If prohibited into MX2, what actions could I take? (1 Viewer)

bawd

HSC
Argh. Up late studying for my Mathematics Extension 1 Exam tomorrow (or should I say, today), and yes, it means I have been procrastinating for the entire 48 hours which was supposed to be my study time. If you've read my previous threads, you'll know that I'm trying to get at least 80% in my MX1 exam, and right now it looks like I'm bordering on just passing (50% is my best bet). Not complaining BTW, I know it's my fault for being such a lazy ass when it comes to Maths. :p

Again, you'll also know that I desperately want to get into MX2 (not important units wise if I don't get into it because I'll have 12 units, but I really do want to). The invitation mark to get into MX2 is 80%+, probation (try it for one term, get kicked out if you suck) is 70%. My last assessment was worth 50% of the final year mark, and I got 60-something. As you can see, I need at least 80% in this test just fall into the probation range.

My teacher informed me that it was an absolute no if your final year mark fell below 70% (it's reasonable, I know), but another teacher said the exact same thing about a few of my friends in Year 10. He did not expect them to even get near a Band 6 in the SC, and was completely against them going into Extension 1 Mathematics. Well, they achieved the exact opposite of his expectations, and now they are amongst the top students in the 2/3 unit course. Although the year's assessment mark plays some role in estimating how well the student will perform in the next year, it is not necessarily the sole determinant. I personally wasn't expecting a Band 6 in the SC for Mathematics, either. (I'd been getting around 60% - 90% for the entire year, constantly fluctuating from one high to another low.)

Anyway, my point is if I fall beneath the 70% range and I am prohibited from the course, what can I do? Are there any means of appeal and how long do they usually take? I don't want to be wasting time doing paperwork when I could be utilising that time to prove that I can do MX2. I've heard some BOSers who have even taken it all the way to the Board of Studies?

PS: Now, you may be thinking (or not), "If you wanted to get into MX2 so badly, you should have done well in your first assessment and you wouldn't have to be worrying about failing this one. Therefore, you don't deserve to do MX2, and you'd probably fail anyway since you can't even scrape past 70% in MX1, so STFU...etc etc." Please note, that I did not conclude that I wanted to do MX2 until about a month ago.

HSC
iirc technically they can't just not allow you to do the course but just strongly advise against it. don't know what you could do if you got "rejected" as such but i'm sure there's some method of appeal (like in ext hist at our school)

p.s. if all else fails you can always do ext 2 english you farking all-rounder showoff

Last edited:
HSC
well you know if you really wanted to do MX2 you shouldnt be cramming the night before for your MX1 yearly unless you can get >70% with no study

but yeah if they say no, i guess you could beg??

youngminii

Banned
HSC
bawd said:
Argh. Up late studying for my Mathematics Extension 1 Exam tomorrow (or should I say, today), and yes, it means I have been procrastinating for the entire 48 hours which was supposed to be my study time. If you've read my previous threads, you'll know that I'm trying to get at least 80% in my MX1 exam, and right now it looks like I'm bordering on just passing (50% is my best bet). Not complaining BTW, I know it's my fault for being such a lazy ass when it comes to Maths. :p

Again, you'll also know that I desperately want to get into MX2 (not important units wise if I don't get into it because I'll have 12 units, but I really do want to). The invitation mark to get into MX2 is 80%+, probation (try it for one term, get kicked out if you suck) is 70%. My last assessment was worth 50% of the final year mark, and I got 60-something. As you can see, I need at least 80% in this test just fall into the probation range.

My teacher informed me that it was an absolute no if your final year mark fell below 70% (it's reasonable, I know), but another teacher said the exact same thing about a few of my friends in Year 10. He did not expect them to even get near a Band 6 in the SC, and was completely against them going into Extension 1 Mathematics. Well, they achieved the exact opposite of his expectations, and now they are amongst the top students in the 2/3 unit course. Although the year's assessment mark plays some role in estimating how well the student will perform in the next year, it is not necessarily the sole determinant. I personally wasn't expecting a Band 6 in the SC for Mathematics, either. (I'd been getting around 60% - 90% for the entire year, constantly fluctuating from one high to another low.)

Anyway, my point is if I fall beneath the 70% range and I am prohibited from the course, what can I do? Are there any means of appeal and how long do they usually take? I don't want to be wasting time doing paperwork when I could be utilising that time to prove that I can do MX2. I've heard some BOSers who have even taken it all the way to the Board of Studies?

