• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

In your opinion what is the most important subject? (1 Viewer)

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Re: What is the most important subject?

foram said:
If not mining engineering, then i'm quite sure dentistry will pay over 100k.

Also, the spokesperson at UNSW said that travel expenses and food and lodging would be provided for mining engineers.

But i'm very sure that mining engineering pays over 100k average.

EDIT: I found a chart of average salaries of mining engineers, although this may not necessarily be the first year out of uni... http://content.mycareer.com.au/salary-centre/mining-oil-gas/mining-engineering/australia?s_rid=salary-subsector-location-go
exactly not a graduate.

undalay

HSC

foram said:
If not mining engineering, then i'm quite sure dentistry will pay over 100k.

Also, the spokesperson at UNSW said that travel expenses and food and lodging would be provided for mining engineers.

But i'm very sure that mining engineering pays over 100k average.

EDIT: I found a chart of average salaries of mining engineers, although this may not necessarily be the first year out of uni... http://content.mycareer.com.au/salary-centre/mining-oil-gas/mining-engineering/australia?s_rid=salary-subsector-location-go
http://www.mining.unsw.edu.au/Whatis/Salaries_grad_2004.htm

The median starting salary for Mining Engineering graduates nationally was $57,000 which clearly topped the list of all engineering and science degree graduates. [The median for the UNSW Mining Engineering graduates was $70,003]
Of all bachelor degree graduates, the starting salary for Mining Engineering graduates was second only to Dentistry at $60,000 and a substantial margin of $11,750 to the next highest ranked degree of $45,250 for Medicine

edit: where's your 100k? i don't see it. and mycareer is full of shit seriously. They base those stats on the job advertisements they host. (Those that can afford those advertisements are always for senior positions, etc)

justmeme

HSC
N/A

ok, joining in thread.. now..
havnt read whats already passed. someone fill me in??

(who is losing the argument atm??)

cs01001

HSC

Very very few job is gonna pay you 100K+ fresh out of uni.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

justmeme said:
ok, joining in thread.. now..
havnt read whats already passed. someone fill me in??

(who is losing the argument atm??)
There are three prominent arguments going at the moment:

1. Is money important vs not important
  2. Is mining engineering over 100 k vs not over 100 k
  3. Is English the most important subject vs not the most important subject
My view on the first one is that money is important. I am being objective not subjective. Money drives the world's economy and without money, there is no absolute happiness. Money is something that complements our happiness and ensures the continual of it.

My view on the second one is that mining engineering would not guarantee over 100k job for only a graduate. I doubt it. Even actuaries don't earn that much.

My view on the third one is that English is NOT THE MOST important subject. I have already expressed my views and they are written above or in the earlier posts.

ccc123

HSC

foram said:
I'm sure theres something fishy going on in my schools english department.
:rolleyes: Foram, I have read and critiqued the reponse you posted up. I know exactly why you are getting the marks you are in English, and doubt there is anything 'fishy' going on in your English department. I think it is far more likely that you are too narcissistic to heed the constructive criticism you have received, and have opted to make excuses instead.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

foram said:
http://www.mining.unsw.edu.au/whatis/salaries.htm

The 2006 survey of final year students in the Mining Engineering program at UNSW found the median starting package was $99,713

UNSW has some inconsistancies, nvm the 120k average salary, thats clearly wrong.
Clearly'

lyounamu said:
There are three prominent arguments going at the moment:
  1. Is money important vs not important
  2. Is mining engineering over 100 k vs not over 100 k
  3. Is English the most important subject vs not the most important subject
more like

1. is money everything or is it not
2. does a mining engineering graduate earn over 100K or do they not
3. is english important or is it not

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

ccc123 said:
:rolleyes: Foram, I have read and critiqued the reponse you posted up. I know exactly why you are getting the marks you are in English, and doubt there is anything 'fishy' going on in your English department. I think it is far more likely that you are too narcissistic to heed the constructive criticism you have received, and have opted to make excuses instead.
Theres nothing wrong with loving oneself. I always heed the constructive criticism, unless its absurd. One time, the teacher said i needed more dialogue when almost half my narrative was dialogue, and I had reached the word limit!

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

foram said:
Theres nothing wrong with loving oneself. I always heed the constructive criticism, unless its absurd. One time, the teacher said i needed more dialogue when almost half my narrative was dialogue, and I had reached the word limit!
well why didn't you ask her?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

1. Money isn't everything. I grew up around parents who were rarely ever around, and are/were obssessed with their jobs. They earned a shitload amount of money, however, that didn't necessarily create 'happiness'. Sure, I got all the games I ever wanted, all the Xbox360s, the PS1/2/3/P whatever (which, I never touched, by the way) - but there's is more to happiness and bliss than just the physical 'happiness'.

2. Hardly any graduates earn $100k first year out of uni. I think people would be lucky to earn about $70k first year out of uni.

3. English is hell important. May not be the subject that I do excellently in, but it's important (as well as enjoyable).

cs01001

HSC

Believe it or not, most unis including UNSW lie about graduate's salary to attract students...

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

cs01001 said:
Believe it or not, most unis including UNSW lie about graduate's salary to attract students...
now sombody tells me. :(

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

melanieeeee. said:
3. Spokespeople can be biased, lie, get the wrong information, express the information the wrong way etc.

Muz4PM

HSC

Having not read a post in this thread and only reading the title I can inform you that English is the most important subject. It teaches you to be articulate and express yourself competently and on occasion with flare. This is needed in I think every field, as you are required to communicate and reason your point of view to another person, whether you be a lawyer, and engineer or a carpenter. I think that the ability to articulate reasoned arguements is refined in English in the senior years where are they are taught in the junior years.

I think maths is important as well, you are taught all of the important things like money maths and such in junior years, but senior maths teaches you to be orderly in an approach to a situation, doing through a problem logically. step by step. However, I think English trumps it.

HSC

kaz1 said:
i see no point in english most people can read and write
Can they ?
I am no longer surprised at the lack of skills some people have regarding reading and writing.
English is important in the sense that it makes you think and as others have already stated, it helps you create more articulate responses, express yourself more clearly etc.
Another way that english helps is the broadening of your vocabulary. And no, I don't mean using 'big words', just words that are more 'appropriate'.
For example, when I read my 14 year old sister's assignments and see her arguments that include 'and stuff' at the end, I cringe and tell her that she writes like a 4 year old.
And yet, I no longer find this uncommon among her age group, and in fact, my age group.
In the age of 'text talk' I feel that english is one of, if not the most, important subject that we have.
Considering that the young Australians of today, are the future leaders of tomorrow, perhaps this is an appropriate example of how important this subject is in forming the minds of these leaders.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

english may be important but i do not think it is important enough to be compulsory

huhwotsthis

HSC

Shakespeare is a very important part of life, fools.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
Considering that the young Australians of today, are the future leaders of tomorrow, perhaps this is an appropriate example of how important this subject is in forming the minds of these leaders.
Actually, i would feel more comfortable if I knew the leaders of Australia had an understanding of economics rather than shakespere.

undalay

HSC

foram said:
http://www.mining.unsw.edu.au/whatis/salaries.htm

The 2006 survey of final year students in the Mining Engineering program at UNSW found the median starting package was $99,713

UNSW has some inconsistancies, nvm the 120k average salary, thats clearly wrong.
"with the cash component varying between $55k and $98k."

like i said. Packages =/= salary

you need to pay for accomodation/food/expenses which comes under the package.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)