sorry but what the hell? Do you have anything to back that up with, otherwise it sounds like a load of bullshit.

The Bell Jar is interesting. It was a "thing" to read that at my school in about year 10 or 11. I think it's well written but the many negative stereotypes of Sylvia seem to add a prejudice to her work that I don't think is quite fair to her.

Oh and someone mentioned "We Need to Talk About Kevin". I totally second that. Loved it.

sydchick

HSC
N/A
Tulipa, seeing as your the Reading Room mod, do you have any suggestions? I want something along the lines of: 1950s 'The Naked Lunch' etc, etc, "genre" if you know what I mean.

Actually, I just want to read an excellent book written in the 50s by an American author.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Truman Capote
For sure.

In Cold Blood or any of his short story collections. Just remember to take everything he says with a grain of salt.

And Breakfast at Tiffany's isn't bad. It's just not one of my favorites. Other Voices, Other Rooms and Music for Chameleons are amazing though. But keep in mind that I have a bit of a thing for short stories.

J.D Salinger's Nine Stories (or For Esmé - with Love and Squalor, and Other Stories as I think it's published here) is also a fabulous collection.

Last edited:

sydchick

HSC
N/A
Maybe 'Music for Chameleons' too? I have been tempted to buy and read this book but I am yet to do it.

Is it a good read? Because I've only read 'Miriam' by Capote but I really loved that short story, so I am wondering if this is similar?

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
For sure.

In Cold Blood or any of his short story collections. Just remember to take everything he says with a grain of salt.

And Breakfast at Tiffany's isn't bad. It's just not one of my favorites. Other Voices, Other Rooms and Music for Chameleons are amazing though. But keep in mind that I have a bit of a thing for short stories.

J.D Salinger's Nine Stories (or For Esmé - with Love and Squalor, and Other Stories as I think it's published here) is also a fabulous collection.
Oh god yes.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Maybe 'Music for Chameleons' too? I have been tempted to buy and read this book but I am yet to do it.

Is it a good read? Because I've only read 'Miriam' by Capote but I really loved that short story, so I am wondering if this is similar?
I edited my post to include it :p but if you liked Miriam then read the rest of his shorts. Both collections are really good though I don't know if Other Voices, Other Rooms is as popular as Music for Chameleons. I liked his novels enough but I really think Capote did best in short story form.

And I saw that someone recommend Middlesex by Eugenides earlier. If you haven't yet, you must read it. One of my all time favorite books and I think based on what you like and what you're looking for that you'll enjoy it.

sydchick

HSC
N/A
For sure.

Okay. I've always thought Salinger was a bit overrated. Or am I being completely ignorant and missing something?
But, then again, I've only ever ready The Catcher in the Rye.
And that was a few years back. I was fifteen, I think. I was most likely young and stupid and didn't completely get it.

I edited my post to include it :p but if you liked Miriam then read the rest of his shorts. Both collections are really good though I don't know if Other Voices, Other Rooms is as popular as Music for Chameleons. I liked his novels enough but I really think Capote did best in short story form.

And I saw that someone recommend Middlesex by Eugenides earlier. If you haven't yet, you must read it. One of my all time favorite books and I think based on what you like and what you're looking for that you'll enjoy it.
I'll definitely read Music for Chameleons. I've always had a thing for Capote after Miriam so I'd say I would really enjoy that.

Middlesex. Is that written by the same author of the Virgin Suicides? I always link them together for some reason. But I'll read that too.

I think I'll spend my entire day doing nothing but reading and drinking coffee and putting my stereo on full.

:)

boganxcore

HSC
read crime & punishment by dostoyevsky if you're up for some really rewarding literature, warning most people find it really dry as well. personally i loved it

on the road by jack kerouac is awesome as well, try that. similar-ish to wil s burroughs seeing as they were all about the beat

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Middlesex and Virgin Suicides are both written by Jeffrey Eugenides.

Both are amazing but I tend to find Virgin Suicides to be a tad overrated (thanks to the movie adaptation). Middlesex is definitely his masterpiece in my mind and it was the one that won the Pulitzer after all :p

Give Salinger another go but read his short stories instead of Catcher in the Rye again. Then maybe try his other novel Franny and Zooey if you like Nine Stories.

sydchick

HSC
N/A
I'll read some Salinger.

I also want to give Virgin Suicides a go because I've haven't heard the hype (surprisingly) or watched the movie.

And definitely reading Middlesex. I need to find a copy. Now.

Thank God I have some excellent books to read instead of the usual YA shit.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
For sure.

haha sarah i hated breakfast at tiffany's. it wasn't that it was badly written or anything, i just hated almost every character in it and couldn't care less about what happened to any of them.

as for you sydchick i have always wanted to read the naked lunch but i get frustrated very easily at not understanding what's going on so i never bothered with it. as for hunter s. i have only read fear and loathing and i enjoyed that.

i have read both middlesex and virgin suicides and as sarah already mentioned, middlesex is absolutely brilliant so definitely grab a copy. also, 100 years of solitude by gabriel garcia marquez is fantastic, though you may have to keep a notepad handy because the characters are all named after each other down the generations and it can get a bit confusing.

perhaps try some a.s. byatt too? possession is always a good place to start and i am just starting her new book, i'll let you know how that goes once i have finished it.

if i think of anything else i'll post it up

showy

HSC
I'm sorry but what the hell? Do you have anything to back that up with, otherwise it sounds like a load of bullshit.
Yes actually, I do. Plath had extreme bipolar disorder, was hospitalized and recieved shock therapy multiple times throughout her life. She unsuccessfully attempted suicide by crawling beneath her house when she was twenty- as she records in her poem Lady Lazarus-

'The second time I meant
To last it out and not come back at all.
I rocked shut.
As a seashell.
They had to call and call
And pick the worms off me like sticky pearls.'

She eventually commit suicide in her house with her two children in the adjoining room, by placing her head in a gas oven.

In her poem Fever 103, she describes herself as 'a pure acetylene virgin' and 'my selves dissolving, old whore petticoats'.

Evidence enough?

By maniac I mean very mentally unstable- she can definitely be described as 'manic' in her poems. The comment on suicide rates is a joke, I actually read someone else make that comment on another bos forum and found it funny.

However I have not read The Bell Jar, so these comments may not be applicable, as I've already said.

If you haven't studied her poems in depth this might seem like a far cry, but kids that have will understand.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
face.palm.

Yes. I have studied her before. I know all that. I guess you missed my use of bolding though. What I meant was, what do you have to back up this claim:
Her poetry provokes nightmares and increases enx1 student suicide rates.
And it's a very funny joke. If by funny you mean juvenile and moronic.

sydchick

HSC
N/A
Don't even try, showy.

I've been reading Tulipa's posts for quite a while (nothing stalkerish just simple curiosity) and she is pure genius when it comes to all things literature and is also a junior editor (yes? god, now i do sound like a fucking stalker) for some bigwig company.

But, seriously, don't try be some 17 year old hot shit who tries telling the 21 year old university student about Plath.

Fail.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon

It's amazing. I loved it. Plus, the style and language used make it really easy to read.

sydchick

HSC
N/A
I've read it.

I love it also. Five red cars = super good day, haha.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I've read it.

I love it also. Five red cars = super good day, haha.
I think it's probably one of the few books I can pretty much pick up at anytime and really enjoy reading.

sombespice

HSC
I am probably a bit of a cliche, but I adored Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, and if you haven't read Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides I would have to strongly recommend you do.
Oh yes. I read Lolita recently and it was whimsical and wonderful. It almost didn't seem so perverse because the prose was so playful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)