• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Information on Accommodation (1 Viewer)

Evilo

HSC
I dont use msn heaps, i have my gmail forwarded through to my anu email (so it doesnt cost to download emails) - i can set this up for you if need be.

The only time i use msn is when i am on an info commons computer and/or i have some credit to kill. If you had noticed i'm using an old version of msn - so it saves me quota too :)

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
Schmeag said:
In regard to Internet usage at college, because every Mb of downloading contributes to the, won't using MSN actually be rather expensive. How are you supposed to keep in touch with people from outside?
msn is actually one of the least taxing forms of internet usage if you manage to disable 'shared folders' and limit file transfers.

ambrose1

HSC
hey guys. i just got accepted into John College and am extremely excited and can't wait to get to know some of you. i know this may seem paranoid but how strictly do they enforce the 48 hour acceptance rule? where all emails given out on friday cos i've had some probs with my email and i had to get them to send it to another email address and only just accepted. its probably nothing so sorry bout this.
thanx

Evilo

HSC
first of all congratulations! And welcome to johns!
tbh i dont think they would care because it was a weekend. But if you're really worried call johns reception and just say what happened.
Contact Johns said:
Email: enquiries.johnxxIII@anu.edu.au
Phone: +61 2 6279 4999
Fax: +61 2 6248 6734
Its better safe than sorry lol.
Hope this helps and see you next year.

ambrose1

HSC
do john or any other college have a facebook page?? are there any other website/page about john other than the official site?? its just nice to get a feel for the place.
thanx

Evilo

HSC
ill pm you, yeah there is heaps of johns facebook pages.

bassistx

HSC
A few more annoying questions :D

1. Do the kitchens have umm them air sucking things? lol. You know what I mean. Those things on top of the stove that are like... oh, you know!!
2. Can you smell it down the hall if somebody's cooking something? Sorry lol I'm a bit sensitive to the smell of meats (esp. fish) cooking :S
3. Are the rooms clean? This question might not make a lot of sense, but... I mean, are the carpets clean? Do the rooms gather dust and stuff quickly? I have hayfever and allergies etc. so it has to be really clean...
4. Do they have carpets? lol. I'd prefer wooden floors...
5. Do you have to bring your own bed sheets or do they give you spares?
7. Can you hear people bonking? That's just disturbing... The walls better be thick lol.
8. Do people smoke in the rooms? The only way to get rid of smoke smell is shampoo the carpets and scrub all of the walls....
9. Do they have fire alarm detector things in each room or only in the hallways?
10. Do they have at least 1 fire extinguisher per hallway?
11. Do the windows have mozzie netting stuff?
12. Do they windows open easy or are they rusty? I'm weak :(
13. If you blow out a light, does the uni replace it?
14. Are there nails in the walls where you can hang stuff or are you not allowed to drill into the walls?
15. Do they provide cleaning agents/products or do you have to buy your own?
16. Are the wardrobes built-in? Otherwise, that's wasting space...
17. Do the wardrobes include drawers?
18. What colour are the walls? I know, silly, but I don't want any sort of weird colours... lol
19. Is there any way you can plant stuff? Can you like, pay for a patch of land or something and grow your own veggies? I want to do that so bad :(
20. How often do the buses operate? Every 15min? What about trains?

Tank youuuuuuuuu.

Evilo

HSC
A few more annoying questions :D
ok

1. Do the kitchens have umm them air sucking things? l
yes, actually probably they have gone a bit over the top with them.
In unilodge they have them but "they dont work" (according to a mate who is living there atm)

2. Can you smell it down the hall if somebody's cooking something?
nah, not really

3. Are the rooms clean?
yeah
carpets clean?
They're vaccumed every so often - i spose you vaccum as much as you like. They're not regularly professionally cleaned though.
Do the rooms gather dust and stuff quickly? Only at a normal rate with things like tv's and computers.
4. Do they have carpets?
yes, everywhere, exceptfor common areas

5. Do you have to bring your own bed sheets or do they give you spares?
BYO. (usually)

7. Can you hear people bonking?
My mate: "ummm BG apparently so, but I never did, though apparently I was the perpetrator...and UL, I doubt it, unless you're in a multishare"

8. Do people smoke in the rooms?
No

9. Do they have fire alarm detector things in each room or only in the hallways?
detector in each room - a bloody loud siren in each hallway.

10. Do they have at least 1 fire extinguisher per hallway?
well yes, its all within industry specifications (the halls/colleges are liscenced as boarding houses).

11. Do the windows have mozzie netting stuff?
yes

12. Do they windows open easy or are they rusty?
prety easy

13. If you blow out a light, does the uni replace it?
yes, you just log a job with maintenance, and they usually fix it the next day

14. Are there nails in the walls where you can hang stuff or are you not allowed to drill into the walls?
No drilling - use blue tack or those comand adhesive thngs

15. Do they provide cleaning agents/products or do you have to buy your own?
BYO

16. Are the wardrobes built-in? Otherwise, that's wasting space...
Nah not built in (well bg is different because of the tardis - its a frame secured to the wall, but its not 'built in' by definition.

