Information on Accommodation (1 Viewer)

blacksunset

HSC
i dunno about johns i didnt ask - but im only going on what the university accommodation people and the individual halls told me..
its coz they had so many returning residents this year , like an overwhelming amount.

Evilo

HSC
fair enough - maybe they need to start treating the residents like shit to get them to move on :hammer:

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
Evilo said:
I don't think thats right

Johns has 120 1st years every year, it would be very close to that for bruce (if not more)
i've heard the number 80 being thrown around, but ask neo_o.

blacksunset

HSC
I just got accepted into B&G!
Although it's not my first preference (it's my last) I'm just glad to be accepted somewhere :)
Who am I going to know there?
x

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
Evilo said:
wasn't in a very good div :p but oh well
hmm still not sure about this year, it took alot out of me, but we will see. No doubt ill end up doing it again lol.
meh, me neither - div 6. found it really easy though, hoping to do div 3 this year. gotta train a fair bit though.

high divs seem to be really hard to get into in your first year, at bruce at least - they always seem to preference later years.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
blacksunset said:
i still havent recieved an email
although i went into anu the other day coz i was in canberra to check the palce out.. and they told me the dealio with accom. places like b&g have 500+ rooms, they only allowed 140 to be rented out to 1st eyars, coz the rest were taken for undergrads.. there are 580 people on the waiting list...

and so bruce and that only let out like 50... so no wonder there is a shortage.
last year's bruce intake was massive, was like 100 first years or something. not many people left at the end of last year though, so there's not as many free spots. 70-80 would seem about right.

and as of next year, there's no guarantee for later year students returning to bruce hall - you have to prove that you've contributed to the hall atmosphere etc etc to make sure you get to keep your place.

HSC
Hey I have a friends who's going to Fenner. What are the rules on staying over?

blacksunset

HSC
01169 said:
Hey I have a friends who's going to Fenner. What are the rules on staying over?
obviously i dont no exactly and ud have to ask, but im assuming they're not gonna do much, coz its uni.. and they're not gonna come in and inspect ur room at like 7 in the morning to see if there is anyone in there..

rositamadeline

questionable
HSC
hey are there many other people out there still left ambiguously in the ether waiting for accom and being told continually to be patient....
i was told i would get it today but despite raising my hopes ridiculously i did not. called the ever impatient and unhelpful team at anu accom and was informed they couldnt give me any info as to the type of accom i would be getting, how much it is likely to cost me and more of a locale than "somewhere in canberra" and that if i didnt like it than i should attempt to find other accomodation but that i had left it a little late to do so....
i was just curious if this is a common occurance or if it is a special ploy to make me cry

blacksunset

HSC
personally call the halls on your preferences list and ask them where you stand on their waiting list.
i went in and found out i was 4th on b&g's waiting list out of 580 - and so i was lucky enough to get an offer.
thats what i can think of...
and otherwise, canberra really isnt big, if u drive u can vget anywhere, and if u dont , you can probably either walk, ride or bus to wherever you want to go..

Adelya

HSC
I still haven't got an offer yet either... my friends all got theirs long ago and have accepted
Kind of annoyed because im going up to canberra to ANU on monday and I was hoping to check out where i'm going to be staying but its not looking as though I wil receive an offer before then

HSC
So once you send the money is that basically confirming you have accepted, and you're now locked in (40 odd week contract)? I was just wondering because late offers came out yesterday. What happens if we want to accept another offer? Surely there has to be signing of thing, yeah?

blacksunset

HSC
Adelya said:
I still haven't got an offer yet either... my friends all got theirs long ago and have accepted
Kind of annoyed because im going up to canberra to ANU on monday and I was hoping to check out where i'm going to be staying but its not looking as though I wil receive an offer before then
as i said before - just go up there, and go into the colleges where ou have prefereced (SORRY for my atrocious speling my keyboard is screwing up)
tell hem yu're sitution, and ask if they can tel u where u r on their waiting lists

HSC
What would people say the ratio of international to local students at UniLodge would be? By local I mean Australia, not Canberra or the ACT.

Evilo

HSC
quite high in the international - last year it was well above 60%.
This year its anyones guess - due to accom shortage.

kretzy

HSC
I'll be able to tell you soon enough...I caved and just excepted the offer for a place at UniLodge. Not sure how I'm going to afford it, but I'm sure I'll work something out.

HSC
So once you send the money is there any way of getting out of it? Got another offer with cheaper/better accommodation that I want to take.

Evilo

HSC
unsure, you would have to take it up with that hall/college. You'll probably lose your deposit... (the idea being that the money is used to 'secure' your place :) )

EDIT - you've already signed the contract right? yeah you can leave the contract, but it'll cost you.
EDIT2 - accepting one offer might automatically cut you from another preference? You dont want to get stuck in the middle. Contact UAS

Last edited:

HSC
I haven't signed anything yet. All I've done is transfer money to UniLodge. What I meant by another offer is that it's at a completely different uni, so I don't think that's a problem. Cheers for the reply, BTW. I hope it doesn't mean I lose my deposit... it was like $800!

HSC
kretzy said:
I'll be able to tell you soon enough...I caved and just excepted the offer for a place at UniLodge. Not sure how I'm going to afford it, but I'm sure I'll work something out.
Let me know if you do find out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)