HSC
Any tips on what I should know other than Japanese? >_>

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ChockoRepublic said:
they like whales.
Shut up, you racist retard. Your language throughout the site disgusts me. If you are not going to give decent advices, don't waste a precious post. I hope that moderator becomes aware of your abominable posts and ban you for that.

To OP: Um, I think it will be better to take significant sum of money if you wish to buy something there. I heard that stuffs there are quite expensive. And try to communicate with native Japanese to further enhance your speaking skills. Good luck and I envy you~~~

HSC
lyounamu said:
Shut up, you racist retard. Your language throughout the site disgusts me. If you are not going to give decent advices, don't waste a precious post. I hope that moderator becomes aware of your abominable posts and ban you for that.

To OP: Um, I think it will be better to take significant sum of money if you wish to buy something there. I heard that stuffs there are quite expensive. And try to communicate with native Japanese to further enhance your speaking skills. Good luck and I envy you~~~
namu, why are you so crazy? isn't it true though? they like whales. ;)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ChockoRepublic said:
namu, why are you so crazy? isn't it true though? they like whales. ;)
You obvioulsy meant that Japanese people love eating whales.

And you call that advice?

HSC
lyounamu said:
You obvioulsy meant that Japanese people love eating whales.

And you call that advice?
of course i meant that! namu, you are very very sensitive. in australia, we like to take the piss out of people. it doesn't mean we are racist, in fact, i love everyone!:)

do you think the whalers would be whaling whales if the japanese didn't like eating whales?

Pink Oni

HSC
lyounamu said:
Ohh it's expensive? xC I can only take about $300-600 worth of Yen so I don't think I'll be getting anything out of whack though. Thanks for telling me this, now I have some sort of confirmation that I can't get a digital camera for my aunt there. I'll definitely talk alot, and I'll be really outgoing hehe. :cool: Oh yeah, I'm only going during the holidays to my host family so it'll be a while T_T

zomg said:
their squattie toilets are horrible lol brace yourself

but if u figure out how to work the gizmo toilets let me know
LOL, I heard about those. I'll be sure to let you know if I get to use one of those uber-toilets. *gasp* I hope I don't get taken to a public ofuro TT_TT

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ChockoRepublic said:
of course i meant that! namu, you are very very sensitive. in australia, we like to take the piss out of people. it doesn't mean we are racist, in fact, i love everyone!:)

do you think the whalers would be whaling whales if the japanese didn't like eating whales?
Haven't you read news articles that the whale meat is getting increasingly condemned by the Japanese public? Not only that, whale meat's supply is now well above the demand.

And you didn't answer my second question. How can you call such a stereotype advice? How would your "advice" help him in his journey to Japan during the holiday?

To Pink Oni: I am not really sure about the electronic goods' price though. My father went to Japan many times but he bought all those electronic goods at such a bargain price. There is a particular area in city where you can get stuffs really cheap. When I mean really cheap, I mean "really bloody cheap". But you will find that general goods such as foods are quite expensive. My dad once commented that buying candy required like...quite a money.

Last edited:
HSC
lyounamu said:
Haven't you read news articles that the whale meat is getting increasingly condemned by the Japanese public? Not only that, whale meat's supply is now well above the demand.

And you didn't answer my second question. How can you call such a stereotype advice? How would your "advice" help him in his journey to Japan during the holiday?
namu, care to provide some sources to back up your claims?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ChockoRepublic said:
namu, care to provide some sources to back up your claims?
TOKYO (AP) — Japanese police are pursuing arrest warrants against three activists from the U.S.-based animal rights group Sea Shepherd for allegedly attacking Japanese whaling ships last year, an official said Monday.
Kyodo News agency quoted unnamed Tokyo Metropolitan Police investigators as saying authorities had applied to a Japanese court for warrants for the three, and that police planned to put them on an international wanted list.
It was unclear when the warrants would be issued.
Public broadcaster NHK said police sought to arrest two Americans, ages 41 and 30, and one Briton, 28.
Japanese police had identified the three men via video footage of them throwing flaming projectiles that damaged a Japanese whaling ship in February 2007, NHK said. The report did not name the suspects.
Police refused to comment Monday, but Chief Cabinet Secretary Nobutaka Machimura confirmed the report, saying there was no excuse for the anti-whaling activists' attacks.
"Regardless of a difference of opinion, it is unacceptable that those who are involved (in whaling) get injured ... or face life-threatening dangers," Machimura said. He did not give any details of the case.
Sea Shepherd's activists aim to disrupt Japan's annual whaling operations through high-seas confrontation with their own boats.
In February 2007, the anti-whaling group's boat and a Japanese whaling vessel collided twice in Antarctic waters during clashes near a pod of whales. Around the same time, Sea Shepherd activists also dumped a foul-smelling acid made from rancid butter on another whaling ship, slightly injuring two crew members and prompting Japanese officials to label them "terrorists."
Japan kills about 1,000 whales a year under a scientific whaling program that Tokyo says provides crucial data for the International Whaling Commission on populations, feeding habits and distribution of the mammals in the seas near Antarctica.
The hunts are allowed by the International Whaling Commission, but the Sea Shepherd and environmental groups have long condemned the hunts as a pretext for keeping commercial whaling alive after the practice was banned by the commission in 1986.
The Japanese have hunted whales for centuries, and whale meat was widely eaten in the lean years after World War II. However, it has plunged in popularity in today's prosperous Japan. While still on the menu in a few upscale Tokyo restaurants, the meat is only eaten regularly in small coastal communities.
Sea Shepherd could not immediately be reached for comment, but the group says it tries to avoid any physical injury to whalers.
In June, the group announced plans to try to disrupt Japan's 2008-09 whaling season in the Antarctic.

