If you don't really know the content of a subject.... (1 Viewer)

Memi

HSC
N/A
Is it wiser to memorise it and then attempt past papers? Or do an open-book test with past papers?
Thanks

interesting

HSC
N/A
memorise it and then attempt past papers to reinforce those concepts, by doing this you will know where your weaknesses are and what to look out for in the future. i don't feel like im learning when i do open book .. it just feels like im copying and its just too tempting to cheat xD

Last edited:

Carl5

HSC
Like everyone else has said, memorise first, then do past papers. If you have very little time for the subject, then just memorise at least. Doing papers without knowing the content won't get you anywhere because you don't have the content in your mind to recall in the first place.

Memi

HSC
N/A
memorise it and then attempt past papers to reinforce those concepts, by doing this you will know where your weaknesses are and what to look out for in the future. i don't feel like im learning when i do open book .. it just feels like im copying and its just too tempting to cheat xD
Yeah whenever I do open book, it doesn't feel very effective because I'm just copying.

enoilgam

HSC
It depends, in humanities subjects (except economics) a great knowledge of the content isnt a must for a band 6. A decent knowledge is all that is required.

unknown88

HSC
N/A
even for business? =D
l would say no. Business isn't a hard subject, l will admit that. However in saying the questions aren't specific like in Chem or Physics. Example Physics Describe the motor effect? In business they will say What is a social influence of Employment relations? Then you have to use your knowledge of the syllabus to know thats population shifts and flex. working conditions.

enoilgam

HSC
even for business? =D
For business, knowledge of the content is probably more important then say it is in modern, ancient, SOR or legal, but you can still get a band 6 without a great knowledge of the course.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Memorise the material, do the past papers - and then re-do the past papers adding new points to what you wrote to see what you should've written. Memorise that, and rinse and repeat.

Memi

HSC
N/A
Alright, thanks everyone.
Guess I've got a bit of memorising to do.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
Just do 2/3 past papers a week before your exam. Make at least one is under exam conditions. Ideally, by doing this in close periods to your exam, the experience should site fresh with your mind, giving you the extra edge.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Lol farkin help me, I'm getting 60-80% in past papers for maths. Shitting bricks.

Memi

HSC
N/A
Just do 2/3 past papers a week before your exam. Make at least one is under exam conditions. Ideally, by doing this in close periods to your exam, the experience should site fresh with your mind, giving you the extra edge.
Yeah it's probably ideal replicating examination conditions. When doing a past paper, if you finish before 3 hours elapse, do you continue checking until time is over? Or begin marking?

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Yeah it's probably ideal replicating examination conditions. When doing a past paper, if you finish before 3 hours elapse, do you continue checking until time is over? Or begin marking?
I just mark after I finish the test, normally for sciences i take like 2 hours 55 mins though lol

jamesfirst

HSC
Not enough man... lol

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol farkin help me, I'm getting 60-80% in past papers for maths. Shitting bricks.
M7, 80% is a band 6.
I got 68% in 1996 MX1 just before and now feel like I'm about to die. Haha. Shit…
I got 1/12 for question 5, 6/12 for question 4 and 10/12 for Q7. I don't even…

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)