Information on Accommodation (1 Viewer)

HSC
I thought ANU gave new students preference over returning ones, considering second year students have had a whole year to adjust to Canberra and meet new people. :confused:

Evilo

HSC
they guarantee accomodation for first years, just not the location - hence why the shit has hit the fan this year. I'm suprised they didn't kick us, but they have already dipped into my bank account and taken the money. Also the colleges would have an uneven balance of 1st years if they let the place become 90% 1st years.

Adelya

HSC
I still haven't received an accommodation offer yet.... WORRIED! :S

Adelya

HSC
Mine also says Fenner Hall- academic offer accepted

I really wanted to live on campus... and I can't afford anything other than self catered so Burton and Garren and Fenner Hall were my first preferences

Also no licence or car...

So im hoping I don't end up with something expensive and far away :(
I would definitely look into those financial bursaries however....

Grr.... I can tell this will go wrong. Everything has been going wrong lately

Evilo

HSC
Fenner has a bus service that goes to and from fenner all day and night upto about midnight.

Adelya

HSC
I would be happy with Fenner Hall.... *is hoping*
But there is still no offer :(

kretzy

HSC
Adelya said:
I would be happy with Fenner Hall.... *is hoping*
But there is still no offer :(
Same here, even though my 1st pref was B&G. Its showing UniLodge at the top for me at the moment which I really would prefer not to get into - it starts to get really expensive once you add everything up.

I just want to know!!!! :(

kretzy

HSC
:( :( :( :(

Just got my email. UniLodge - 3 bedroom multishare - my last preference. I don't think I'll be able to afford it at $230 a week! I'm going to ring and BEG for something else.

HSC
Got an email from ANU today... and a call, but I was working. Got an offer for 3 bedroom multishare at UniLodge. $231/week without food. It's better than the $260 for the single. I'll definitely be looking into those bursaries. I'll try for a transfer into another hall for second semester. All round fairly good news here. It could have been worse, I guess. Hope I'm sharing with some good people. I must add that the $215 application fee is a slap in the face. UL also has a security deposit of $848. Does that mean we get this money back when we move out?

Last edited:

HSC
Check this out. This is from the email I was sent at 5:14:37 PM today. "Please note your application fee & security deposit must be received into our account by Thursday 31 January 2008. We will not be able to guarantee your offer of accommodation after the 31st January." Considering I didn't even get the email until after 5pm, which is after the banks close, there's no way the money will be in the bank by tomorrow, even if I sent it the minute the banks opens tomorrow. That's pretty unfair if you ask me. Maybe they'll be a bit lenient because of their F**K UP!

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
Evilo said:
I casually forgot to mention im a long distance runner :p Might take towards 20min, but is quite plausable when you get a route sorted. I looked it up on google maps - its 4km.
ooooh. same here. did you do IB last year?

kretzy

HSC
So I'm looking for places off campus as I don't think I'm going to accept UniLodge. A friend of a friend is getting a house in Chifley and is looking for roommates and it would work out to about $200 a week (thats including utilities and internet). Is Chifley to far out? According to google maps its about 15mins to ANU by car. Are there better suburbs to look at?

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
kretzy said:
So I'm looking for places off campus as I don't think I'm going to accept UniLodge. A friend of a friend is getting a house in Chifley and is looking for roommates and it would work out to about $200 a week (thats including utilities and internet). Is Chifley to far out? According to google maps its about 15mins to ANU by car. Are there better suburbs to look at?
accommodation in canberra = hard to find. take what you can get really, especially at this time of the year.

kretzy

HSC
humphdogg said:
accommodation in canberra = hard to find. take what you can get really, especially at this time of the year.
Yeah, that's what I hear. I mean somewhere within walking distance would be ideal, but this place is at least a proper house with lots of room and I wouldn't be locked into a 52 week contract like with UniLodge. Just means I'll have to drive it or maybe get the bus.

Evilo

HSC
humphdogg said:
well obviously :p

which div? guessing you're doing it again this year. started training yet?
wasn't in a very good div :p but oh well
hmm still not sure about this year, it took alot out of me, but we will see. No doubt ill end up doing it again lol.

blacksunset

HSC
i still havent recieved an email
although i went into anu the other day coz i was in canberra to check the palce out.. and they told me the dealio with accom. places like b&g have 500+ rooms, they only allowed 140 to be rented out to 1st eyars, coz the rest were taken for undergrads.. there are 580 people on the waiting list...

and so bruce and that only let out like 50... so no wonder there is a shortage.

blacksunset

HSC
01169 said:
I thought ANU gave new students preference over returning ones, considering second year students have had a whole year to adjust to Canberra and meet new people. :confused:
thats exactly what i thought and hence why i got shitty..
read my post above this one, and it tells u why there is a shortage...

Evilo

HSC
blacksunset said:
and so bruce and that only let out like 50... so no wonder there is a shortage.
I don't think thats right

Johns has 120 1st years every year, it would be very close to that for bruce (if not more)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)