Information on Accommodation (2 Viewers)

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Yeah, probably. I hope to God that we don't have to go to Canberra to enrol, come back to Melbourne for a few days, and go back to Canberra yet again. I don't know about PhB (Arts) in particular, but I do know that Arts and Science students will have to enrol on campus in order select their units.

EDIT: wtf stop barging in on my posts! lol

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
Oh god, I hope we don't have to go to Canberra to enroll too... That would be very annoying. Hopefully they'll have something for interstate students that they can do on a later date or through internet/phone/something.

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
That certainly would be more preferable. I'd imagine that there would be a lot of paperwork involved, so I'm not too hopeful. The only possible way I see them holding enrolment in Melbourne is if they did what they did on ANU Information Day and opened their office in the city to enrolment for Melbourne students.

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
O Mighty-Admin/Super Mod/Mod-with-a-suitably-large-avatar-of-Keira Knightley-wearing-a-low-cut-red-dress, we are humbly chastened by your waif-like figure and shall endeavour to stay on topic from now on. :shy:

In regard to accommodation, are the rooms picked randomly? If you knew someone who was going to the same residential college, then would they pair you up with them?

Furthermore, what benefits do long-term residents of a college get?

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
When I spoke to the college people at Melbourne, they said that older year students get better rooms and the more involved you get in the 'college life' the better room you get also. I have no idea if it's like that at ANU though.

Evilo

HSC
Eriny said:
Oh god, I hope we don't have to go to Canberra to enroll too..
See other huge thread i wrote. You enrol with your hall/college as a group on themonday. Don't worry they wont "forget"
Eriny said:
When I spoke to the college people at Melbourne, they said that older year students get better rooms and the more involved you get in the 'college life' the better room you get also. I have no idea if it's like that at ANU though.
At johns almost all the rooms are exactly the same size. They're are double rooms for people who either pay more, or are senior residents (3rd year seniors).
However this changes with other colleges - i knwo with ursies, if you work for the kitchen, get on the RA etc - you get a bigger room. (dont hold me to that)

HSC
Hi. I checked my online application because I applied for accommodation and it says Unilodge. It still says "Academic offer made", though. There's no way in hell I can afford to stay there. I emailed the Uni last night but aren't expecting them to do anything. B&G was my first preference, so it's not like I was trying to get into Burgman's or anything. Kind of sux that if they can't help me I'll have to try for the late rounds for a course closer to home, which still means I'll have to commute around 2 hours a day whichever uni i chose. Was on a high for a whole day until I checked this. Bummer.

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
I'm still waiting.

I'm wondering if they do it in order of application (I'm number 19241) or alphabetically by surnames (I'm an Ssss) or something.

Does it still say "Academic Offer Made" on yours? I think I may call the accommodation people on Monday if I still haven't heard anything. Gosh, this is taking forever!

Evilo

HSC
chill out guys, its just nerves. take some deep breaths and hold out untill monday (after the mail has arrvied).

Evilo

HSC
i spoke to a mate who is 2nd year. he applied for UL and got rejected. He doesnt apply for the 1st year accom guarantee and he was told he is in a queue of 500. I dont know what the deal is, but be smart about what decisions you make. I.e. i wouldn't 'reject' your first year offer unless absolutley necessary. If you do not apply for the guarantee, i would start looking for share houses now.

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
I'm waiting, but I won't be certain until the next working day begins. My application is still "Under Consideration". I should be pleased that their giving me so much attention. :rolleyes:
If you do not apply for the guarantee, i would start looking for share houses now.
Just wondering: Did you have to apply separately for the guarantee or was it part of the package?

Evilo

HSC
Schmeag said:
Just wondering: Did you have to apply separately for the guarantee or was it part of the package?
No, When you filled out that online accom form, it automatically works out that you apply for the guarantee. (they hire nerds to work it out)

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
I'm so glad they have that guarantee right now, or else I'd be majorly freaking out.

ambrose1

HSC
evilo, how does that guy not apply for that 1st year accomodation gaurantee? isn't as long as you're undergrad and live outside ACT and applied on time?

Evilo

HSC
hes a second year. He rejected his offer from johns to move to UL (thinking he had a spot there). UL can't fit him.

EDIT - Dont worry guys, i probably shouldn't have mentioned it. It was just someone said on here that they didn't apply for accom on time and were "hoping" for a place. I wonder if it was like this last year?

Last edited:

HSC
Evilo said:
i spoke to a mate who is 2nd year. he applied for UL and got rejected. He doesnt apply for the 1st year accom guarantee and he was told he is in a queue of 500. I dont know what the deal is, but be smart about what decisions you make. I.e. i wouldn't 'reject' your first year offer unless absolutley necessary. If you do not apply for the guarantee, i would start looking for share houses now.
The main deal is it's around $263 per week. This doesn't include food, and I've heard internet there can be quite expensive. All up it would cost me more than $300 per week. No way I can afford that. I don't even make that much now working a 25 hr week. My friend who's also going to ANU, who got an offer the in the preliminary round because of deferment, got on campus accommodation. It sucks. If that's the only offer I get I will have to defer (if I can). That or hope for a late round offer. If there's a queue of 500 people I would gladly swap my offer with someone else, but that's unlikely.

Evilo

HSC
any chance you could get government assistance?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)