Source: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iCgWmMX9zN9my3QeESBiITvAIzhQD92KHGPG0

AND YOU HAVEN'T ANSWERED MY SECOND QUESTION YET. TRYING YOUR BEST TO AVOID HUH?

HSC
lyounamu said:
TOKYO (AP) — Japanese police are pursuing arrest warrants against three activists from the U.S.-based animal rights group Sea Shepherd for allegedly attacking Japanese whaling ships last year, an official said Monday.
Kyodo News agency quoted unnamed Tokyo Metropolitan Police investigators as saying authorities had applied to a Japanese court for warrants for the three, and that police planned to put them on an international wanted list.
It was unclear when the warrants would be issued.
Public broadcaster NHK said police sought to arrest two Americans, ages 41 and 30, and one Briton, 28.
Japanese police had identified the three men via video footage of them throwing flaming projectiles that damaged a Japanese whaling ship in February 2007, NHK said. The report did not name the suspects.
Police refused to comment Monday, but Chief Cabinet Secretary Nobutaka Machimura confirmed the report, saying there was no excuse for the anti-whaling activists' attacks.
"Regardless of a difference of opinion, it is unacceptable that those who are involved (in whaling) get injured ... or face life-threatening dangers," Machimura said. He did not give any details of the case.
Sea Shepherd's activists aim to disrupt Japan's annual whaling operations through high-seas confrontation with their own boats.
In February 2007, the anti-whaling group's boat and a Japanese whaling vessel collided twice in Antarctic waters during clashes near a pod of whales. Around the same time, Sea Shepherd activists also dumped a foul-smelling acid made from rancid butter on another whaling ship, slightly injuring two crew members and prompting Japanese officials to label them "terrorists."
Japan kills about 1,000 whales a year under a scientific whaling program that Tokyo says provides crucial data for the International Whaling Commission on populations, feeding habits and distribution of the mammals in the seas near Antarctica.
The hunts are allowed by the International Whaling Commission, but the Sea Shepherd and environmental groups have long condemned the hunts as a pretext for keeping commercial whaling alive after the practice was banned by the commission in 1986.
The Japanese have hunted whales for centuries, and whale meat was widely eaten in the lean years after World War II. However, it has plunged in popularity in today's prosperous Japan. While still on the menu in a few upscale Tokyo restaurants, the meat is only eaten regularly in small coastal communities.
Sea Shepherd could not immediately be reached for comment, but the group says it tries to avoid any physical injury to whalers.
In June, the group announced plans to try to disrupt Japan's 2008-09 whaling season in the Antarctic.

Source: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iCgWmMX9zN9my3QeESBiITvAIzhQD92KHGPG0

AND YOU HAVEN'T ANSWERED MY SECOND QUESTION YET. TRYING YOUR BEST TO AVOID HUH?
ok, thanks for that, but still, that could just be speculation.

anyway, don't take my post so seriously.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ChockoRepublic said:
ok, thanks for that, but still, that could just be speculation.

anyway, don't take my post so seriously.
ok. I tend to get carried away from my normal brain functioning.

Yamiyo

HSC
The cost situation in Japan's not that bad, with the AUD doing fairly well against the Yen. Electronic goods, as namu pointed out, are quite cheap (compared to Aus. anyway)

lionking1191

HSC
lyounamu said:

talkin about over reaction..

barling89

McLovin it :D
HSC
getting back onto the topic, you've just said that ur to Japan....where exactly in Japan??? cuz all of this advice would change/not apply

lionking1191

HSC
barling89 said:
getting back onto the topic, you've just said that ur to Japan....where exactly in Japan??? cuz all of this advice would change/not apply
and what kind of stay? a school organised exchange (like those 2 week ones) requires minimal work for you to be done.

japan's costly..living expenses in tokyo are like 1600 a month 0_0 i think kansai's a bit better with around 1100-1300 but still..

Pink Oni

HSC
Just to answer the last few questions, I'm going to Nagoya IIRC, and it's pretty much a cultural and language exchange. So, I have to be outgoing and stuff and say a speech at the end of it there in Japanese.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
OHH! I went to Japan this April! Let me tell you what I learnt:
- really respect their traditions, so that's no loud talking, no eating on streets
- be warned, there are NO bins on the streets (you're suppose to take your rubbish with you)
- I wouldn't worry about money. I had $600 to spend, and I spent $200 over 10 days.
- Souveniors: if you're getting swords, make sure that the shop claims that they are 'toy swords' and not weapons otherwise it'll be confiscated.
- on the trains: you HAVE to stand. Don't sit b/c that's for older people and hold your luggage in your hands (that's your backpacks too)

thats all i can think of atm. Have fun :)

HSC
japan isnt actually that expensive
at least when i went there
just eat at places where the locals eat and stuff
i got a 30 gig ipod over there for like 250 dollars
so you should be able to get a decent camera

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)