• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

In your opinion what is the most important subject? (3 Viewers)

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Re: What is the most important subject?

foram said:
4U math is recomended for many degrees allowing you to get a well paid job. Acturial studies and engineering are two examples of subjects heavily math orientated.

Mining engineering has an average salary of 120k on your first year out of uni, where as Medicine and Law are slightly under 100k.
1. 4U maths isn't on the recommended list for the majority of degrees even if we are talking about 'those degrees that pay well' (which btw is all crap - certain degrees dont guarantee high pay).
2. not everything is about money
3. where did you get the statistic: 'Mining engineering has an average salary of 120k on your first year out of uni, where as Medicine and Law are slightly under 100k'. please reference your source

foram said:
Ezactly, Australia is so racist.
yet Australia is probably the most multicultural country out there

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

i see no point in english most people can read and write

and especially in film study i dont care wat the director is trying to say i just wanna watch the goddam movie

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

kaz1 said:
i see no point in english most people can read and write

and especially in film study i dont care wat the director is trying to say i just wanna watch the goddam movie
english isn't so much about the content but rather how you see the content. it helps develop your critical thinking skills which you will need for later in life no matter what direction you take (particularly if you are going to uni). it also helps build up essay writing skills which you will need if you are going to continue your education.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

catzhernandez said:
In response to the thread topic. i sincerely believe English is the most important subject in terms of it's usefulness and it's also the one common denominator for all HSC students.

Also it's probably the most interesting subject, where you get to learn some things you might not normally learn on your own and you may even develop an appreciation of it. Case in point, Shakespeare, poetry, Novels...etc.
I doubt usefulness of some English topics in our everyday lives. At one point in life, do you need to know about poems? At one point in life, do you need to know about Shakespeare? My argument is that large section of what we learn in English are truly irrelevant and should be abolished.

I do not doubt the usefulness of English in general but I truly question the RELEVANCE OF some topics in English and I think that's truly unfair for students who undertake either Adnvaced English, Extension 1 English and Extension 2 English where we basically need to pick up the damn Shakespeare texts and write essays about it. They don't have to do it in Standard English and ESL where most of materials seem to be quite relevant.

I mean, why do we need to go further than we are capable of? Majority of Advanced English people don't even know how to structure essays and how to write English in write grammatical order! I am not even forgetting those in Extension 1 & 2 English. If the BOS wants to develop critical thinking, they better start from the basis where we basically learn how to write better and use better vocabulary from the start! Many people therefore end up copying essays from others to succeed in their exams.

Even thouh English PROMOTES so called "critical thinking", English remains itself quite fact-based and majority of subjects promote that "critical thinking" as well. English is not the only subject that does that.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

catzhernandez said:
Lyounama, Thanks for that very deep insightful lecture that you have taken the time to bestow upon me . I'm just trying to rack up my post count so that I can post in non-school. Do you know how many posts I will need?
No, I wasn't lecturing on you. I thought your post was good to quote and that's what I did. I actually wasn't aiming at anyone. I am so sorry if I caused offence or anything in anyway.

You can post whenever you want, can't you??? I mean, the number of post doesn't matter or that's why I thought.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

melanieeeee. said:
1. 4U maths isn't on the recommended list for the majority of degrees even if we are talking about 'those degrees that pay well' (which btw is all crap - certain degrees dont guarantee high pay).
2. not everything is about money
3. where did you get the statistic: 'Mining engineering has an average salary of 120k on your first year out of uni, where as Medicine and Law are slightly under 100k'. please reference your source
1) Mining Engineering basicly guarantees high pay.
2) Almost everything is about money.
3) UNSW

catzhernandez

HSC

lyounamu said:
. I am so sorry if I caused offence or anything in anyway.

You can post whenever you want, can't you??? I mean, the number of post doesn't matter or that's why I thought.

It's fine, your points were valid and well structured. I can definitely see where you're coming from.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

foram said:
Deep in my heart, I want to shout "no!". But in reality, that seems to be the truth for many of us who are only attracted to what we can get out of than how much we can satisfy ourselves from doing a particular job.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

If you think everything is about money - you will lead a very narrow and depressing life. Trust me - money isn't everything - it doesn't buy happiness.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Aerath said:
If you think everything is about money - you will lead a very narrow and depressing life. Trust me - money isn't everything - it doesn't buy happiness.
That's the absolute truth. :)

michael1990

HSC

Aerath said:
It doesn't buy happiness. But it makes happiness more accessible.

