If you are in year 11, read this first. (1 Viewer)

Ferox

HSC
i'm not sure what i want to do in uni, but im leaning towards chem engineering. Would keeping bus studies give me versatility or should i drop it anyways since ext 2 will help in that particular course (n scales high as well :D )?
Not sure about chemical, but in general business studies won't help you nearly as much as Ext. 2 in engineering.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Never had a tutor. All you gotta do is listen in class. Those of you with tutors drop em and save some money. Just listen and follow the teachers instructions. If you have a bad teacher then just get Coroneos and Cambridge and you are set.

CORONEOS
Do you realise you replied to a post from 2005?

Not sure about chemical, but in general business studies won't help you nearly as much as Ext. 2 in engineering.
And you replied to a post from october last year?

---

Fail bumps.

nerdiichic

HSC
N/A
like im currently in term 2 of year 11 and ive been doing alrite in my 2u getting like 83~92% but not so good for me but alrite wen compared to the grade doing 3u? close to 50%.. ive talked to my teacher about 4u maths but i haventa sked about whether im suitable or not doing 4u maths but i persoanlly really want to do it cause i want to challenge myself. i mean im prepared to spend majority of my stduy time to maths.
Like i'd be doing 12 units just incase i decide not to sit for the 4u maths for the HSC cause your allowed to do that but i just want to see what some of your advice is? Im basically prepped, ive boght textbooks and past papers ready to study once i get a grasp of my 3u prelim but yeaa :S :bomb:id like a few advice and comments about my situation?

thanks! :)

mioumiou

HSC
like im currently in term 2 of year 11 and ive been doing alrite in my 2u getting like 83~92% but not so good for me but alrite wen compared to the grade doing 3u? close to 50%.. ive talked to my teacher about 4u maths but i haventa sked about whether im suitable or not doing 4u maths but i persoanlly really want to do it cause i want to challenge myself. i mean im prepared to spend majority of my stduy time to maths.
Like i'd be doing 12 units just incase i decide not to sit for the 4u maths for the HSC cause your allowed to do that but i just want to see what some of your advice is? Im basically prepped, ive boght textbooks and past papers ready to study once i get a grasp of my 3u prelim but yeaa :S :bomb:id like a few advice and comments about my situation?

thanks! :)
Well, it really depends on schools, but my maths teacher told me that "no one can force you NOT to do a subject or to DROP one". Maths is about constantly practicing so if you would like to have a challenge and have a go at 4u maths, "JUST GO FOR IT!" :)

chuboy

HSC
The theory in Ext 2 is only a little higher than than the concepts you are expected to grasp in Ext 1, the difficulty comes from the questions you will be expected to answer in exam conditions. Rather than asking you directly to recall theory or applying basic theory to a problem solving question, Ext 2 questions frequently involve using all the maths you have learned so far, even if it is not included in the Extension maths courses.

For example, I've seen solutions to questions that involved the ingenious use of the sine rule which we didn't touch in class since year 10.

So in other words, if you are feeling good conceptually with Extension 1, Extension 2 won't be much harder to learn. However, you will need to practice practice practice! I made this mistake last year, learning all the theory in the books but I rarely did any practice questions. End result was that I dug my own grave and got a much shitter mark than I wanted.

In 4U maths, by the time you realise you haven't done enough practice questions it is too late.

kr73114

HSC
Hey, how'd you know? But yeah, I don't turn up half the time, I don't ever do my homework and I get lost very easily. The only reason I go is because I'm forced, or because I hope that by listening in I'll absorb roughly half of what I need to know, so next year will be easier.
i used to do that (I hope that by listening in I'll absorb roughly half of what I need to know, so next year will be easier) and i hate to say but some of that shit works.

yousukatmaths

HSC
Here's my 2c, if you dislike or suck (and can't be bothered improving) in 3Unit, then do NOT take 4unit. Otherwise go for it and try it out.

William Fang

HSC
N/A
At James Ruse, around 80-90 students of the total 174 will end up doing 4U maths.

L

LightningXT

At my school 120/200 do 4U Maths every year. In Year 11 at the moment 171 do accelerated extension 1, and 80 will end up doing the 2U HSC at the end of the year. It's been like this for a long time.
The majority of the 4U Maths students say similar statements to what you guys have mentioned above : it's challenging but also rewarding. I' can't say how many do tutoring for it although I can say tutoring is the culture at our school; only 10-20% of my year don't do tutoring for any subject, me being one of those 10-20%.

Pfortune35

HSC
Is it true you have to study for 2 hours+ a day for maths if u do ex2

Osborn

HSC
Will I have to have early morning/late afternoon classes?
Depends on your school, but if you're at a selective school or a school with a lot of people then probably not.

lol TT all my 4unit classes are in the morning ): ):

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Will I have to have early morning/late afternoon classes?
Depends on your school, but if you're at a selective school or a school with a lot of people then probably not.

lol TT all my 4unit classes are in the morning ): ):
Enjoy it. 3 mornings a week I was at school early for 3/4U Maths, and 1 afternoon we stayed back. It was fun and I actually miss the morning classes!

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
2 hours is actually nothing.

For 4u, each question takes ages so you can easily spend like 3 - 4 hours per night on maths.
Not true. Not every question takes you 'ages'. A lot of them, with enough exposure, should be quite easy to complete. Yes, 4U is time consuming but not to the extent that people make it out to be.

LittlerCandy

HSC
I just finished my Preliminary Course for all my subjects and am really keen to study 4U Mathematics but I have some questions. Before I ask, I'll just say, I love Maths, I always have, however I went poorly in my 3U Prelim Yearly Exam, about 40% :l. I know it's bad but I just wanna say that I was an idiot and never studied much. Since then, I've pulled my head and honestly think I'm capable of doing 4U. I'm the only person in my school studying 3U and only get 3 lessons a fortnight. Anyways here are my questions;

1. How different is it to 3U? How much more difficult?

2. Why don't they allow you to sit the 2U Mathematics exam and does 2U still count towards your total unit number?

3. Is it better to blitz 2U or get about 70% in 4U?

4. And finally, do you honestly think I should give it a go?

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
I just finished my Preliminary Course for all my subjects and am really keen to study 4U Mathematics but I have some questions. Before I ask, I'll just say, I love Maths, I always have, however I went poorly in my 3U Prelim Yearly Exam, about 40% :l. I know it's bad but I just wanna say that I was an idiot and never studied much. Since then, I've pulled my head and honestly think I'm capable of doing 4U. I'm the only person in my school studying 3U and only get 3 lessons a fortnight. Anyways here are my questions;

1. How different is it to 3U? How much more difficult?

2. Why don't they allow you to sit the 2U Mathematics exam and does 2U still count towards your total unit number?

3. Is it better to blitz 2U or get about 70% in 4U?

4. And finally, do you honestly think I should give it a go?

1. 4U is a big step up. Bigger than the gap between 2U and 3U. That being said though, it's a good step up - 4U helps you immensely with 3U.

2. Because 2U doesn't count when you do 4U. You still need to know it all but 3U and 4U are both 2 unit subjects when taken like that.

3. 4U.

4. Always give it a go. If you can't do it, you can drop down. You can't go up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)