Information on Accommodation (1 Viewer)

Evilo

HSC
Re: UniLodge vs Residences

It is usually due to asians smoking in their room, and burnt toast etc. The firebrigade arrives everytime, and your supposed to leave the room but nobody does. People get 3 warnings in 90 days before they are fined.
Few stories i've heard
1) People cook kebabs etc in the microwave which is wrapped in aliminum foil. When the microwave fills with smoke they wonder what is actually happening (actually occured while i was there).
2) They cook toast, it pops up 3/4 done, then they turn the toaster to the higest setting, then pop it back down and jump into the shower.

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Re: Applying For Accomodation! Must Know!

This thread looked lonely, so I thought I'd post here to bring in some cheer.

I applied and just attended my interview at John XXIII not six hours ago. Thought it went well. I spoke with Ken and the president of the college, whose name I cannot quite remember. The answers you gave to my questions were quite helpful, Evilo! It made me actually sound like I knew what I was applying for. I didn't know your real name though, so I couldn't give them my insider source of information when they asked. I guess I should thank neo for causing all the controversy regarding John. It gave me a lot of questions to ask as well, which always goes down well with the interviewers. They answered in a similar way to how Evilo has been fiercely rebuking neo's and other's accusations. Anyway, thanks.

If the interviewers were impressed, I'll see you in John next year. If not, I'll probably be off to Ursies. Ciao!

Oh yes, just one more question: do you have a musical band at John?

ambrose1

HSC

hi guys i'm having my interview for John on Monday
i understand if you feel uncomfortable giving away information that may give me an unfair advantage but i am absolutely desperate to get in so any advice would be invaluable such as should i ask them lots of questions, should i have a thorough knowledge of the college and its history, should i emphasise the sport side of things etc.

thanks

Evilo

HSC

ambrose1 - pm sent

Shmeag - congratulations - well done for the interview. It sounds like all went well so well done. The president of the college was Sean Sammon (FYI). Aha so they sensed a spy had told you what to say?? Well i'm not trying to give an advantage, they can see through you if you're fake, so being youself is the most important. But yeah a few tips on what to expect won't hurt ;) . I'm glad the blokes also responded in a similar way to me, neo_o (and others) have biased representations of johns, and the rivalry that occurs could also have something to do with it. I had a great time this year, i sure will next year too. If you get into anu/johns etc, pm me with your name and ill introduce myself (my real self lol) on o-week (lol ill actually realease my real name!!!). Last time the 2nd ++ years came on toga night (wednesday) - was a great night (well all of oweek was anyway). Actually i caught up with the person who was the equivelent of me on bos that night. lol he introduced himself and im like "you dont happen to be on bos do you? " lol

RE question - yes we have numerous bands. Theres a few "rock" style bands - i.e. electric guitars, drums etc - (not hard rock), but just classics. Theres a bunch of poeple who make another little band (keyboard, vocals, and saxaphone), and then theres people who play with other halls/colleges bands, and just people who jam with whoever. It will all change next year, because people will come and go.

Good luck all, have a great holiday

PS - although it may sound obvious, if you havent already - make sure you have ID (proof of age, or a driver lisence from a state/territory) - otherwise you'll be a bit dissapointed on oweek bc you cant drink. If you're under 18 then they have organised non-drinking events.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC

why do they have to interview potential students to live on the colleges?

Evilo

HSC

A High Way Man said:
why do they have to interview potential students to live on the colleges?
Due to the popularity of johns, yes they do. They get something like 280 applications, for about 120 positions

ambrose1

HSC

but they don't necessarily interview all 280 applicatants?? i figured this out cos they only have 6 days of interviews and could only do about 18 each day meaning they could probably only do about 120 face to face interviews max. maybe i'm wrong, i dunno:eek: :eek:

Evilo

HSC

they shortlist, plus they only interview people who have put johns as their 1st preference.

Heart.O.Gold

HSC
ilikehats said:
Putting in Ursula as my first choice. I heard it's pretty quiet and nerdy... but then again, so am I to a large extent. I felt like I'd fit best there.
Second choice would be Bruce.
What have other potential 08 students applied for?
Hey, i also put Ursula as my 1st choice, but i don't care where i stay...they all sound the same. I;ll see you down at ANU i guess???

ALSO: what are they expecting us to put in "Please list any special attributes or experiences which would help you contribute to the community:" and "Extra Curricular Activities:"do they expect alot, cause i was only consistant above average marks at school, and i did try out for prefect/peer support but i didn't get in (the whole thing is rigged, its a giant conspiracy led by THE NEW WORLD ORDER)...anyway, do they take it very serious? surely they can't expect every application to be the dux of their school and be the perfect model citizen?

i don't expect a reply quickly, this corridor on the forum is slow... i might start an actual post...

