If you didn't have a modern history teacher... (1 Viewer)

zaqwerty

HSC
And only learnt the course from text books, how do you think you'd go?

Has your teacher taught you anything a textbook couldn't?

I think I'd be able to learn the course quite easily from a textbook, I do anyway, but my teacher has been quite useful in life-skills...

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Most students would be able to learn the content on their own however, the actual skills needed to answer the different types of questions that you will have to deal with would need some form of instruction.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
I'm in this situation for 6 of my units. I've doing alright all year in modern first in my class but 5th over all out of the two classes, theres a 10% difference in marks though.

HSC
Nah, my teach is a HSC marker so she knows what's right and wrong in mod history
i personally hink the HSC marker teachers are the best ones, spcailly for mod history

HSC
at first i thought i could learn it all from the textbook. but modern history is one subject i dont think i could.
i could definately learn all the content, historiography etc

but in terms of structuring an essay, there's so much effing content that it's good havin a teacher to simplify it, and tell you the key things to focus on and what's gnna be looked for.

ditto cem. :)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
It would only work to a degree. There are some things that you can only learn from a teacher and something written in a book isn't going to be much help.

Ademir

HSC
I think a good modern teacher is important for learning how to answer different types of questions and to go into some of the finer points of historiography. I guess a textbook would do fine, but a teacher is always better. You can't ask a textbook to clarify some of the more complex ideas for you if you're having trouble.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
I think i can. I learnt the entire Cold War and Trotsky section without the help of the teacher but i still think my teacher was awesome :D

queen d

HSC
yeah i think having a teacher is important but i think most of the work is done on ur own like my modern teacher wasn't much help all he would is read from the excel book but personally i think if u need help froma teacher call the hsc advice line

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Just learning from textbooks and taking notes for the whole year is only going to ruin your love for the subject and create neverending boredom due to repetition.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Aplus said:
Just learning from textbooks and taking notes for the whole year is only going to ruin your love for the subject and create neverending boredom due to repetition.
LOL, have you done your HSC yet???

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Aplus said:
In Year 10 T_T
I've learnt more than half of the modern history syllabus off texts books and trust me...i still love the subject. :)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
tanjin said:
I've learnt more than half of the modern history syllabus off texts books and trust me...i still love the subject. :)
That would probably be the same for me. It makes a difference if you actually like the subject a lot.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
tanjin said:
Me too :)

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Aplus said:
Modern History wins. I have no interest in Ancient at all.
I like history - no matter what kind.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yep, even medieval history is cool :D

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Kujah said:
Yep, even medieval history is cool :D
Medieval is one of my favourite, although only the British one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)