Information on Accommodation (1 Viewer)

ArtOfLosing

HSC
Self catered accomodation question:
Ok, i know you need to bring your own cutlery, plates, bowls, etc. BUT do you need to bring cooking tools like a grater or a sieve, or are these provided?

a8o

HSC
bring them if yo uwant to use them...nothing really provided except stove, cupboard and benchspace.

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
I applied for the 4 catered halls (bruce johns ursies and burgmann) but was accepted for Fenners (non-catered)... I'm pretty screwed. Is there a chance i can "unscrew" myself from this situation?

I've emailed the uni, hope the reply will bring good news

/pray

timmyh

HSC
thats pretty damn unlucky, missing out on all 4... ive never heard of that happening before. I guess calling the uni and pleading is ur best bet... and if all else fails... try getting into one for 2nd semester (some of the internats/ppl on exchange leave, vacating rooms)

ArtOfLosing

HSC
Hmmm... most people seem to have recieved their accomodation offers already - I haven't??? My sister got hers last week and most people here seem to have recieved the news. I'd really like to know where I'm going to end up so I can start organising things to pack (which will differ between catered/self options). Should I call/email someone or just keep waiting?

timmyh

HSC
As far as i know u should have been told by now... give them a call, thats what they are there for... phone is better than email... u get a direct response.. at a big uni like anu emails sometimes go unattended

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
Does Fenner Hall have T3 internet connection? and does anyone know how much it costs per every megabyte of download?

Evilo

HSC
not sure about t3 but this might help
(summary of fees for all halls and colleges - inc internet access charge)
http://accom.anu.edu.au/UAS/236.html

accom DOT anu DOT edu DOT au/UAS/236 DOT html (incase the 1st link doesnt work ;) )

cuttingedge

HSC
N/A
Hi all, I will be starting postgrad studies at the ANU starting with a pg. dip. and hopefully moving on to a Masters.

Pretty keen to stay at Toad Hall since it's geared towards postgrad old farts like me (hehe), and would like to find out more what's the life at Toad is like. The website was rather scanty in terms of pictures and stuff.

Any Toad residents here able to comment on it?

Last edited:

Venusian

HSC
Perhaps you should give em a call and arrange a tour (all the other halls/colleges do it so im sure they would too)

btw you know its not catered right? there was this guy last year from pakastan who couldnt cook (ie his wife/servants did it all for him at home) and he lost like 10kg in a month, so they shipped him to johns, where he then couldnt even use the microwave to reheat his special halal meals and then would rudely demand any female around to do it for him - which didnt go down well at all! he also abused the office staff and a female sr when they wouldnt do his ironing, and would leer at girls - creepy scary man!

so yeah my impression of toad ressies is rather low but im sure theyre not all bad!

ArtLife

HSC
cuttingedge said:
Hi all, I will be starting postgrad studies at the ANU starting with a pg. dip. and hopefully moving on to a Masters.

Pretty keen to stay at Toad Hall since it's geared towards postgrad old farts like me (hehe), and would like to find out more what's the life at Toad is like. The website was rather scanty in terms of pictures and stuff.

Any Toad residents here able to comment on it?
Hi Old Fart! I am too (at 24, I'm considered aged!) - I don't live at Toad Hall, I'm at B&G, which does have a postgrad block (A Block) which you could request to be in.

B&G's quite nice - self catered. The main reason I didn't stay at Toad was that there is no sink in your room - seems like a little thing, but having to clean your teeth and do all your personal grooming stuff in a bathroom with everyone else is a bit...confronting!

I'm not in the Postgrad block as I'm only undergrad, but from talking to a few post-grad students they said it was quite quiet in their block as most postgrads are Med students and studying a lot!

cuttingedge

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the responses! Thought the forum was a lil' quiet but came in anyway.

Unfortunately I won't be able to take a tour physically since I am located in Singapore, but I did my undergrad days at UC and found that it was great there!

Self-catered halls are fine for me. Never did like catered food (ick!) and I kinda like the freedom to cook or eat out depending on available time!

But dang, that Pakistani musta been a well-off boy or some blue-blood back home eh? Quite funny, actually!

B&G sounds good though, probably list it down as one of the possible choices as well.

I think it's quite fun to be freshening up in a shared area though! Back then, it's amusing to see what the mates were like in the mornin', when they were either too sleepy (or hungover) and the "Good mornin's" turns out something like..."Grrraagghhh..." :D

What would the population at Toad be like (eg. good mixture, more aussies, more asians etc)?

I found that I very much prefer to stay where the aussies are because it never seems to get too boring with ya guys around, but asians tend to stick to their own cliques, which I find bloody annoying. Hell, I am an asian myself but I don't like that sorta stuff, kinda ruins the whole experience as an international student :p

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
i can see where you are coming from yes. Dining hall dynamics can be really interesting for one.

ikkyu33

HSC
toad hall is pretty much all asian postgrads. try b&g or fenner

Evilo

HSC
ikkyu33 said:
toad hall is pretty much all asian postgrads. try b&g or fenner
Im pretty social and im yet to meet someone from toad....

RocketScientist

HSC
hey all, im thinkin of stayin at the UniLodge on the ANU Campus. I would like some advice or hints n tips from ppl who live there if thats possible n mabye some info from a students point of view regarding the costs of living there, thanx

BFF

HSC
Ursula Hall

At open day I looked at the catered colleges and Ursula hall seemed good. However after reading these forums it seems like they have a bad reputation, socially.

Perhaps someone from the hall could explain what the social life is like at Ursula. I mean do they go out and party or are they always studying. I wouldnt call myself a hardcore partyer but I like to get out and have a good time.

Evilo

HSC
PM sent

for anyone else with questions about ANU colleges, send me a PM. I can answer Ursula, Johns and UniLodge questions the best. But i have friends/been on tours of the others and have a pretty good idea about all the colleges overall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)