If they ask ''two or more related texts''... (1 Viewer)

Cheesecake_a

HSC
If the BOS does this for section one, I don't really know if I have a back up, I mean i would have to find one that I know pretty well... but should I spend much time on this?

And for Paper two of English adv, in conflicting perspectives they can ask for your prescribed text and TWO other related texts... I mean, would this mean I should find an extra article or something for this as well?

Because I don't know how much time I should spend on extra texts...

One more question, for Paper One english in creative writing, is it best I go through some different formats of writing eg speeches, articles etc? Because I am afraid they may ask something like this, though it is rare, it could happen :(

phillmacrack

HSC
I'm using 1 ORT for belonging (rabbit proof fence) and on the exam if it ask you for 2, I'm going to use the stimulus as a back up.... it worked for me in the trials.

Alkanes

HSC
You gotta prepare for the worst. You don't know what they will throw at you. And from recent years, I've only seen them ask atleast 1. So you shouldn't be too worried.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
I'm using 1 ORT for belonging (rabbit proof fence) and on the exam if it ask you for 2, I'm going to use the stimulus as a back up.... it worked for me in the trials.

Is it frowned upon to use the stimulus?

Cheesecake_a

HSC
You gotta prepare for the worst. You don't know what they will throw at you. And from recent years, I've only seen them ask atleast 1. So you shouldn't be too worried.
I am trying to not be too worried, but you know, it could happen...

Alkanes

HSC
I am trying to not be too worried, but you know, it could happen...
If it happens to be 2 related texts. Do the unimaginable. Make up one RT on the spot lol. I've heard numerous of people doing this from past years.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
If it happens to be 2 related texts. Do the unimaginable. Make up one RT on the spot lol. I've heard numerous of people doing this from past years.
But I am sure they would search that up if it sound unfamiliar?

Alkanes

HSC
Obviously not a good outcome if that happens right?

So my best bet is just prepare another related text. Not worth risking it.

deswa1

HSC
They can't search it up. Markers can't look up anything of that sort in any examination marking I'm pretty sure. They wouldn't have heard of most related texts- you'd get away with it easy. The point is though- will your analysis be convincing and detailed?

Cheesecake_a

HSC
They can't search it up. Markers can't look up anything of that sort in any examination marking I'm pretty sure. They wouldn't have heard of most related texts- you'd get away with it easy. The point is though- will your analysis be convincing and detailed?
I heard markers often have computers with them (because not all markers know everything) and search for things that sound unfamiliar to clarify. Well, I have heard this for Modern History, since many make up Historians. But my other question, is it frowned upon if one uses the stimulus?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Even if they have computers, search your related text and find nothing, they can't penalise you because your text may not necessarily be on the internet.

Alkanes

HSC
This lol. Means you gotta write good b.s

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I heard markers often have computers with them (because not all markers know everything) and search for things that sound unfamiliar to clarify. Well, I have heard this for Modern History, since many make up Historians. But my other question, is it frowned upon if one uses the stimulus?
I would imagine so.

The stimulus doesn't lend itself to a strong analysis because it's so short.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Even if they have computers, search your related text and find nothing, they can't penalise you because your text may not necessarily be on the internet.
True... but people actually make their related up? Really? Then that means many would get away with it...

Cheesecake_a

HSC
I would imagine so.

The stimulus doesn't lend itself to a strong analysis because it's so short.
Yeah that is true. But I mean there is enough I think, because some stimulus is a page and a bit. But then again, it might look as if the student does not do wide reading etc...

If this question does arise, should there be equal amounts of all three texts? Because if you have two related texts, then you spend less time analysing all in a lot of detail?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Making up historians is so much riskier than making up texts. Good history teachers know all the good relevant historians.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Making up historians is so much riskier than making up texts. Good history teachers know all the good relevant historians.
Yes.

I know there are subjects that are quite easy to get away with, such as Society and Culture, where the PIP component can be quite simple to make up people in your secondary research such as people you supposedly ''interviewed'' etc.

I just thought English was quite the same in terms of risk factor like History, but I guess it is easy to get away with. I am guessing people may make up some foreign text that no one has heard about? And it is true not all texts would be online, but if there is not even a trace of a title at least or something, wouldn't that be suspicious?

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Btw is using another prescribed text from another module frowned upon? Like if I used The Great Gatsby for instance?

deswa1

HSC
Btw is using another prescribed text from another module frowned upon? Like if I used The Great Gatsby for instance?
Yes. Pretty sure its not allowed. If it is allowed, you would defs get owned for it. That goes for using Ext. 1 texts and standard texts in advanced as well

Alkanes

HSC
You could use your belonging related text for module c and vice versa.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)