If you are in year 11, read this first. (1 Viewer)

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
Currently ranked 1st in both 2U and Ext Maths, but I'm still unsure whether or not to pick up 4U. Just out of curiosity, which is more beneficial for a 4U student: private or group tutor? I know for very capable students, no tutoring is required at all, but I'm just wondering. :eek:

SoulSlayer

HSC
Faytle said:
Currently ranked 1st in both 2U and Ext Maths, but I'm still unsure whether or not to pick up 4U. Just out of curiosity, which is more beneficial for a 4U student: private or group tutor? I know for very capable students, no tutoring is required at all, but I'm just wondering. :eek:
I do think here that you should at least try out extension 2 maths in year 12, at least then you have the option of continuing on if you are capable of it or dropping down if you are not, rather than having no option at all :)

dzp830

HSC
Please reply to me anyone.

Im really thinking about doing extension 2 maths next year, my ranking in my school for ext 1 is 20/85 mark of 74/100 i don't know if i am quiet capable, and please ive been trying to find out what topics are there in ext 2 so please reply to me or send me a private message

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The topics in Extension 2 are:
- Graphs
- Complex Numbers
- Conics
- Integration
- Volumes
- Mechanics
- Polynomials
- Harder 3 Unit Topics

GRAPHS - just an extension of graphs you see in Extension 1. It involves learning how to graph random and unusual functions and what changes to the graphs are made if we apply a function like g(x) on the original function f(x) such that we get g(f(x))

COMPLEX NUMBERS - involves arithmetic involving the square roots of negative numbers. It also involves solving polynomial equations using real and "imaginary" numbers as well as geometrical interpretations such as vector problems

CONICS - an extension of the parabola/parametrics in Extension 1. In this topic the focus lies on Ellipses and Hyperbolae as well as their properties and equations

INTEGRATION - includes harder level Extension 1 integration as well as lots of new methods in helping to evaluate integrals

VOLUMES - extends from Extension 1 volumes, but is not constrained to volumes of revolution. It involves finding and deriving the formulae for the volumes of very unusual solids using a selection of different methods

MECHANICS - goes well beyond Applications of Calculus to the Physical World. It involves any type of motion other than SHM and projectile motion as well as resisted motion and circular motion (a nasty topic if you don't understand the physics behind the derivations of formulae)

POLYNOMIALS - very similar to Extension 1 polynomials, but includes complex numbers and complex polynomials

HARDER 3 UNIT TOPICS - speaks for itself, some new material such as induction and inequalities is included but most of the time it's all about random challenging questions which extend well beyond the difficulty and rigour of the Extension 1 course to test your mathematical skill in unfamiliar situations

Last edited:

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Do you get chosed to do 4U maths or can you apply or something, i.e. do you need teachers aprovel?

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I don't really have all of the background knowledge/skills learnt in 3U, so I', obviously going to try to catch up, althoghu do you think its unrealistic for me to attempt 4U? I'm certianly willing to put in the work.

getridofns

Banned
HSC
yes. Anyone who likes maths and can put in the effort can do it. Its not as difficult as people say. Only one topic is difficult.

Also buy a good maths book, so you can work by yourself and learn more.

But I should advise you to catch up in 3 unit. You got the big holidays coming up. Just work on maths and finish 3 unit and 2 unit.

p.s. someone advised me to study maths in holidays. i didnt do it and i regret. and someone advised the person who advised me and a person advised him who advised him who advised him who advised him and he didnt do it as well.

So i doubt if u will do it, but i will advise u to do it

goodluck cya and work hard especially on maths!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

leisl1990

HSC
im in yr11 and my school's uai result ranks like around 200 in the state,

now im doing quite well in both 2u and 3u.
However, math wasnt really a strong subject in my school, less than 20 ppl's doing 2u.

Though i came 1st in all assessment task, infact i found the exam and assessment task i did in 3u and 4u was so easy, most questions came straight from the example we did in class.

should i do 4u next yr, if so, i would have to join a combined class in a school closeby.

CRANK-SHAFT

i'm on urPC,pwning n00bs
HSC
Raginsheep said:
If your the only one doing ext2 maths at your school it just means that your moderated mark, or the one the school is supposed gives you is equal to your exam mark.
Thats exactly the situation I am in and I hate it as the teacher sorta feels I am good enough but cant be bothered putting up more classes on the timetable. We looked through both of our timetables and arranged classes for 3u (i used to do before school HELL!) and i quietly told him that I want to do 4u and try harder.

He goes- are you serious I cant teaach you all day!- I only have about 2-3 lessons on 3u and am falling behind and thus want more periods. It is a shame because I am having to bust my guts trying to get like 80+% and this guy cant be bothered!

