Information on Accommodation (1 Viewer)

HSC
I know I can't get it now because of my parents income. I asked Centrelink a few days ago if the payments would be based on my parents income (even though I'd be living 3.5 odd hours away), and they said it would be.

Evilo

HSC
you have to prove you are independent
a) get your olds to sign a declaration or
b) earn acertain amout in 18 months and re-apply

There are fradulent ways to get aorund both, but im not suggesting you do that...

HSC
Thanks for that. I still don't think it's worth it. How many people in the late rounds get accomm offers? If they get some there must be vacancies somewhere. I'll try to convince the uni the best I can.

Evilo

HSC
01169 said:
How many people in the late rounds get accomm offers?.
Absolutly no idea, sorry

There are [usually] always vacancies for the start of second semester - if that helps

Last edited:

bassistx

HSC
Student accommodation, strictly speaking, is for students only.
I want to move over there, but with a bunch of people (some of which have finished uni). We want to rent a house together if it's a lot of us (say, 3 or 4) or an apartment if it's just the 2. What's the rent like? Belconnen, in particular. I want to be as close as possible so I won't need a car and I'm willing to cycle. Rent of $250 shared (or max of $125 pp for large group). I don't want to live more than 1/2 hour walking distance away (2.5km, 3km at the most). Also, the availability of apartments. Are there lots of ads regularly asking for tenants, or is it pretty much impossible to find the above mentioned?

If anyone could list the pros/cons of living in uni accommodation and outside uni, I'd appreciate it heaps. Try not to take into consideration the social factor, I know that's a huge sacrifice though lol. Sigh.

Any ideas? Thanks heaps!

Evilo

HSC
jasont will probably be able to answer the questions about rent - i have no idea.

benifits - on campus
- social
- On anu campus
- large numbers of friends
- "the network"
- meals and/or cooking facilites provided
- prices are standard - a setup fee, and then a fortnightly bill is standard for the whole year - so things like electricty or water usage will not affect you.
- Cant really be kicked out like in a share house (unless you do something really bad)

Negatives - on campus
- Smaller rooms
- People can get annoying if you spend too much time with them (lol)
- food/facilities - communal living (might want privacy)
- no internet alternatives
- too many things to do?

bassistx

HSC
Hahaha thanks!
I'm not too concerned about the food factor. I'm vegan and I have a gluten allergy plus a slight case of OCD so I don't trust other people to cook for me because I'm scared they don't wash their hands lol. Also, I'd probably use all my own utensils and stuff, so I don't need their pots/pans/whatever. I'm wondering if this can be reduced from the fee?
The standard bills are pretty awesome and stuff, but the rates are so high. I couldn't afford to spend that much.

Small rooms are an issue. And privacy is definitely an issue.
Although I'll be doing science, I need a LOT of room. And heaps of privacy "to be with my thoughts". Art is a big part of "hobbying". With the rooms so small and no backyard or balcony or whatever to dry works, it'd be very.... Restricting. I want heaps of room, good sunlight, and no noises in the middle of the night keeping me awake (God, I live next to a train track).

Evilo

HSC
fair enough, then it would probably be better for you to either live off campus or stay at 'self catered' accomodation.

bassistx said:
I'm wondering if this can be reduced from the fee?
not to my knowledge. If you're referring to catered colleges - the rate is standard whether you eat the meals or not. I don't think they will give you a discount. If you are referring to a self-catered college - you have to bring your own utensils anyway.

RE-Space

On campus accomodation (anywhere) has never been known for large amounts of space - thats just a fact of life. We all deal with what we have and make the most of the space available. Having said that, UL will probably have the most room out of all the halls/colleges (and subsequently the most expensive)

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
Spending any more than a few minutes in college bathrooms will leave a nasty fragrance (like cologne, but made of fecal matter) on your clothes and skin if someone took a massive deuce before you went in.

bassistx

HSC
Hmmm alrighties. I guess then I'd be better off sharing a house/apartment. Even if I had to pay more than intended (I doubt it'd be over 150pw), it's still a lot less. Then share bills. Get some good cable internet running. Some sunlight and PRIVATE bathroom! God, do I have an issue with bathrooms or what?! We have 3 bathrooms at home and one of them is practically mine (literally "queen... of the toilet seat!"). I hate sharing the bathroom, it's just gross. Unhygenic. And kind of scary, I don't want to think about it lol.

Is there a curfew or lights out on campus? Just wondering.

I'm such a hard person to live with lol.

bassistx

HSC
More questions...!

