If you don't get a ATAR you expect can you repeat HSC? (1 Viewer)

Deathless

HSC
Say if you want to get a high ATAR but then get pushed down because you do ten units and you failed one subject miserably, can you just repeat that subject again next year?

Because I just failed one assessment worth 15% of internal. I got 0. So yeah, does that mean I essentialy can't get 97+ ATAR anymore? For my other assessments so far, I've got 94% in 2 Unit maths and 100% in Ancient, and 100% in Modern, but one of my subject' assements I got 0.

Sorry for broken english. Just depressed. Is it possible to just repeat a subject next year or do I have to repeat the whole HSC?

It's so depressing. I don't deserve the 0 - but I turned up late to school and they said that's it. You just get a 0.

annarh-saur

HSC
Uni Grad
Thats why you don't do 10units? o_O i'll shoot myself if i don't get my desired atar :(

martinc

HSC
yeah you can repeat just one subject. that's how it works for accelerated kids :) .. they can use their past marks =p

EDIT: and you can certainly still get 97ATAR+, as long as you do well in rest of your assessments. remember, they send off your rank to the BOS, not your mark =p

so don't lose hope!
still time! :)

Deathless

HSC
Ok. The subject I failed is English. So at the end of the year, if I do badly do I just tell them can I repeat the year for English? So does that mean I don't get an ATAR in '10 but in '11?

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
yeah you can. a girl in my grade couldn't get into veterinary science or something since she received an atar of 40 something or 50 something. So... she's redoing year 12...

elmoateme

HSC
You would probably be better of just heading to uni for a similar course if you didnt get your atar. There isnt much point repeating just 2units of study, or more if you were happy with your results. And remember, your rank might not be as good as you want now, but you still have 85% internal to go, and then you will have the external exam as well. Remember your final HSC marks is an average of internal and external, so its not too bad. 97 is still very achievable for you. Good luck, just don't get yourself down =)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
If you do fuck up and you don't get your ATAR you can take a gap year doing work while doing your 2units, so it won't be a complete waste.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
You would probably be better of just heading to uni for a similar course if you didnt get your atar. There isnt much point repeating just 2units of study, or more if you were happy with your results. And remember, your rank might not be as good as you want now, but you still have 85% internal to go, and then you will have the external exam as well. Remember your final HSC marks is an average of internal and external, so its not too bad. 97 is still very achievable for you. Good luck, just don't get yourself down =)
I disagree, it really depends how far behind you are. Let's say you wanted to get into vet science and you only got in the 70s, no point hoping for a transfer, because they still look at your ATAR (especially in areas like law and commerce). Also why would you just repeat 2 units of HSC then? I'd repeat all the subjects which I didn't go good in, and if you did do good, you should do better second time round.

However, if you just came short by a bit, for example you wanted to get into law - 99.xx and you got let's say 97, then you shouldn't do a similar course at a different university, however you should transfer from a slightly lower course from the university you're hoping to get into. For example at UNSW, to transfer into law, you need an ATAR over 97 I think it is and a credit average (I think) to get in.

Plus with some courses, the university you go to does make a difference with employment etc etc.

Also, don't stress, you've still got a long way to go. If you stuff up your trials however, then you know you're fucked.

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
yeah you can repeat just one subject. that's how it works for accelerated kids :) .. they can use their past marks =p

EDIT: and you can certainly still get 97ATAR+, as long as you do well in rest of your assessments. remember, they send off your rank to the BOS, not your mark =p

so don't lose hope!
still time! :)
Schools send your mark to the BOS not the ranks.

The relative gaps in the marks are just as important as the final ranks for all students except first and last so marks are needed.

The marks sent to the BOS are what determine the ranks but it is the marks that are sent.

Deathless

HSC
Nah I'm good at all my other subjects, I was looking for the 99's, guess that won't be possible now :( Damn, so much wasted effort. In all my subjects, I've ranked in top 10 so far for Maths and stuff and in English I shoulda aced it too, since I was like top 5 last year but now I failed this I was wondering if I could get 99's anymore even if I manage to top the state in three suebjects?

ilikebeeef

HSC
Nah I'm good at all my other subjects, I was looking for the 99's, guess that won't be possible now :( Damn, so much wasted effort. In all my subjects, I've ranked in top 10 so far for Maths and stuff and in English I shoulda aced it too, since I was like top 5 last year but now I failed this I was wondering if I could get 99's anymore even if I manage to top the state in three suebjects?
Which subjects?

cassiecocaine

HSC
I didn't really read everything, just sort of skimmed this thread. But try Newstep? :) You do not want to do year 12 again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)