Information on Accommodation (1 Viewer)

Evilo

HSC
humphdogg said:
evilo - do johns have balconies?.
nah we dont mate. I know about the bruce balcony situation though - wish we had that too.

bassistx said:
Sucks about the trains.
Sorry to bring this up again, but i thought i would mention it. Remember that the majority of your friends are probably on the anu campus (so you wont need to travel far - unlike sydney). All the shops are within waking distance, and any things like that are accessable by bus. [Unlike sydney] the bus system is pretty damn good. I think jasont mentioned it before - its something like $1.50, you ask for a tranfer card and you can travel on as many busses as you like for 1.5 hrs.

kretzy

HSC
Just gave the accommodation people a call and they said that the next round of offers are most probably going to go out later this week or even early next week. All of the colleges are waiting for people to accept/reject the first round of offers they sent out and then as places become available they will be offered out.

The person I was speaking to also said not to be surprised if a strange (as in the name of the place, not one of the colleges) accommodation offer is made because ANU are having to outsource a lot of accommodation this year due to high demand.

bassistx

HSC
Pretty cool about the buses then!

More questions:
1. How much per load of laundry?
2. Do they provide fabric softener and bleach?
3. Are the washing machines top loaders or front loaders?
4. You said you can't connect tv/internet because there is no antenna. What about wireless net? Any reception/coverage available? If so, which networks?
5. (not accom. related) Would it be better to apply in 2009 for 2010 and then differ a year, or apply in 2010 for 2011?

Thanks! :)

Evilo

HSC
1. How much per load of laundry?
At uni lodge its something like $5, i think its $2or3 at B&G, most of the other halls are free

2. Do they provide fabric softener and bleach?
no

3. Are the washing machines top loaders or front loaders?

4. You said you can't connect tv/internet because there is no antenna. What about wireless net? Any reception/coverage available? If so, which networks?
Some bruce/ursula/fenner residents are able to connect to the anu network and can get 'some' free net (sometimes there is free internet in the common rooms and they can pick up a weak signal from their rooms). Otherwise thats it - and its only in selected rooms - just happens by luck.

5. (not accom. related) Would it be better to apply in 2009 for 2010 and then differ a year, or apply in 2010 for 2011?
i don't understand the question - I don't think you can apply for accom more than 6 months before you are scheduled to move in. More information is required sorry

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
kretzy said:
The person I was speaking to also said not to be surprised if a strange (as in the name of the place, not one of the colleges) accommodation offer is made because ANU are having to outsource a lot of accommodation this year due to high demand.
lol. Really? Will people be enrolled in like, "Holiday Inn Hall"?

Mezza295

HSC
kretzy said:
Just gave the accommodation people a call and they said that the next round of offers are most probably going to go out later this week or even early next week. All of the colleges are waiting for people to accept/reject the first round of offers they sent out and then as places become available they will be offered out.

Does that mean that if i haven't recieved an accom offer yet i haven't gotten any of my preferences???

Evilo

HSC
acaedemy house, anu college, and other "schools" like aihs i will assume - but i have no idea. I'll be interested in finding out. - i can sense alot of pissed off students though.

Last edited:

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
has this happened to anyone else, coz im really upset as b&g was my last preference.. and i REALLY don't want to end up there (not anything against the college, more dont want to cook)
A friend of mine is in exactly the same predicament.

i can sense alot of pissed off students though.
That as much should be evident. I wonder how ANU can keep up with its guaranteed accommodation for first years much longer.

Evilo

HSC
Schmeag said:
That as much should be evident. I wonder how ANU can keep up with its guaranteed accommodation for first years much longer.
Its building unilodge v2 as we speak, it will be completed by semester 2. :)

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Hey, I know that this might be trivial compared to the predicament a lot of other Bos Members are in, but my application has finally updated to "Accom Offer Made". However, after reading the email offer from John XXIII:

[FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE WITHIN 48 HOURS VIA RETURN EMAIL WHETHER YOU INTEND TO ACCEPT OR DECLINE THIS OFFER.
I replied that I intended to accept. I have not received any confirmation whatsoever (it still says "Accom Offer Made". Furthermore, I haven't received any confirmation of my academic offer yet (apart from the fact that John have offered me a place). Should I just trust that they know what they're doing? lol
[/FONT]

Evilo

HSC
Schmeag said:
Should I just trust that they know what they're doing? lol
[/FONT]
LOL - well.... thats a topical discussion.

i reckon they would have tried to contact you if they didnt get a reply. I say check the email address hasnt bounced then just hope cyberspace is on your side lol.

ambrose1

HSC
it will change from accom offer made to accom offer accepted only once they recieve your paperwork i.e. the attachments on the email. i rang up john to confirm that they got my reply so you could try that.

frederick.lee

HSC
Just got an email from ANU accomodation. Got accepted into Fenner Hall. =) even though its my third preference I'm quite excited to be coming to ANU!

*Off topic* does the enrolment date vary by degree? I'm studying BSc(Psych)/BLaw as a transfer student from USYD.

Evilo

HSC
enrolment for subjects? (occurs on the monday/tue of o-week) nah it will just depend on which hall you are from. I think thats what you mean by the question?

bassistx

HSC
No no no, I mean about the selectives... Oh nvm, I'll post the Q in another thread.

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
Woot! I got an offer from Burgmann! It was sent at 5:17PM today...

blacksunset

HSC
i called them the other day and they told me to be tolerant and patient. haha
i havent recieved my enrolment pack either, so if i dont get it tomorrow im gonna complain, and if an offer for accommodation doesnt come through soon im gonna start calling the colleges and asking if they have a spot for me lol

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
I haven't received my enrollment pack either. It's really annoying because without the student number in my enrollment pack I can't fill out the forms required to get my scholarship money transferred into my account so I can pay for accommodation!

And don't worry, I'm sure you'll get a spot. If not, you can sleep on my floor :p (j/k)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)