If You're a Christian, Muslim or Jew - You are Wrong (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardenne

HSC
Wow, reading all those 20 pages made me really tired! This seems to be getting incredibly scientific. Just on a different note, so people that don't belive in God, obviously don't believe that theres an afterlife or that they have souls. Can i just ask, what is your purpose in life? (lol sorry, i think that might just open up a whole different topic)

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Hardenne said:
Wow, reading all those 20 pages made me really tired! This seems to be getting incredibly scientific. Just on a different note, so people that don't belive in God, obviously don't believe that theres an afterlife or that they have souls. Can i just ask, what is your purpose in life? (lol sorry, i think that might just open up a whole different topic)
What on earth does having a soul got to do with believing in god? Youy seem to be implying that people who do not believe in gods have no emotion or feelings or are souless.

As for the question of purpose. Do you really think everyone is set on what their purpose in life is?

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
gerhard said:
No its not. Thats the point.
If two people disagree about something that can be found out by logic, that doesnt mean that logic is subjective. It means one of them is wrong.
From what I can gather, logic can be subjective in this respect. I know Moonlight Sonata takes Philosophy courses, and sees that logic makes the existence of God implausible.

On the other hand, I have a friend who is also doing Philosophy, and sees that logic makes the existence of God plausible.

Something can be found out by logic, of course. But the problem is that we will never find out the correct answer, and in such cases people see and apply logic differently, hence it is subjective.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Wesnat said:
That does not imply that theists simply believe in a higher power and that is the end of it, though.

Many religions believe that God knows all. However, we are still discovering how God works. For example, religious scientists would think that to research is to discover and appreciate God's work. We (well, not all of us, but many of us) do not dismiss scientific theories such as the Big Bang theory or theory of evolution/natural selection by resorting to the belief that 'it cannot be any of these things, it must be God and (for example) the Creation Story!'

We believe that God creates the world, but how he creates it is still left in the open.

Say, we all believe the Big Bang Theory, only monotheists believe that it's God's work, and atheists don't. But does this really, to put it in your terms, simplify our way of thinking?
That comment was directed against those who are of the belief that uncertainty and the unknown may quite easily be remedied by faith in a god, not those who are of the opinion that such uncertainty is fine and that there is still much to learn.

The point was that it offers a simplistic framework within which people may escape, not that it is such a framework to which all theists necessarily adhere.

Hardenne

HSC
Well the soul is an unimaginable being like God. So if you dont have the potential to believe in God, i dont think you are able do beleive you have a soul? Unfortuneately everything cannt be 'scientifically' proven im sorry, yes science can be evidence, but never solid proof, after all a basis of science, 'the atom' itself is a theory.

gerhard

HSC
Well the soul is an unimaginable being like God. So if you dont have the potential to believe in God, i dont think you are able do beleive you have a soul? Unfortuneately everything cannt be 'scientifically' proven im sorry, yes science can be evidence, but never solid proof, after all a basis of science, 'the atom' itself is a theory.
err, im pretty sure most athiests accept that souls dont exist. souls and god pretty much go hand in hand in this sort of debate.

lots of things can be 'scientifically proven', but nothing in science can actually be 'proven'

for instance,

gravity is a theory.
its impossible to prove that when we wake up tomorrow we will still have gravity.

the best we can do is say

gravity was working today
gravity has worked in every other day in the past
therefore gravity will work tomorrow

which is called induction to the best explanation. It is not proof of course. But its a 'scientific proof' or a 'scientific theory' (the two things mean pretty much the same thing, a proof is just a widely accepted theory).

The fact that science can only provide theories is not a problem with the discipline, its the beauty of the discipline. Because with new evidence we can change theories to better suit the real world, to come up with a closer and closer model of the world we are living in.

Liberal Scum

Banned
HSC
Hardenne said:
The fact that atoms exist is not really a theory, because we can observe them under electron microscopes, the real theory is which structural model it is.

rcandelori

zahid said:
Sums it up pretty well.
"The Prophet established women's rights to property and inheritance 1,300 before Europeans did." - Zahid

This does not disguise the reality of 2005 where women are oppressed and treated like sexual objects under harsh, uncompromising Islamic principles.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Hardenne said:
I still contest the idea that I'm souless. Perhaps you should go around telling people that do not share your beliefs that they are incapable of having souls.

Kaiser Zero

Banned
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yes you can.
Yeah, what I meant to say was what makes up an atom, thus proving the theory for people that want proof they can see with their eyes.

Liberal Scum

Banned
HSC
Kaiser Zero said:
Yeah, what I meant to say was what makes up an atom, thus proving the theory for people that want proof they can see with their eyes.
No, you said the fact that atoms exist was still a theory. We have seen atoms and molecules under electron microscopes, this is proof.

And even if we're talking about what an atom is constructed of, we've still got 1000x more evidence of that than of any supreme being.

Kaiser Zero

Banned
HSC
Do you wanna quote me on that?

I made a mistake in my original post saying atoms instead of what they are made up of.
I was stating that you cant see sub-atomic particles which would validate the existence of atoms for a lot of other people..

I have never stated I don't believe in atoms haha.

stainmepink

HSC
where the fuck is my post? this thread got so fucken big in a matter of days.

and comrade nathan, or nathan com. i share you're point of view. i can't be fucked over to spead out my 2000 word essay on religion used as a powerful tool of propaganda. etc etc. if anyone wants to argue with me i'll go dig it up and post it here. The real blessing to the people of the world, is ironically, the absense of religion. Although our laws may still be based on some aspects of Christianity, the absense of religion has allowed us to live freely without constricting ourselves or others. We more or less now have access to education.

actually i will post up my argument, for those nutters who think religion and the law should be one.

stainmepink

HSC
Liberal Scum said:
No, you said the fact that atoms exist was still a theory. We have seen atoms and molecules under electron microscopes, this is proof.

And even if we're talking about what an atom is constructed of, we've still got 1000x more evidence of that than of any supreme being.

There is proof that the atom exists. Dalton laid the foundation of modern study of atom and he described world's microstructure explaining most of occurrences known those days. After over two thousand years, finally there were so many proofs of atom's existence, that hypothetical till then, atoms became real. Thanks to Dalton's works there was enough proof of atom's existence that it became a publicly admitted scientific concept.

if you want the technicalities, the physics and the chemistry involved you can look it up yourself.

edit: oh shit im sorry. i re read ur post and you do believe the atom exists. *phew* i'll still leave this here for anyone in denial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)