• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Information on Accommodation (1 Viewer)

bassistx

HSC
Ahhh, okay.

Thank you! Hmmm. I'll definitely be considering UL.

Kinda sucky about the pidgeon holes. They should be closed lol. Or are they?
Sorry. I'm too curious lol.

Evilo

HSC
"considering"!!!! i hope you have applied dude? (if you're going to anu this year) did you see the anu accom website, im pretty sure applications have closed. http://accom.anu.edu.au/UAS/186.html

Nah they are not closed, most of the time they are near reception so they keep an eye on things. But i spose people could take your mail - but whats the benifit if that? I havent heard of anything ever been taken from the pidgeon holes.

bassistx

HSC
lol. HSC YEAR = 2008. I'm still in high school for God's sake lol.
And I don't plan on going to uni until 2011. Complicated. But I was just curious :p

Evilo

HSC
oh good lol, i was like Shit! lol.
yeah np, no harm in asking questions.

Reminds me of the open day tours - i took around 6 groups - 3 of the groups were for year 11 students.

Evilo

HSC
Tbh the rooms are basic, but thats life. Its part of the experience, and its what you make of it.

Also UL2 will be built by the time you arrive (well by midsem this year lol)- so you've got one more place to look at :).

Edit - make sure you come down to the open days sometime between now and 2011 :) lol. Seeing the accomodation is much easier than describing it on BOS. :)

bassistx

HSC
lol haha :)
only if you're going to show me around, personally! will you still be around then or graduate? lol

Evilo

HSC
depends if i do honours lol

actually speaking of which - i found out that i had taken Schmeag (another bos user) around Johns on ANU open day lol

bassistx

HSC
lol! Well I'll be sure to introduce myself lol.
Come on, do honours! Better yet, masters! PhD! Anything? lol.

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Woo! I got an offer from John XXIII. See you there, Evilo! :)

By the way, what is the telecommunications system like in ANU? Do calls cost the same amount when directed beyond the campus?

EDIT:
Edit - make sure you come down to the open days sometime between now and 2011 lol. Seeing the accomodation is much easier than describing it on BOS.
Definitely. Personally, I think that most colleges have pretty similar facilities, but there are some minute differences that you'd spot if you get a tour over there. You'd also be able to get the feel of what each college is like. As much as Evilo denies it, each college does have a different atmosphere to them (ie Ursula, a bit nerdy; Johns, a bit snobby/posh). You can't really get an idea of the atmosphere unless you've been there, really.

And yes, having correspondence with "Evilo" for several months over BoS whilst not knowing that I'd actually met him before is quite coincidental lol. Though I did have my suspicions beforehand.

Last edited:

ambrose1

HSC
attn schmeag: did you get an offer on the weekend???? does the offer come up on your email before it comes up on the anu page??
well done on getting into John, fingers crossed i'll be joining you.

Evilo

HSC
Schmeag said:
Woo! I got an offer from John XXIII. See you there, Evilo! :)
well done mate, well done
Schmeag said:
By the way, what is the telecommunications system like in ANU? Do calls cost the same amount when directed beyond the campus?
Its based on a prepaid system. You put money on at the front desk and then yeah go from there. Your room phone has a pin number so people cant make expensive prank calls using your money. There are free calls within johns - unfortunatly for johns - its the only college "basic" to be unable to charge for anu calls. Thats because johns isnt owned by the anu. Its hard to explain but overall i think its better.
Schmeag said:
You can't really get an idea of the atmosphere unless you've been there, really.
+1, i wish i had been to open day.

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Hey ambrose1, yeah I got one just today--3:23:02PM Sunday to be exact. My application was Under Consideration since the early afternoon on Friday. Funny thing is, even though I have the email confirming my offer, my application status is still Under Consideration.:lol:

There are free calls within johns - unfortunatly for johns - its the only college "basic" to be unable to charge for anu calls.
So we can't actually call people in say, Bruce, for free?

Evilo

HSC
unfortunatly no, but bruce is 50m up the road....

yosemite sam

HSC
How easy is it to get into one of the five share rooms at Unilodge? Are there many/high demand? And a friend of mine is doing the same course as me...could we be in the same room or would it be a get what your given and then see if you can swap later on thing? Thanks...ive deferred for next year btw.

Evilo

HSC
well apparently it is a challenge but i don't know. I would call them to find out. As per room allocation, you would have to contact reception there and say you've both been given a place and would like to be put together. Sorry i cant give you any more information, speculation seems to create hysteria here.

yosemite sam

HSC
thats alright, thanks for your help.
we've got a year to figure it out anyway.
would applying earlier help? if i called them later in the year and said that we're both going and would prefer a placement together?

Evilo

HSC
i think you would probably have the same chance (unless you applied in like the last week before applications closed). TBH if you politley call up when you have both been confirmed places, im sure they will be happy to put you together... well i dont see why not? it won't hurt anyone

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Do you know how many people arrive in the halls/colleges each year? Do you know how many are arriving at John this year? How many people live at John at any one time?

Evilo

HSC
320 residents @ Johns, approx 120 of those are new students.
Re other halls - it really depends tbh - i.e. in 2006 ursies between 2/3rds and 3/4ths of residents left, this year 3/4ths or ursies are staying - it changed from year to year.

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
In regard to Internet usage at college, because every Mb of downloading contributes to the, won't using MSN actually be rather expensive. How are you supposed to keep in touch with people from outside?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)