Money makes the world go around, learn the importance of money.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

melanieeeee. said:
english isn't so much about the content but rather how you see the content. it helps develop your critical thinking skills which you will need for later in life no matter what direction you take (particularly if you are going to uni). it also helps build up essay writing skills which you will need if you are going to continue your education.
Essays in english are written differently to essays in just about every other subject. Have you ever noticed? An economics essay is structured differently to an english essay, and it's more factual. I can easily get full marks in economics essays. English is emotional ranting supported by obscure interpretations of whatever you're writing about. Theres is no correct answer, and the only way to get a good marks is to support the teachers opinion. The marking guidelines are completely subjective, so the teacher can give you whatever mark they want. Meaning that because i'm asian and male, the white female english teachers are proberbly racist against me so they give me a bad mark, and I can't argue against it because the marking guidelines are completely based on the teachers opinions.

In other subjects you know when you've gotten full marks, but in english you may think you'll get full marks, and end up with 50% and vice versa. My friend spent 20 minutes doing his english assignment just for the sake of doing it, and he got 13/15, but I spent 4hrs making mine perfect, and I get 9/15. :(

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

foram said:
1) Mining Engineering basicly guarantees high pay.
3) UNSW
1. Not if you can't get a job, it not.
2. I feel very sorry for the person that thinks money is everything. Why don't you go do drug dealing or something or maybe once you get married to tell your wife to go out and be a prostitue. I heard they get a lot of money. $5000+ a week according to the Jerry Springer show.
3. Please link.

bored of sc

HSC

the most important subject is english because it can applied to anyone, regardless of their subject interests

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

money is everything because it is a coincidence of wants and wants give you satisfaction(utility in eco) and therefore money=happiness

Last edited:

Gay Captain

HSC

foram said:
Mining engineering has an average salary of 120k on your first year out of uni, where as Medicine and Law are slightly under 100k.
Fucking hell you hsc kids are deluded

MY DEGREE IS GOING TO GIVE ME 100K FIRST YR OUT BECAUSE I'LL GET A HIGH UAI AND GO TO A PRESTIGIOUS UNI

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

melanieeeee. said:
1. Not if you can't get a job, it not.
2. I feel very sorry for the person that thinks money is everything. Why don't you go do drug dealing or something or maybe once you get married to tell your wife to go out and be a prostitue. I heard they get a lot of money. $5000+ a week according to the Jerry Springer show.
3. Please link.
1) Mining Engineering is almost a guaranteed job.
2) I'm going to remain single.
3) It was a school excursion to UNSW, not a website, but i'm sure there are tables of the average salary of different jobs somewhere on the internet.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

kaz1 said:
money is everything because it is a coincidence of wants and wants give you satisfaction and therefore money=happiness
Indeed.

Listen to the people who do economics. :D:D

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

foram said:
Essays in english are written differently to essays in just about every other subject. Have you ever noticed? An economics essay is structured differently to an english essay, and it's more factual. I can easily get full marks in economics essays. English is emotional ranting supported by obscure interpretations of whatever you're writing about. Theres is no correct answer, and the only way to get a good marks is to support the teachers opinion.
Economic essays and English essays may be different in terms of content where economic essays are more factual whist English essays are more interpretation however there are similarities such as gaining skills to actually write the essay, how to structure the essay etc.

The marking guidelines are completely subjective, so the teacher can give you whatever mark they want. Meaning that because i'm asian and male, the white female english teachers are proberbly racist against me so they give me a bad mark, and I can't argue against it because the marking guidelines are completely based on the teachers opinions.

In other subjects you know when you've gotten full marks, but in english you may think you'll get full marks, and end up with 50% and vice versa. My friend spent 20 minutes doing his english assignment just for the sake of doing it, and he got 13/15, but I spent 4hrs making mine perfect, and I get 9/15. :(
you cant seriously tell me you believe that. firstly teachers dont even know who you are if you have a student number on your assessment. secondly the reason why hypothetically asians get a bad mark is because they are just not good at english nothing to do with racism. just like asians are typically good at maths. (sorry for the stereotypes).

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

foram said:
Listen to the people who do economics. :D:D
Or listen to the people who have grown up around 'wealth' and 'money' all their lives, have always received what they wanted, always gotten any toy or present that they have always wished for - and see exactly how 'happy' they are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)