</needless rambling>

Evilo

HSC
they just want a few things to see what you are like, what sports you play, your interests, your hobbies etc. Just be yourself and write a few things (they dont have to be prefect/peer support etc).

Ninho

HSC
Is it too late to apply now?

Also, which are the best colleges? A bit of a broad question that will depend largely on which college the answerer is in, but nonetheless... which are the most social, etc?

Kmahal1990

HSC
What are you allowed to bring to your room

Hey just wondering if i lived in one of the halls, am i allowed to bring my desktop computer and things like that? Or is the space really cramped you really only have a place to sleep and study?

And can someone give me a run down of the halls? Which one is the most friendly one?

Evilo

HSC
Re: What are you allowed to bring to your room

yeah, sure - bring a computer. Most people have either a computer or a laptop anyway. It gets a bit cramped when you're bringing stuff like golf clubs etc, but really if you're smart, pack things away in the shelving/cupboards provided - it isnt really a problem.

have a read of other threads regarding the last question. Theres plenty of information.

Evilo

HSC
Re: What are you allowed to bring to your room

the only things you arn't allowed to bring are things like fan forced heaters, guns, drugs etc. apart from that people have half size fridges, 26" LCD Screens, computer servers, more that one desktop (record is 5 desktops - dont worry he only had 2 screens lol), printers, guitars, tvs etc Having said that, it gets a bit cramped if you have all these things on your room.

bikapika

HSC
Choosing between Burgmann and Ursula

Guys please help me about deciding on which residential college to put as my first preference! Thanks for all your help on my previous posts btw
May I ask:

1.) What are the stereotypes of Burgmann and Ursula?
2.) Howz the cultural diversity of both colleges(xx% anglo, xx%asian xx%europeans .etc)?
3.) Which states do the majority of the residences come from? (xx%nsw, xx%vic? .etc)
4.) What are the gender ratios for both colleges?
5.) How frequent are the social events for both colleges? Every weekend?
6.) Say if I'm a resident of the Ursula college, will I be able to join social events of say, Johns?
7.) In reference to the self-catered colleges, are there always vacancies available since they are so large? I'm worried that if I don't like the catered colleges (ie. if i dont like the food) I may not be able to get into the self-catered ones later.

Thanks people I'm looking forward to see you next year!

bikapika

HSC
Re: Choosing between Burgmann and Ursula

Oh another thing,

As the internet downloading costs is expensive, can I buy one of those dial-up internet cards and use it with the phone installed at my room?

Evilo

HSC

1) 2) i already answered via pm (i hdnt realised you had posted here too)
3) probably from NSW, VIC mostly, but having said that - there are many people from everywhere - international, and all the other states. Some people are also from rural areas etc - its just a good diversity like that.
4) - already answered usually around 50/50 (if possible)
5) Well it depends which hall, theres always something to do. Nothing is compulsery (except a meeting twice a term?) so you can choose what you want to do. It really depends on how active the college Residents Association (RA) is, at johns there is usually something social every 2 weeks. Sporting events run throughout the whole year, so there is something to support, do etc. And theres always training sessions for those sports. You can get as involved as you want (or visa versa)
6) Generally not, unless you're invited. Some of the halls (i..e burgmann and johns) sometimes have combined tavern nights and things like that. there is also inter college events like, intercollege sports, arts events, also intercollege ball etc.
7) short answer yes, but you would still have to apply to tranfer, and (depending on your contract) - you may have to break a contracual agreement. Read the terms of your contract before you sign (i.e. you could always sign up for 1st semester only)
8) For most halls (except for burgmann, and Unilodge- to my knwoledge) will now be charged at 2.5cm/mb from next year ($25/gig). RE - dialup - I dont believe that will work, as you dont have a dedicated phone like (its a server based phone system with ~8 out lines). I have heard people trying it, but not being to succesful. At the end of the day, its hard to beat the current deal, because really the only alternative option is wireless modems - which are too expensive. Plus you are given 10mb/day allowance on ANU computers (not in your room) for free.
FYI - overseas calling cards will work (if you want to 'phone' out)

bikapika

HSC

thx a lot man

is the ursula college dropping their price on internet download as well? cuz on the handout on info day today in sydney it still says 7c for ursula

do you guys find it difficult to concentrate on studies in such a social environment?

Evilo

HSC

wow i thought ursula was going to drop their internet prices too, perhaps giving them a call would be appropiate (and then letting everyone know).

2nd question - its about finding a balance (and been keen for study). If you do decide to completly limit your social experience, at the very least make the most of o-week. You really only get to enjoy the full week once.

bikapika

HSC

well there is no way that im gona limite my social experience lol its the other around im worrying about : )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)