In History, can your evidence be scientifically based? (1 Viewer)

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Say if you can't find any archaeological or written evidence to support your theory, but you have heaps of scientific evidence available, can you use scientific evidence to support a theory?

Thanks.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Say if you can't find any archaeological or written evidence to support your theory, but you have heaps of scientific evidence available, can you use scientific evidence to support a theory?

Thanks.
I advise you not to. However, if you're in the middle of a test and you somehow forget all your sources and evidence, then you might as well use whatever evidence you can think of to maximize marks.
But yeah, don't.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Thanks.
Yes. Technology plays an extremely important role when it comes to discovering different stuff. Whether it be scientific evidence or not, you can use it to support your theory.

Actually for HSC Ancient History, I think you learn about carbon dating technique that is used predominantly by many archaeologists to determine approximate age of different ancient structures.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Yes. Technology plays an extremely important role when it comes to discovering different stuff. Whether it be scientific evidence or not, you can use it to support your theory.

Actually for HSC Ancient History, I think you learn about carbon dating technique that is used predominantly by many archaeologists to determine approximate age of different ancient structures.
Orly, didn't know that.
Psh, just don't use too much.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Oh geez, because I'm doing the Shroud of Turin for a history thingo and I can't find any archeological or written evidence at all. Any suggestions?

Kittikhun

HSC
That's a hard topic to do as you said there aren't many sources you can refer to it. Do you have a choice of what you can do for your assignment? If you do, don't do the shroud of Turin.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
unfortunately, I can't change topics. I'm really lost. DUnno what to do!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
pm PwarYuex about it, he gives good advice on history.

LordPc

HSC
I wouldnt suggest that you just create new theories from thin air because you have some scientific data that supports it, cause a real historian/archaeologist/or any scientist really would need to have multiple pieces of evidence that supports a theory before bringing it forth

but with that being said you can use scientific evidence to support things. for example, a lot of the information that we have about the people of pompeii and herculaneum is from scientific study of the site, bone structure and analysis of body remains have told us a great deal about the time of 79AD, so dont rule it out

mmm_brrraains

HSC
N/A
Oh geez, because I'm doing the Shroud of Turin for a history thingo and I can't find any archeological or written evidence at all. Any suggestions?
hi, i randomly happened across this thread and might be able to offer a little help. There's an article from a 1989 edition of Nature that goes through the radiocarbon dating of the Shroud of Turin. It's pretty short and a bit technical, but it at least gives you some evidence to refer to.

The only prob is that unless your school has an arrangement with the publisher of the journal, you won't be able to access the full text of the article (unless you want to pay US$32 for it!). If you're keen to get hold of it, just pm me or something and i'll email it to you (I have access thru the ANU).

trekkie

HSC
Scientific evidence can form a strong part in determining an objects authenticity as being an historical object and not a fake so any evidenceyou have pertaining to the shroud and whether it could possibly be from the 1st century AD would be excellent. As far as placing the shroud as being that which was used to cover the body of Jesus there is an abundance out there you just need to look. It ranges from the Gospel of John, historians such as Eusebius and legends like the Agbar legend. I have a fair amount of this material left over from when i did extension, if your interested Pm me and ill send you a list

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
I had to use heaps for the Iceman/Bog Bodies section of the Prelim course.
Archaeology is teh fail.

Allyria

HSC
Hey,

I don't know if you did Otzi the Ice Man in year 11 or the Bog Bodies?
in both cases almost all the evidence available is scientific.
(google Otzi, he's the best example)
Science is a major part of archaeology, which in turn is a major part of historical understanding.
I don't know how much scientific evidence you can use for the Shroud though... it seems to me that a lot of its historical significance stems from its place ancient myth and legend...I suppose you could use findings to confirm/refute certain beliefs held about the object, depends on how much evidence is available...
anyway, my point was really, that scientifically based evidence is definitely ok.
:p

A.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)