Too bad I am too cheap to go to a good school....someone help mate- I need some inspiration....it all seems too unfair! :(

vasuu91

HSC
guys please help me out here.
i started doing 4 u this term.....i get complex numbers but then our teacher gave us a sheet to do on graphing..without even starting that topic!!!!
couldnt do it but some of the other kids (theres 7 more) could !! that just completely freaked me out coz i was 2nd in 3 u and 1st in 2u !!!! so may be 4 u isnt my thing???
but then i dont do any science...i do ahistory, legal, business and adv. eng...so 4 u is probably good for my scaling n stuff.......i need a uai of more than 90!!!!--(i go to a non selective pvt....we're like 80th in the state or smthng!!)
should i go back to just 3 u and do really well at it or should i stick with 4u???(think in terms f uai!!)
i ve always liked maths....but i keep putting off all my maths work since i started 4u...liek i do it but dont look forward to it as much as i did earlier.....i m scared 4u may make start to hate maths!!!!!( part of that could be erly mornings....seriously guys i have it monday mornings!!!!)
ALSO, all the other kids do physics in my class....so would they have an adavnatge over me in mechanics??????
AND...could anyone suggest a good book for 4u...one that explains and has good questions....thanx....:worried:

jewoneimon

HSC
jellibelli said:
im in yr 11 doin 4u early. i derno how im goin tho. wats with the scaling? if i get bout 85 4 raw mark is that ok?
dude i hear 50% of people doing hsc 4u don't finish half the test. getting 85% means u are a MACHINE at maths

jewoneimon

HSC
vasuu91 said:
i started doing 4 u this term.....i get complex numbers but then our teacher gave us a sheet to do on graphing..without even starting that topic!!!!
couldnt do it but some of the other kids (theres 7 more) could !! that just completely freaked me out coz i was 2nd in 3 u and 1st in 2u !!!! so may be 4 u isnt my thing???
but then i dont do any science...i do ahistory, legal, business and adv. eng...so 4 u is probably good for my scaling n stuff.......i need a uai of more than 90!!!!--(i go to a non selective pvt....we're like 80th in the state or smthng!!)
should i go back to just 3 u and do really well at it or should i stick with 4u???(think in terms f uai!!)
i ve always liked maths....but i keep putting off all my maths work since i started 4u...liek i do it but dont look forward to it as much as i did earlier.....i m scared 4u may make start to hate maths!!!!!( part of that could be erly mornings....seriously guys i have it monday mornings!!!!)
ALSO, all the other kids do physics in my class....so would they have an adavnatge over me in mechanics??????
AND...could anyone suggest a good book for 4u...one that explains and has good questions....thanx....:worried:
if ur going to a selective school ur teacher probably just did that thinkin everyone just learnt the jist of it at tutoring or something. they did that at my school.

ecstasylove

HSC
kurt.physics said:
Do you get chosed to do 4U maths or can you apply or something, i.e. do you need teachers aprovel?
at my school you apply and then the head of department looks at all your past marks to determine whether you're good enough for 4u or not. i think this varies with schools, just ask your teacher, they'd be able to tell you.

ecstasylove

HSC
vasuu91 said:
i did my hsc this year and we got sprung with a graphs test before we started the topic too. dont worry if some kids can do it and you cant, graphs is an easy enough topic to learn once you grasp the concept.

i can tell you that nobody in my class got mechanics apart from people who did physics. they definitely have an advantage because we do study newton's second and third laws and shit like that in 4u to build foundation. i skipped all of mechanics and conics in the 4u hsc because i didnt get a single ounce of it.

i say give 4u a shot, if you hate it (which you probably will once you do conics .. and if not that, then mechanics) then just drop it.

my school used cambridge which is pretty solid for learning but you might want to get terry lee because that has worked solutions.

zelda011

HSC
Hmmm well my advice to year 11's thinking about 4 unit is DO NOT think you will be able to coast your way through it. It is an entirely different kettle of fish. It is NOT that much harder than 3 unit in my opinion but it is another entire topic worth of maths on top of what youre already doing and it can snowball really bad, which is why people find it hard because it just becomes too much to remember.

So give it a shot. Just dont come into year 12 with 13 units, take up ext. 2 then drop 2 other subjects because you have then backed yourself into a corner that is difficult (impossible?) to get out of.

Ext. 2 is fun i think. It is far more interesting and you actually feel GOOD about finishing the questions. You will get maths induced headaches the likes of which you never thought possible but the feeling you will get after nutting out that integral or proving that theorum is just phenomenal and it makes you feel so... well... 1337. But it is NOT easy and you have to be patient with yourself and willing to spend often hours at a time doing only a few really difficult questions. You also need a really good teacher.

Well that's my two cents.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Rawr-cat said:
i dot do maths... i want to be a midwife... its not nessecary for me to do something i dont like ...... is it???
What the hell was the point in this post then ?

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
zelda011 said:
Hmmm well my advice to year 11's thinking about 4 unit is DO NOT think you will be able to coast your way through it. It is an entirely different kettle of fish. It is NOT that much harder than 3 unit in my opinion but it is another entire topic worth of maths on top of what youre already doing and it can snowball really bad, which is why people find it hard because it just becomes too much to remember.

So give it a shot. Just dont come into year 12 with 13 units, take up ext. 2 then drop 2 other subjects because you have then backed yourself into a corner that is difficult (impossible?) to get out of.

Ext. 2 is fun i think. It is far more interesting and you actually feel GOOD about finishing the questions. You will get maths induced headaches the likes of which you never thought possible but the feeling you will get after nutting out that integral or proving that theorum is just phenomenal and it makes you feel so... well... 1337. But it is NOT easy and you have to be patient with yourself and willing to spend often hours at a time doing only a few really difficult questions. You also need a really good teacher.

Well that's my two cents.
i totally agree with you, but not about the teacher bit...we have 3 classes at our skoo and well lets just say...no one really listens to the teacher cuz they dont do much other than read wats on the txtbook...so i dont rely on skoo teachers..coaching or tutor would be great =)

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
jewoneimon said:
dude i hear 50% of people doing hsc 4u don't finish half the test. getting 85% means u are a MACHINE at maths
I heard a raw mark of 74 was scaled to 90 last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)