I think I’m gonna fail my standard maths exam tomorrow (1 Viewer)

cloud_berry

HSC
I bet i could have done decently if i‘d studied today but i was so stressed i ended up scrolling all day through social media lol. It’s worth like 30% of our mark which is gonna be the same as our trial… i sat down to study for like 3 times today but couldn’t because i kept getting distracted : (

i studied for like 2-3 hours every few days a week before the exam, around 8 hours on Saturday and 6 on sunday but there were so many topics i tried to cram so my brain feels like soup rn and i dunno if I’ll be able to recall anything in the exam.

well I’ll let you guys know how it went if i remember. Hopefully the questions aren’t too hard
i still technically have a few hours to study but my head feels all fuzzy and idk how to motivate myself again..

cloud_berry

HSC
have a look at thsc standard math exams so you have an idea of what questions you'll be getting

sleep well tho, dont stay up too late otherwise even if you decide to study the whole night, your brain might turn to soup in your exam tomorrow

good luck!
Thanks :) i think I’ll try doing some questions from the trial papers our maths teacher posted

Leadmen4y

HSC
Non-linear relationships, annuities, bivariate data analysis, simultaneous linear equations, and non-right angled trigonometry
I don't do standard myself but here's my advice:
  • Sleep early, don't stay up, good sleep is vital for doing well in any exams.
  • Practice questions from EVERY TOPIC, pick the hardest ones you could find to identify your strengths and weaknesses, then allocate most of your time to your weaknesses.
  • Understand no matter the stake of the test, it doesn't define you in any way, failing a test doesn't mean the end of the world. Not saying it doesn't matter, but putting too much stress to do well will impoverish your performance in the exam rather than doing any good.
  • Start with the easy questions that you know to boost your confidence, then work your way through, don't linger on questions you don't know, skip them and come back later.
That's about all I could think of off my head, hope it helped. Also time management is very important, cramming is a horrible strategy, better to put in consistent efforts every day no matter what. Not much you could do about that now, but in the near future implement a general plan instead of going with whenever your assessments are due.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Leadmen4y summed it up pretty nicely.

To OP, I just wanted to say that what you mentioned in your original post should be seen as a lesson and a motive for you to be organised and ready to study hard for your upcoming trial exam. Your performance in your trial exam can be a good indicator of how well you can perform in your HSC exam and which areas (if any) you will need to work on prior to the HSC exam.

Good luck with your exam tomorrow! :D

cloud_berry

HSC
I don't do standard myself but here's my advice:
  • Sleep early, don't stay up, good sleep is vital for doing well in any exams.
  • Practice questions from EVERY TOPIC, pick the hardest ones you could find to identify your strengths and weaknesses, then allocate most of your time to your weaknesses.
  • Understand no matter the stake of the test, it doesn't define you in any way, failing a test doesn't mean the end of the world. Not saying it doesn't matter, but putting too much stress to do well will impoverish your performance in the exam rather than doing any good.
  • Start with the easy questions that you know to boost your confidence, then work your way through, don't linger on questions you don't know, skip them and come back later.
That's about all I could think of off my head, hope it helped. Also time management is very important, cramming is a horrible strategy, better to put in consistent efforts every day no matter what. Not much you could do about that now, but in the near future implement a general plan instead of going with whenever your assessments are due.
Thanks :) i tend to procrastinate on studying maths since its my least favourite subject but i think i need to just motivate myself to do half an hour daily at least, its not much but maybe it’ll help with the procrastinating

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
Thanks :) i tend to procrastinate on studying maths since its my least favourite subject but i think i need to just motivate myself to do half an hour daily at least, its not much but maybe it’ll help with the procrastinating
yeah should be fine since topics can be rote-learned/plug and chugged unlike the higher levels

ez clap

cloud_berry

HSC
Leadmen4y summed it up pretty nicely.

To OP, I just wanted to say that what you mentioned in your original post should be seen as a lesson and a motive for you to be organised and ready to study hard for your upcoming trial exam. Your performance in your trial exam can be a good indicator of how well you can perform in your HSC exam and which areas (if any) you will need to work on prior to the HSC exam.

Good luck with your exam tomorrow! :D
Thank you :) not sure if i can be organised lol but i will definitely try study hard, and start much earlier

cloud_berry

HSC
Update: I tried to do some questions from a trial exam, i can sorta recall the info but I’m very confused on the trigonometry stuff even after watching videos, especially how to find the side/angle and area in a non right angle triangle so if anyone has an explanation on that it’d be much appreciated
I’m also somewhat confused on putting equations into the y=mx+b formula

for bivariate data analysis, i just want to make sure when finding the least squares line of best fit you can do Bx + A on the Casio calculator right? Because i don’t know if i‘ll remember the other formula

as for the other topics, i guess i get the basic idea although I’m pretty slow, might be because I’m tired atm

cossine

HSC
Update: I tried to do some questions from a trial exam, i can sorta recall the info but I’m very confused on the trigonometry stuff even after watching videos, especially how to find the side/angle and area in a non right angle triangle.
Area of non-right angle triangle is 1/2(a*b)sin(theta) when triangle is in form SAS.

If triangle is in form SSS or SAS use the cosine rule to find an angle or side.

If triangle is in the form SSA or AAS use the sine rule.

If you know basic algebraic manipulation you should be good for trigonometry.

given a/b = c/d make "b" the subject

Since you have not specified what issue you are having bit hard to address any issue.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
honestly im thinking i might get like 50%-60% lol.. im screwed if it's that bad. but if im super super lucky maybe i'll manage to just hit 70%.
Congrats on finishing your exam! No matter the result, you must forget about this exam and your focus should now shift to your trial exam. A good result in trials can be a very good indicator of how well you can perform in the HSC exam. Good luck! :D

cloud_berry

HSC
Congrats on finishing your exam! No matter the result, you must forget about this exam and your focus should now shift to your trial exam. A good result in trials can be a very good indicator of how well you can perform in the HSC exam. Good luck! :D

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
honestly im thinking i might get like 50%-60% lol.. im screwed if it's that bad. but if im super super lucky maybe i'll manage to just hit 70%.
50% to 60% is good if everyone gets 30

70% is screwed if everyone gets 85

but either way reap during the trial exams

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)