1. How many powerpoints in a room? I know that sounds weird but lol...
2. How many windows? Are they big?
3. How close is uni accom. to hospitals, chemists, banks, medical centres, shopping centres, etc.? Town centre, basically.
4. How big are the mirrors in the bathrooms?
5. Do the rooms have air con/fans/heating?
6. What about vacuuming? Do you bring your own vacuum cleaner, does a maid or something do it or do you hire one from the uni or do they give you a vacuum cleaner as part of the rent?
7. How big are the wardrobes? Door-sized?
8. What's the common room like? How many T.V.s, playstation, whatever?? Anything?
9. How close in uni accom. to parks and such recreational places? :)
10. How close is uni accom. to good clubs? No pubs please.
11. How big are the beds? Are they king-sized singles?
12. There was a question somewhere about a towel/clothes rack in another thread... Dry cleaning is a waste of power. Isn't there a hills hoist or something we can use??
13. You can lock the rooms, right? lol.
14. Storage?? Do they have big lockers or anything?? And I don't mean the gym haha.
15. Do they have inspections every so often or whatever?
16. You can't connect cable (internet/tv) to your room, can you?
17. Other than a bed and kitchen utilities, is there anything else included? Bedside tables, tallboys, dressing tables, lamps, etc...
18. Can you fit a couch and stuff in a room?
19. Do they filter/censor the net? Can you use hotmail, messengers, etc?
20. Do they have separate hostels for girls/guys or is it "all together now"?
21. How long are the bathroom lines, usually? lol. I know it's a weird thing to ask, but it's especially annoying during the mornings. What times are they most crowded? Or... hang on... Does every room have an ensuite?
22. As I mentioned before, do they have a lights out or curfew type thing?
23. Are the rooms opened by keys or swiping an ID card?

Evilo

HSC
bassistx said:
Is there a curfew or lights out on campus? Just wondering..
Cut the noise down at 10pm and almost 24hrs during exam periods.

No Curfew [or lights out]- Remember this isnt school camp, its uni - everyone has freedom now :D - You can do whatever you like, whenever. Theres only a few compulsery events a year, and apart from that provided you pay the money and don't break the law they won't care. Having said that (making the accom sound like a hotel) - the other events are all optional - they won't force you to do anything.

bassistx

HSC
lol I know it's not camp, but I mean there has to be a time where, say, if I walked in at 4am, people would start screaming to shut up lol. Or nobody will care? 10pm is really early. Way too early.

Evilo

HSC
1. How many powerpoints in a room? I know that sounds weird but lol...
Most basic rooms (i.e. everything standard except UL) has 2 power points (i.e. 2 spots in the wall- so thats why we strongly suggest bring power boards.

Depends which hall to be honest. They are all of legal size - reasonbly big. But each hall has a different shaped window. If you want a better description tell me a hall

3. How close is uni accom. to hospitals, chemists, banks, medical centres, shopping centres, etc.? Town centre, basically.

Hospitals - 10min drive, 20min bus from civic
Chemist - one on campus - 3min (in union court)
bank - which bank? - 3min (in union court)
Medical Centre - 4min on campus (near union court)
Shopping - 15min walk - civic shops - everything from bigw, aldi, sorts stores etc - its a westfield
Clubs - 15min (25 if your with chicks in heels *sigh*)
City centre - 15min (i can bike up 5)
Town centre (is woden - similar name to avoid being confused) - 20min bus (near hospital)

4. How big are the mirrors in the bathrooms?
Most halls have a full length mirror in the bathroom, as for your room, really depends which hall - some past students have stuck their own mirrors in the inside cupboard door.

5. Do the rooms have air con/fans/heating?
heating in all colleges - yes. Aircon - only in unilodge. Most people who want it bring their own fan - tbh its not really needed with the "double" brick buildings

6. What about vacuuming? Do you bring your own vacuum cleaner, does a maid or something do it or do you hire one from the uni or do they give you a vacuum cleaner as part of the rent?
Some halls will have cleaners come in once a week to vaccum the room
Other halls (which don't have this cleaning service) will have vaccums on every hallway for those that want it.

Depends which hall - Ursies, Johns, Bruce i think have 2 door or something like that. Burghmann, and B&G all have a "tardis" - small 1m^2 box in one corner which you can walk into - hard to explain.

8. What's the common room like? How many T.V.s, playstation, whatever?? Anything?
Large screen tv or projector, connected to foxtel (inc some international channels)
Sometimes students donate gaming consoles to the place i.e. johns had an xbox last year.

<30metres to the nearest oval

10. How close is uni accom. to good clubs? No pubs please.
See other threads i posted names and websites somewhere else)- there was a clubs guide. Also you will go on a bar crawl and visit most of the main ones - moose/icmb/shooters/acaedemy/nitro/cube)

11. How big are the beds? Are they king-sized singles?
Everywhere except johns has singles (for std room), King sized beds at johns
You can "try" and request a bigger bed if you're really tall like myself

12. There was a question somewhere about a towel/clothes rack in another thread... Dry cleaning is a waste of power. Isn't there a hills hoist or something we can use??
I agree with this, thats why i suggested the rack. Some halls have "drying rooms" - from memory burgman and B&G.

