iPad. (1 Viewer)

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
It came out in stores a couple of days ago.

Who's fiddled with one/bought one? I like the idea, not the actual device. The iPhone O.S. was a poor choice. For instance, having to hit the home button instead of just "X-ing" out seems pretty tedious.

Opinions.

xMaNx

HSC
Home button is nice n easy, going from the iPhone, except I hate the idea that it cant function fully like a proper computer.

Will not get, even tho I want one.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Home button is nice n easy, going from the iPhone, except I hate the idea that it cant function fully like a proper computer.

Will not get, even tho I want one.
I reckon there should be a conventional "X" in the top left/right corner AND the home button. That'd be good.

xMaNx

HSC
an X will just turn it more into a computer sort of format, and both do the same thing, so imo Home screen is fine, but it's personal preference.

I like your idea however, it is annoying to go down on such a large screen just to exit an app.

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know much about this iPad but...

What is the appeal of a drastically oversized phone (which you can't - and wouldn't want to - make calls from)?

Why not just spend a bit more and get a laptop if you want a portable computing device of sorts?

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I don't know much about this iPad but...

What is the appeal of a drastically oversized phone (which you can't - and wouldn't want to - make calls from)?

Why not just spend a bit more and get a laptop if you want a portable computing device of sorts?
I believe it's the appeal of being able to take your work literally anywhere and not worry about having to lug a laptop around - ultimate portability. Plus, artist should eventually use the iPad like a portable WACOM tablet without the attached computer. Just making portable computing more computing, it's the same idea as a Tablet PC but they made an odd choice with the operating system.

xMaNx said:
... it is annoying to go down on such a large screen just to exit an app.
Exactly my point, and the "X" should cure that a little.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
I've got one, and it's pretty good, however I've gotten it for development.

Stuff it's great for: Reading PDFs, eBooks, Sketching and a few interactive apps like games. Battery life is amazing and music life on it just listening to music is a few days.

Stuff it's good at: Typing notes, surfing the web, managing email etc

Stuff it's bad at: Playing video (If you're not locked down to apple's formats etc) no silent switch so it makes a decent amount of noise

I havent' used it with a bluetooth keyboard but I'm sure it'd be a lot more usable if you did that (Grab a rollup/fold up one off eBay)

for a simple note taking etc device etc, it's great. It's incredibly light and super portable

also jailbroken for free apps and other manner of awesome shit.

Stuff that is good on it: iStudiez Pro, rules

Ask me any questions about it in the thread.

Basically if you've got a bit of spare money it's great for a couple of things but it's not revolutionary or magical. It's a good testing bed for multi touch applications for a fraction of the price of surface, basically.

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
I've got one, and it's pretty good, however I've gotten it for development.

Stuff it's great for: Reading PDFs, eBooks, Sketching and a few interactive apps like games. Battery life is amazing and music life on it just listening to music is a few days.

Stuff it's good at: Typing notes, surfing the web, managing email etc

Stuff it's bad at: Playing video (If you're not locked down to apple's formats etc) no silent switch so it makes a decent amount of noise

I havent' used it with a bluetooth keyboard but I'm sure it'd be a lot more usable if you did that (Grab a rollup/fold up one off eBay)

for a simple note taking etc device etc, it's great. It's incredibly light and super portable

also jailbroken for free apps and other manner of awesome shit.

Stuff that is good on it: iStudiez Pro, rules

Ask me any questions about it in the thread.

Basically if you've got a bit of spare money it's great for a couple of things but it's not revolutionary or magical. It's a good testing bed for multi touch applications for a fraction of the price of surface, basically.
you have one?
who's gonna take it outta the house and walk around with it. i dont understand the hype

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
you have one?
who's gonna take it outta the house and walk around with it. i dont understand the hype
Well I threw all of my textbooks onto it, so that's a few less kilos of shit to carry around.

notes wise penultimate absolutely rocks, particularly if you have a pogo stylus. Pogo stylus' are cheap (especially if you order them from dealextreme).

I use it to read shit on the bus/train and to take notes/have textbook stuff with for annotating PDFs and the like at Uni without having to drag a laptop to Uni.

Means I take <1Kg of stuff to uni (pen/paper + iPad)

xMaNx

HSC
Well I threw all of my textbooks onto it, so that's a few less kilos of shit to carry around.

notes wise penultimate absolutely rocks, particularly if you have a pogo stylus. Pogo stylus' are cheap (especially if you order them from dealextreme).

I use it to read shit on the bus/train and to take notes/have textbook stuff with for annotating PDFs and the like at Uni without having to drag a laptop to Uni.

Means I take <1Kg of stuff to uni (pen/paper + iPad)
This makes me want to get one now :(

Question: Which would you recommend, Wifi or 3G model? and how much storage is good?

Are iTouch/iPhone apps compatible on it?
Yeah

shuttle_bus5

HSC
I'd be waiting till they release at least version 3 of the iPad.
I never buy the first model of anything.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Is it fully compatible with the latest microsoft excel? (sorry if it is a stupid question - I dont even know much about iphone let alone an ipad).

I have a bunch of excel spreadsheets that I use often for neuro assessments, but the formulaes are pretty complicated - it has to be at least excel 2007.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Are iTouch/iPhone apps compatible on it?
Yeah, but they are very small on it unless you wanna double the size but not the pixels, so quality is a little down. They are making most of the apps iPad compatible but that is up to the developers in the end.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Is it fully compatible with the latest microsoft excel? (sorry if it is a stupid question - I dont even know much about iphone let alone an ipad).

I have a bunch of excel spreadsheets that I use often for neuro assessments, but the formulaes are pretty complicated - it has to be at least excel 2007.
It's Apple - so no. You'd probably be better off getting a netbook or one of the hundreds of other ___pads that suddenly appeared after the iPad was released.

I'm looking at this at the moment: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. :shy:

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
Yeah, but they are very small on it unless you wanna double the size but not the pixels, so quality is a little down. They are making most of the apps iPad compatible but that is up to the developers in the end.
Jailbreak + FullForce = pretty sweet quality iPhone apps, not great for games but really good for stuff like facebook, etc, stuff that uses the native APIs.

Jailbreak is plug into computer, press jailbreak button, welcome to jailbroken iPad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)