PS: Now, you may be thinking (or not), "If you wanted to get into MX2 so badly, you should have done well in your first assessment and you wouldn't have to be worrying about failing this one. Therefore, you don't deserve to do MX2, and you'd probably fail anyway since you can't even scrape past 70% in MX1, so STFU...etc etc." Please note, that I did not conclude that I wanted to do MX2 until about a month ago.
Exactly the same as my position
Except in my school, our 'cutoff' is rank based, not % based
Top 30 out of 90 get into MX2
My rank at the moment is like.. 60
I'm gonna have to do darn well.. My test is also today =)
Good luck

HSC
or you could maybe do it via correspondance if they wont budge into letting you in??
not sure bout this though

youngminii

Banned
HSC
tacogym27101990 said:
or you could maybe do it via correspondance if they wont budge into letting you in??
not sure bout this though
What is correspondance?

bawd

HSC
youngminii said:
What is correspondance?
Basically, you do it outside of class, via phone, mail, whatever medium suits you. I don't see the point in doing it via correspondence unless there is conflict with lines. If you can do it in school, do it in school.

And to tacogym - Have you read my last paragraph? I know I shouldn't be cramming, but it's a consequence of being an absolute slob. I let my study slip for one day, and this is what happens lol. And no, I cannot possible get over 70% without study combined with not paying attention in class until the start of Series topic. Too bad series isn't in the MX1 test for us.

bawd

HSC
Groucho Marxist said:
iirc technically they can't just not allow you to do the course but just strongly advise against it. don't know what you could do if you got "rejected" as such but i'm sure there's some method of appeal (like in ext hist at our school)

p.s. if all else fails you can always do ext 2 english you farking all-rounder showoff
Shut up. Not like you can say much, aren't you doing Extension History and Extension 2 English?

youngminii

Banned
HSC
bawd said:
Basically, you do it outside of class, via phone, mail, whatever medium suits you. I don't see the point in doing it via correspondence unless there is conflict with lines. If you can do it in school, do it in school.

And to tacogym - Have you read my last paragraph? I know I shouldn't be cramming, but it's a consequence of being an absolute slob. I let my study slip for one day, and this is what happens lol. And no, I cannot possible get over 70% without study combined with not paying attention in class until the start of Series topic. Too bad series isn't in the MX1 test for us.
Qft.

Although I started paying attention at the start of Calculus, which was a bonus
I'm really, really, really bad at trig
I'm spending 70% of my last revision time (the next 4 hours) on trig

Aplus

HSC
N/A
If you really wanted to take up Mathematics Extension 2, I'm sure that you would not be cramming at like 1 AM in the morning for last minute study. Doing Mathematics Extension 2 requires discipline and a passion for Mathematics, which, from your post, you do not particularly display.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Where do people get this idea that schools can't 'technically' stop someone from doing a course from? Schools aren't even obliged to offer the course, so I can't see what would stop them from restricting who they accept as students for that course. Unless they're a public school, in which case there would be certain DET internal policies they have to follow, I'm pretty sure the teacher/principal/person responsible can set a standard arbitrarily.

bawd

HSC
Aplus said:
If you really wanted to take up Mathematics Extension 2, I'm sure that you would not be cramming at like 1 AM in the morning for last minute study. Doing Mathematics Extension 2 requires discipline and a passion for Mathematics, which, from your post, you do not particularly display.
Don't speak in such a condescending manner. You don't know me very well at all.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Anyway, you're basically bludging/procrastinating in Extension 1 Preliminary Mathematics. How will you have the discipline for Mathematics Extension 2, which will take up like 40% of your time?

bawd

HSC
Aplus said:
Anyway, you're basically bludging/procrastinating in Extension 1 Preliminary Mathematics. How will you have the discipline for Mathematics Extension 2, which will take up like 40% of your time?
Yeah, I guess I do deserve a bit of a smack on the head for being lazy. But nonetheless, I'm just asking what actions I could take if not allowed into the course.

HSC
youngminii said:
Qft.

Although I started paying attention at the start of Calculus, which was a bonus
I'm really, really, really bad at trig
I'm spending 70% of my last revision time (the next 4 hours) on trig
id suggest you get your trig up to scratch if you wanna do 4 unit
its literally in every topic

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Getting 40-50% in MX2 exams is pretty easy, passing the 60-70% mark is the problem.

MX2 isn't that harder from 3unit work, it's jsut that you need to develop a critical way of thinking mathematically and this will get you through.

They technically can't restrict you from doing a subject, but keep persisting - they'll crack.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
tacogym27101990 said:
id suggest you get your trig up to scratch if you wanna do 4 unit
its literally in every topic
trig and integration skills and algebraic skills need to be up to scratch as well.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bawd said:
Yeah, I guess I do deserve a bit of a smack on the head for being lazy. But nonetheless, I'm just asking what actions I could take if not allowed into the course.
Just let it go, if you are not prepared to work hard.

telekenixis

HSC
bawd said:
I personally wasn't expecting a Band 6 in the SC for Mathematics, either. (I'd been getting around 60% - 90% for the entire year, constantly fluctuating from one high to another low.)
I got a Band 6 with 47% in my half yearly and 74% in my yearly... SC isn't sufficient enough to determine your mathematics skills because it is for all people, even 5.2/5.1 [general/intermediate] year 10 students... As expected, your current marks are more reflecting your actual grade marks (of year 10) rather than your 'unexpected' SC mark...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)