13. You can lock the rooms, right? lol.
yes lol - you're a big boy/girl now :).

14. Storage?? Do they have big lockers or anything?? And I don't mean the gym haha.
For suitcases and things like that most places will have box rooms to store that junk for long periods. Otherwise all your stuff goes into your room.

15. Do they have inspections every so often or whatever?
Depends which hall. Johns doesnt have inspections because the cleaners will notice if there is an ongoing problems. With the other halls it really depends - they will tell you in advance (i.e. more than a weeks notice)

16. You can't connect cable (internet/tv) to your room, can you?
no outside antenna

17. Other than a bed and kitchen utilities, is there anything else included? Bedside tables, tallboys, dressing tables, lamps, etc...
Depends which hall

18. Can you fit a couch and stuff in a room?
You'll be pushing it in a basic room - but wait till you get here before you buy all this stuff. See how much space you really do have.

19. Do they filter/censor the net? Can you use hotmail, messengers, etc?
No filtering. You're allowed to look at adult material on "SDA" (paid for internet). Howver they don't like it if you do that on your infocommons (free internet). Hotmail, messenger etc are allowed anywhere - including comuter labs

20. Do they have separate hostels for girls/guys or is it "all together now"?
all together.
As for bathrooms, some halls have seperate boys/girls bathrooms (b&G, Ursula) the others are just all cubical style... you get used to it - tbh you hardly run into anyone.

21. How long are the bathroom lines, usually?
I've never seen a queue to go to the bathroom (or shower) in my whole year on campus - there's ample facilities.

Does every room have an ensuite?
no - only certain "larger" rooms - you would know if you got one - its alot mroe expensive

22. As I mentioned before, do they have a lights out or curfew type thing?
Nope, ou have a key/card to get into the building after hours, and a key to get into your room. It's your life - you can do what you like

23. Are the rooms opened by keys or swiping an ID card?
Again depends which hall - Johns, B&g, and maybe bruce? have a disc card style thing - its metal and looks exactly like a 'dog tag" - it slides in the door on its side - hard to explain. Ursies, Burgmann have basic key style ones. Burgmann, Fenner and B&G have swipe card access to get into the building. UL is all swipe card based

No probs.

Evilo

HSC
bassistx said:
lol I know it's not camp, but I mean there has to be a time where, say, if I walked in at 4am, people would start screaming to shut up lol. Or nobody will care? 10pm is really early. Way too early.
If you come in a 4am making noise then ppl would be like STFU! Quiet time is at 10pm, so no talking in the hallways etc. Everyone is in their own room (usually with a big door that absorbs [most] noise. So walking around, opening your own door etc shouldn't disturb anyone. People get grouchy if you come home drunk and make noise and/or keep your sub on past 10.

10pm is early - but we have to be mindful of everyone there. I go to sleep at 12 and i usually have my door wide open until that time. At 9-10 i convert from speakers to headphones. If anyone comes in to say hi i will close the door to chat. Just gotta be mindful of others.

bassistx

HSC
Sorry, another question...

I'm curious about postal mail... I mean, do the office give it to you or do you have like a letter box or something?

Evilo

HSC
bassistx said:
Thanks heaps! I was mainly referring to self-catered rooms :)
ok - i havent been to fenner so i have no idea.

B&G - about 2m (high)*1m (wide) with a top hinge
Fenner - no idea
UL - see room plan - from memory it was the length of the wall facing the outside (unless there's a pillar).

3. How close is uni accom. to hospitals, chemists, banks, medical centres, shopping centres, etc.?
All those times apply for B&G, Half them for UL.
Fenner is awkward because its north of the city (taken less time to get into the city, but mroe time to get into anu) (see map)

B&G has the "tardis", UL has a basic sized standing wardrobe in the room (cant remember if there were draws too). No idea about fenner.

50m for b&G, No idea for fenner or UL

10. How close is uni accom. to good clubs?
B&G - 10-15min
UL - 3min
Fenner - No idea

B&G has a bedside table, table, chair
UL has similar but newer (and bigger)

Evilo

HSC
bassistx said:
Sorry, another question...

I'm curious about postal mail... I mean, do the office give it to you or do you have like a letter box or something?
Most of the halls have a PO Box which they collect mail from on a daily basis.
These letters are then sorted into pidgeon holes associated by Alphabetical Surname. You then take your letters from that pidgeon hole

Packages are kept behind the reception. They leave you a small note in (or above) your pidgeon hole as a reminder to collect it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)