17. Do the wardrobes include drawers?
At bg its like a 'pidgeon hole' built into the tardis (has a strip of wood at the front to stop your stuff from falling out..
UL - yes

18. What colour are the walls?
bg from memory it was a creme colour
At UL it was either blue or purple or something like that, (they used a colour coordiator to make theplace look nice)

19. Is there any way you can plant stuff? Can you like, pay for a patch of land or something and grow your own veggies? I want to do that so bad :(
from memory either bg or burgmann had a planting area, i spose nobody would care if you planted a tree? its uni property, if it looks nice i doubt the grounds men would remove it. No harm in asking.

20. How often do the buses operate?
15min sounds about right - more in peack times, less late at night. No trains in canberra - its only busses. I would buy a bike once you're down here.

Tank youuuuuuuuu
No problems

bassistx

HSC
I already have a bike, only riden it once. I think it'll last 'til then lol. Otherwise, I dont' mind getting another.
Sucks about the trains. But don't trains operate between Syd/Can?
The wall colours sound a bit... Blegh. I mean, the blues and purples... That's hospital-like. I think I'd feel a little sick (like I were in a doctor's waiting room) or a bit crazy like in a mental institution. Hmm. Not good.

I want to plant veggies lol. I'll plant trees, yeah. But I want fruit/veg. Hmmm. Maybe I should start an organics group or something lol. Grow everything on campus! :D

UL sounds pretty good overall though. Kind of sucky about the air thingys though.
Btw, how many fire extinguishers do they actually have? And do the windows lock?

apple2

HSC
ambrose1 said:
hey guys. i just got accepted into John College and am extremely excited and can't wait to get to know some of you.
Cool! I also got accepted to Johns last Friday. I guess I shall see you, schmeag and Evilo there!!:rolleyes:

Evilo

HSC
apple2 said:
Cool! I also got accepted to Johns last Friday. I guess I shall see you, schmeag and Evilo there!!:rolleyes:
hahahha awesome, welcome to the club. Johns is a great place and you'll have a blast.

Evilo

HSC
bassistx said:
But don't trains operate between Syd/Can?
They are country link trains (long distance) and it doesnt actually run into canberra - its like a 20min taxi ride from the station to johns.
bassistx said:
The wall colours sound a bit... Blegh. Hmm. Not good.
its looks good, perhaps you should see some photos. It looks pretty spiffy for student accomodation.
bassistx said:
UL sounds pretty good overall though. Kind of sucky about the air thingys though.
Btw, how many fire extinguishers do they actually have? And do the windows lock?
Unsure about the entiguishers, at least one in the hallway.Windows lock yes.
Dude these are all baording house standards. Every window must have a lock, every hallway must have an extinguisher. ANU accom isnt the kind of stuff you see on today tonight lol ;)

blacksunset

HSC
Okay .. problem regarding accommodation.
I have been waiting for my offer - and when I log into the internet it's still saying academic offer made, and up the top it said bruce hall.. which was my first preference.
this morning it randomly changed to burton and garran hall - and my status stayed academic offer made... and i called up university accommodation services, and she said thats probably because i didnt get into the other colleges and ill end up at burton and garran !

has this happened to anyone else, coz im really upset as b&g was my last preference.. and i REALLY don't want to end up there (not anything against the college, more dont want to cook)

comments and pm's about this very much appreciated !!! :(

x

Evilo

HSC
sounds like you've been given your last preference. I spose you'll just have to make the most of that. I would accept it if iw as you - unless you want to live off campus, its a good community there and they keep johns on their toes with the sport shield.

It sucks getting your last pref, but a pref is better than nothing at all.

HSC
Trust me man, I know how you feel. But if you wanted UL you can have my offer lol. It seems weird that I didn't get B&G, yet it's obviously not full. Makes me feel super special about not being accepted!

Last edited:

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
I have been waiting for my offer - and when I log into the internet it's still saying academic offer made, and up the top it said bruce hall.. which was my first preference.
this morning it randomly changed to burton and garran hall - and my status stayed academic offer made...
I'm the same except I've still got my first preference (Burgmann) up the top there.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
evilo - do johns have balconies?

at bruce, later years in the normal catered section can apply for balcony rooms, where it's a standard size room but there's a shared balcony with the person next to you. same price as normal rooms, but they're hard to get cos everyone applies for them and they're pretty much given out on merit - how well you've contributed to the hall and all that.

got me one of those for this year :cool: sharing it with one of my friends, it'll be awesome. gonna set up hammocks on there and everything.

plus balcony parties = rad.

kretzy

HSC
My accommodation status still hasn't changed on the website. :(

It still has Fenner Hall at the top (but my 1st pref was B&G) and has said 'academic offer made' since Friday.

I hear mixed things about Fenner...is it really that bad? Should I look at other alternatives? I just don't want to have a bad experience up there.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
kretzy said:
My accommodation status still hasn't changed on the website. :(

It still has Fenner Hall at the top (but my 1st pref was B&G) and has said 'academic offer made' since Friday.

I hear mixed things about Fenner...is it really that bad? Should I look at other alternatives? I just don't want to have a bad experience up there.
you could always just go to fenner for a year and transfer somewhere else afterwards.

fenner's not great, but you'd still be able to have a good time.

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
hmmm wtfbbq my app has been on "application received" for Unilodge, my first preference, for like a week now. Should I be worried?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)