If you are in year 11, read this first. (1 Viewer)

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
kooltrainer said:
lol... 4 unit is eassyyy!
no offence but it annoys me when ppl say that, nothing personal, but lets hear you say that after HSC =)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Rhanoct said:
I heard a raw mark of 74 was scaled to 90 last year.
Is there any subject that scales higher than 4unit or is 4unit the highest?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
pLuvia said:
One of the languages, latvian or something
From lyounamu's source, last year 4unit has the highest scaling average.

mick135

HSC
tommykins said:
From lyounamu's source, last year 4unit has the highest scaling average.
yes - 4 unit maths is the highest scaling subject
and yes - it is the hardest subject to do - thats why it scales so well
4 unit english is 1 8000 word story - aka super big bludge for creative story writers
ive done more writing than that for the proofs in conics in 2 weeks!
languages are probably harder, cause i only speak english - but other extensions like ext french and ext history probably do scale fairly well

if you think 4 unit is easy - pls by all means take it lightly and fail it in your hsc
thus giving me a better uai :D

tutoring is probably worth it towards the end of the hsc
cause, if im gonna pay $50 an hour for study - i know im gonna study my butt off cause im paying to do it!

kukee

HSC
withoutaface said:
I've created this to hopefully stem the flow of "I'm in year 11, should I do 4u?" threads that have been coming into this forum of late.

Points to note:

1. Your 3u marks should be up around 70%. This is by no means set in stone, because of varying test difficulties etc, but if, for example, you're getting 40% in 3u I'd strongly advise you against 4u.
2. You should love maths. Nothing else, unless you are extremely talented, will give you enough motivation to get through this course.
3. You must be prepared to give a substantial amount of your study time to 4u (50+% of your study time should go to 3 and 4u study).
4. If your teacher says you're not 4u material, they're probably right.
5. If you can't get through the course without spending $100 a week on tutoring, don't do it.

FAQ
Is 4u hard?
Yes.
Is it rewarding?
Yes.
Will I have to have early morning/late afternoon classes?
Depends on your school, but if you're at a selective school or a school with a lot of people then probably not.
Does 4u scale well?
Only if you work hard. Doing a subject just for the scaling is never a good idea.

If anyone wants to suggest anything else to add to this thread just post it underneath.
what will help me to understand maths better?

kukee

HSC
Despite that year 11 is alot harder than year 10 and definatly more demanding and your all feeling over it ( like i am) DONT GIVE UP YET! You only have one and a half years to go! iF you give up now, what will you do?
Everyone feels at times overwhelmed, but with support you can make it through these trying 2 years! :uhhuh::D

jaakeh

HSC
i'm probably gonna do 4 unit, but just saw some questions, what the hell. extension is so easy at the moment, does it just gradually build up to that, or is there a point where it gets heaps hard?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: If you are in year 11, read this first.

jaakeh said:
i'm probably gonna do 4 unit, but just saw some questions, what the hell. extension is so easy at the moment, does it just gradually build up to that, or is there a point where it gets heaps hard?
starting off is the hardet, you get used to it though

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: If you are in year 11, read this first.

i did 4unit for about 8 weeks in term 4, only me and one other girl did it, all classes were lunch/before school
i dropped it for two reasons, it was hard, but mainly because i have extremely bad time management skills and couldnt handle all the extra work + other subjects, so yeah.
she also dropped it just after me around the same reasons i think

eliseliselise

HSC
Rhanoct said:
I heard a raw mark of 74 was scaled to 90 last year.
74/120 or 74% was scaled to 90 ???

~~

yes and in regard to ext 2, i absolutely love the course [except for polynomials] & find it so much more interesting than 3u [sooo tedious!]! but, sometimes.. you'll find yourself in a situation where u had a 2unit test on monday, a scary 3u test on tuesday and then a 4u test on wednesday [on the proviso that u do 2u tests just in case ;)]- you sometimes feel like you need a break, and it all becomes overwhelming.. but THAT is where study skills comes in! especially for conics! write the formulas down as you go- shove them on the toilet door, and make little palm card thingys to get out on the bus, and if anyone asks why you are being nerdalicious say something along the lines of - "knowledge is power!" tis a very very very rewarding couse!! yay!

.. and just think about the scaling!! :rofl:

johnec10

HSC
HEY HOTTIES LAWL omg its john r here lawl and i just wanna say i saw the cutest asian boy today he was so cute i just wanted to gobble him up haha ^__^
i asked him out and he said yes but he hasnt called back :(
maybe hes playing hard to get lol ;p
i cant wait to spank his little bottom teehee its just because i love little boys so much !! shhhhhhhhh

maxwazza

HSC
Hehe i go to a public school and 1 (yes one!) person did 4u maths last year. Next year - mine - there will be two. Me and a mate :) hehe

ibrian

HSC
im in yr 11 and knocked complex numbers and sketching topics in 6 weeks while trying to finish 3unit at the same time. my school/tutor is trying to go thru 3 and 4 twice thats why. is that a good idea? going thru it quickly first time round and repeating it again to revise/understand wat you didnt understand OR going through both once, then sitting the HSC?

Sarsy

HSC
Sure it is. The more you do it and the better you know it the first time round, the easier it becomes to do later. Although, a tad more monotonous when revising, I'd imagine.

I

iminthesystem

so im in year 11 and doing 2unit accelerated. my teacher reckons i should move onto do 4 unit next year. that would mean i would have to do all of 3 unit, plus 4 unit, im thinking thats a bit much but im pretty dam good at math so i might be fine. any suggestions on what i should do?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
iminthesystem said:
so im in year 11 and doing 2unit accelerated. my teacher reckons i should move onto do 4 unit next year. that would mean i would have to do all of 3 unit, plus 4 unit, im thinking thats a bit much but im pretty dam good at math so i might be fine. any suggestions on what i should do?
er if you do 4unit you have to do the whole maths course.

get band 6 for 2unit in the HSC and you can do 4unit fine.

red-butterfly

HSC
I'm starting my ext 2 maths course tomorrow xD!

You don't need a tutor to have top marks it more the time and effort ou put into it. I dont have a tutor myself so yehh :D

i seem to be doing just fine ranking 3rd in my class

I guess its just more on personal opinion.

i agree that ext 2 is more difficult because its humanities...

but with maths its either a right or wrong answer and its clear where you lossed your marks or where you gained them. whereas english in general its hard to say... as there sometimes isn't a clear cut answer for it.

maybe that's just me but oh well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)