International/global studies & law at USYD/UTS/UNSW (1 Viewer)

mckensara

HSC
i have no idea which one to choose as my first preference ( i have access to all three universities)
does anyone do this degree who could demonstrate the downsides?

right now i am pulled towards USYD, more or less because i have heard that arts is quite good there
i am (i know, original) interested in human rights as a general career path, though UNSW seems to project they are very interested in that area...

decisions decisions!
inform me?! :)

Last edited:

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Go to the university that won't cost your parents tens of thousands of dollars.

International studies is glorified arts. If that's what you're keen for then do it by all means.

Domm

HSC
I dunno, you can use international studies to learn a language which I think is a good skill. UTS is pretty good for this - you get to go on a year exchange and the uni gets your tickets and things and sets everything up.

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
what is that supposed to mean?
just fyi, im paying.
I don't think that the differential between UNSW/USyd and UTS is stark enough to justify the ludicrous expense of full-fee paid (if that's your plan, as it seems to be). If you go to UTS and you're any good (read: you get credits and distinctions), with your current ATAR you could transfer pretty easily. That way you can sample UTS and most likely bail if you hate it.

In international studies, you do arts courses with a mandatory time on exchange. If that's what you're into, then by all means jump in. If you're more interested in going on exchange than the arts courses, then there are law exchange places available, though they tend to be very competitive at least at UNSW (or, at least if you want to go to a decent university overseas).

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
broadway scheme, 4 at UNSW and i get into UTS.

i didnt think you could do fee paying anymore
Maybe you can't? I dunno. I'm a fair way out of applying for university degrees.... though, if the four extra points you're referring to at UNSW are in reference to the bonus scheme, those don't apply to law for obvious reasons.

If you have any interest in practicing law or entering business, you simply shouldn't go to UTS. Any advantages are more than outweighed by the reputational gain from going to UNSW or USyd.

Domm

HSC
There are UTS grads working in top tier firms ...? There's UWS kids as well. If you're interested in working in legal practice or business you can get there from UTS, UWS, Club Mac or all sorts of places. I used to have the usyd attitude as well. Then I realised it wasn't true and that semesters spent in the Storie Dixon building dreaming of being in a Russian bomb shelter instead didn't actually make me smarter, better or more capable.

On the other hand if you're a complete spud it doesn't matter whether it's a lion or an anchor at the top of the piece of paper.

Not to say that Flamearrows is. He's clearly a smart bunny. But he'll do well because he's a smart. So can you.

philphie

Banned
HSC
I don't think that the differential between UNSW/USyd and UTS is stark enough to justify the ludicrous expense of full-fee paid (if that's your plan, as it seems to be). If you go to UTS and you're any good (read: you get credits and distinctions), with your current ATAR you could transfer pretty easily. That way you can sample UTS and most likely bail if you hate it.

In international studies, you do arts courses with a mandatory time on exchange. If that's what you're into, then by all means jump in. If you're more interested in going on exchange than the arts courses, then there are law exchange places available, though they tend to be very competitive at least at UNSW (or, at least if you want to go to a decent university overseas).
well i can only speak for usyd, but at usyd you have compulsory core units that you can't do in any other degree and exchange OR languages isn't mandatory. thinking about it again i'd say liberal studies (international) at usyd would make a much better international relations course than the actual international relations course seeing how exchange is mandatory and i think a language as well, at least that way you won't have core compulsories

Kujah

HSC
N/A
The compulsory units were pretty crap at USyd, thats why I transferred out of International&Global Studies at USyd in Sem2. I think an exchange study for a semester overseas is compulsory in UNSW, as opposed to USyd.

philphie

Banned
HSC
The compulsory units were pretty crap at USyd, thats why I transferred out of International&Global Studies at USyd in Sem2. I think an exchange study for a semester overseas is compulsory in UNSW, as opposed to USyd.
yeah i heard that was discouraging for a lot of people. so what are you doing in liberal studies?

mckensara

HSC
thats interesting, how so?

i was also considering just a BA or perhaps in communications/media...
i am so indecisive.

philphie

Banned
HSC
thats interesting, how so?

i was also considering just a BA or perhaps in communications/media...
i am so indecisive.
just do a BA so we can be in the same class and complain about why we never did international relations

philphie

Banned
HSC
in all seriousness though, maybe consider doing international relations at ANU seeing how it is in Canberra some of your professors might work for the government and plus once you graduate, $internships$

but on that basis really it comes down to this:

do you want a former opposition leader as your chancellor; or a state governor?

bio_nut

HSC
Um, lol, in regards to the chancellor it doesn't fucking matter dude.

bio_nut

HSC
Yeah, but it shouldn't be because it doesn't matter, therefore, why encourage that line of thinking?

Jcc Lin

HSC
to me, that international thing at unsw sounds really attractive,
you would learn so much more once u r overseas by yourself and gain lot more life experience.

but thats just my personal opinion.:)

p.s law at usyd/unsw is always good too~~

Jcc Lin

HSC
:):):)
Maybe you can't? I dunno. I'm a fair way out of applying for university degrees.... though, if the four extra points you're referring to at UNSW are in reference to the bonus scheme, those don't apply to law for obvious reasons.

If you have any interest in practicing law or entering business, you simply shouldn't go to UTS. Any advantages are more than outweighed by the reputational gain from going to UNSW or USyd.
i think she is talking about the access scheme.~:):)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)